Consensus on Spring Fishing Show?

captpierre

It was much better than last year. Saw Charlie Ray from Fishful Thinking at Crestliner booth. Bought some musky lures from Handlebarz, and saw Pete. Bought the Compre musky rod from Shimano, and also bought the new bass X rod from St Croix for crankbaits.

I made the Drive down from just outside of Ottawa. Left at 4:45 AM and we made it in time for the morning seminars from JP De rose, Kevin Short, Gord Pyzer and a few others. We then spent the rest of our time walking around the booths talking to reps and checking out some sweet boats.

If Ottawa had a show even half as good as that was, I would be happy. Sadly, we don't have anything that casts a shadow to this. What we do have is a lot of stores doing in store promotions where they bring pro staff in which is nice but not the same.

I would definitely go to this show again.

My buddy was flogging his musky baits there.

James Linder popped by to check his wares out. :clapping:

16807822_10202791409582759_7965026163465

Over the years I bought a ton of Tony's Boo-Tails and they were some of the best and most productive musky baits I ever used.

The man makes some outstanding lures....real top quality.

Over the years I bought a ton of Tony's Boo-Tails and they were some of the best and most productive musky baits I ever used.

The man makes some outstanding lures....real top quality.

We've been good friends for over 30 years now.

He's a good dude and you are correct, his lures are first class.

Went to the show on Friday. had a good time shooting the breeze with all kinds of guys.

The days of going to the show and finding all sorts of great deals on fishing gear are long gone.

I assume that its because our $ is horrible now.

All in all a good show

I went on Sunday. I guess my memories of how big and good this show once was spoiled it for me. One tiny building! I could not believe how many vendors were not there. MNR did not even make an appearance. A lot of manufactures did not have booths either.

However, I did manage to spend a ton of money! I got a new Motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint GPS and Lowrance Hook 7 graph.

I just had a look at the Sportsman show coming in March to the International Center. They look to have a lot more booths. This is the one to go to in my opinion, but any day looking at fishing tackle is better than a day at home this time of year!

I went on Sunday and had a good time. picked up a G. Loomis E6X Jig and Worm spinning rod from JB's display for a good price. feels awesome. can't wait to use it.

loved playing with all the rods and reels I can't afford lol. Met some nice folks, including Dave Mercer who I had not met before. I do like his show.

it was better than last years I think. I know that the good old days are long gone, JB's was one of the largest displays but I guess that's because their retail location is fairly close.

With Le Barons gone, there wasn't that many retailers. Fishing World from Hamilton not there, no Sail display. no Gagnon's Sports etc. But then many haven't been there in a while.

is it the fees the show is charging for the booth rental space? Whats the main reason for the turnout of vendors now vs. the days of old??

Edited by 12 Volt Man

That must have been exciting... :tease: Was he planning his 100th show at Cree Lake? lol

Hahaha it was not exciting. I didnt even say hello. He looks about 10 years older in person to, I almost didnt recognize him. I dont care for his show. In one episode he was trying to pitch the bait bucket he was using (i know theyre paid to promote products, but it seemed really silly).

I went on Sunday. I guess my memories of how big and good this show once was spoiled it for me. One tiny building! I could not believe how many vendors were not there. MNR did not even make an appearance. A lot of manufactures did not have booths either.

However, I did manage to spend a ton of money! I got a new Motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint GPS and Lowrance Hook 7 graph.

I just had a look at the Sportsman show coming in March to the International Center. They look to have a lot more booths. This is the one to go to in my opinion, but any day looking at fishing tackle is better than a day at home this time of year!

This particular show has never been very big. There used to be an OFAH show in same location and time slot. It was larger. They were taken over by the Sportsman Show; and then Andy Pallotta started a new show using the same time and location. The new show was never as big as the old show nor the Sportsman Show.

I used to remember it being better when I was younger. I heard it's very expensive to rent booths at these shows ...also the internet and large retail stores has made this show less popular

pppfffttt to the $15 of the show.

Only deal I saw was on carrot stix rods . I miss le baron they kept prices in check around these parts.

The old Mississauga Le Baron location will soon be a Marine Mart store (also from Québec). I will check it out when they open at the end of March. With West Marine gone, there are not that many places for boating accessories. I heard West Marine was expensive here. I had only been in a few US stores.

The old Mississauga Le Baron location will soon be a Marine Mart store (also from Québec). I will check it out when they open at the end of March. With West Marine gone, there are not that many places for boating accessories. I heard West Marine was expensive here. I had only been in a few US stores.

Maybe the same owners of Le Ole Barons ?

Mr.B, while your there, hit the Brants meat factory store just down around the corner. Fresh smoke meats and many other things to enjoy. Open Thurs to sat. ;)

BTW, I stopped going to the shows. Like you said, not like they were . Maybe I was spoiled by the old shows. They were entertaining. :good: