Perching on Simcoe

DanD

Just back from a few days on Lake Simcoe. The fishing was decent; not crazy one after another but steady. Three days fishing and I lost count of the perch brought in, along with a number of herring in the mix. I did keep a limit of perch, which gave me 11lbs of fillets; so they were all a good size.

IMG_1277_zpshy2qcfif.jpg

It was also an educational weekend for me and my trailer/hut building project. The way I built the trailer, too be strong enough to handle the roads, is just too heavy to pull through wet, heavy snow; at least it is for my 500 Ski doo. Only made it 2Klm out and all but smoked the belt on the machine. Couldn't do anything about it, so we set up there in 16 feet of water.

The day wasn't a complete loss, we caught a few fish and I got to meet Sinker and his wife, when they stopped at the hut; on their way back to shore.

( Sinker.

It was bad fuel that caused the running issue with my sled. Drained and refilled with fresh and that misfire disappeared )

The next morning I made arrangements with a guy too pull the hut out to the perch grounds. A big thank you to Justin at the bait shack and Brian with his side by side tracked machine. We set up a few hundred yards off of Tim Hale's tree line, close to a pack of other huts; in 30 some odd feet of water. Going back up Saturday, get a few more hours in fishing and then hopefully get Brain to drag the hut back in for me.

Side note.

I will never set foot into the hut operator's trailer or ever spend a dime at his operation; that is at the access point in Beaverton.

Arrogant A hole!!!

I went in with a hundred dollar bill in my hand, to ask if I could hire him to haul the hut out for me. this is the owner's response "I'm not hooking my equipment to someone else's F%#&ing junk"

OK a simple NO would have sufficed????

Dan.

Edited by DanD

That is too bad about the operator

I had a dealing with one from Beaverton too

News reports and police and others always said

Ask the Hut operators about ice conditions before you venture out

So I did. The guy said to me if you don't know the conditions rent a hut or take your chances. He was there to run a business not give out free info.

Anyway. 11 lbs of perch sounds good to me.

Floyd Hales? Bizarre, they used to be an excellent outfit. I actually had a Hales bomber run a couple of feet off of our portable shack on his way out and again on the way in 2 years ago. We where way off of his trail, and hundreds of yards from Hales huts fishing a waypoint from the open water season. He actually had to go well out of his way to take a run at us. It shocked me and I assumed it was a one off from a dummy employee. Maybe not.

Well lets just say the next time it HAILS in downtown Beaverton; this operator's equipment is under cover. Wouldn't want someones else's junk damaging his equipment. LOL

After going through all the crap of getting the hut out on the ice; I had a great time. Hearing my 70 year old brother in-law, hollering "tip-up" and running like a teenager for his line; it was like being kids again.

Monday & Tuesday, I was out there by myself and I couldn't believe how fast the time went; it had to be one of the most relaxing times I have ever had.

Dan.

Floyd Hales? Bizarre, they used to be an excellent outfit. I actually had a Hales bomber run a couple of feet off of our portable shack on his way out and again on the way in 2 years ago. We where way off of his trail, and hundreds of yards from Hales huts fishing a waypoint from the open water season. He actually had to go well out of his way to take a run at us. It shocked me and I assumed it was a one off from a dummy employee. Maybe not.

Not good word for Hales, given his bombardier went through the ice recently as well.

I though you usually fish out of cooks bay, and park at Dave's place?

Yes I usually do; but wanted to try someplace different.

The ice reports for the East side sounded better; plus the last I read about the snow depth on the ice was minimal on the East side.

That was of course before the dump of snow that hit the lake Friday night. LOL

Dan.

Nice to get out there alone Dan sometimes and just kick back. 11 pounds of Perch, when the fish fry?

Not good to hear about Hales, many here recently raved about them. Maybe a bad day to ask for help. Everyone thinks that if you own a business you are making great money. He may have just did the books and realized he is working for free this season.

Nice to get out there alone Dan sometimes and just kick back. 11 pounds of Perch, when the fish fry?

Not good to hear about Hales, many here recently raved about them. Maybe a bad day to ask for help. Everyone thinks that if you own a business you are making great money. He may have just did the books and realized he is working for free this season.

There are two Hales outfits in Beaverton. Both have good reputations. I've never used Tim Hales, but I've never heard a bad thing about him. I have used Floyd Hales many times in the past (been quite a few years). And they where always top notch. The incident I described was with a Floyd Hales bomber. And as I mentioned, I assumed it was a one off with an employee with a bad attitude. Given Dans experience with the same outfit, maybe it wasn't. I still couldn't dump all over them without more info, but no doubt Dans incident is as described.

Not all Hale's are created equally?

Dan.

I have never had any dealings with Floyd Hales operation but I have been using Tim Hales services for a couple of years now and haven't a single bad thing to say about him or his staff.

Glad you got out there and got some fishing in, 11 lbs of perch fillets is quite a haul :clapping: .

Edited by Big Cliff

Invited a couple of the neighbors over, for a perch supper last night; it was like serving candy to them.

The one guy had never had perch before and he cleaned his plate a number of times. LOL

Dredged the fillets in egg yoke, coated them in Italian seasoned bread crumbs and then fried up in butter.

Oh Man they were good; but I don't really need to tell you people that; I just had too. LOL

Dan.

Invited a couple of the neighbors over, for a perch supper last night; it was like serving candy to them.

The one guy had never had perch before and he cleaned his plate a number of times. LOL

Dredged the fillets in egg yoke, coated them in Italian seasoned bread crumbs and then fried up in butter.

Oh Man they were good; but I don't really need to tell you people that; I just had too. LOL

Dan.

Dang it bud, you've got my mouth watering. Honestly, perch is probably my favourite all time fresh water fish. I'll take it over pike, walleye, trout and crappie any day.

Glad to hear you were able to introduce the neighbours to it. Now they'll mow your lawn and shovel your drive when you are out catching more. :w00t:

Dan, try cutting the fillets in to strips and dropping them in salted boiling water. Boil until they are no longer translucent. Cool off in the fridge, serve cold. Have some shrimp cocktail sauce handy for for dipping.

Neighbour may ask to marry you!!!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Stop it right now with all this talk of eating perch, stop please.

To spice them up a bit I mix Montreal Steak Spice in with the breadcrumbs. To deep fry anything really crispy always dry/wet/dry. Dredge in flour first then wet mixture then crumbs. Kellogg Corn Flakes make a great breading too, Ritz Cheeze crackers are great. There are all kinds of breadings other than bread crumbs that work great. Just this morning I saw on TV where they were trying to duplicate the KFC secret recipe that KFC uses egg whites only as their wet dip before going into the secret dry mix. You can make Italian breadcrumbs simply by adding a bit of dried oregano, basil and garlic powder, basically what I do by adding Mont. Steak Spice, it and more is all in there, be careful with salt as MSS has plenty in it already, I don't salt anything when I use steak spice in the dish until I taste test.To really spice it up add Parmesan cheese to any crumbs too.

Now no more talking about Perch scarfs unless it includes an invitation to us all.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Dan, try cutting the fillets in to strips and dropping them in salted boiling water. Boil until they are no longer translucent. Cool off in the fridge, serve cold. Have some shrimp cocktail sauce handy for for dipping.

HH

I gotta try this. If it works my mom might make me the sole beneficiary on her will. :tease:

My favs for perch batter are any type of crushed up chips. Lays BBQ and Doritos sweet chili heat are my 2 go to.

I also tried the breakfast cereal 'Cinnamon toast crunch' once and it worked out well.

So many possibilities.

HH

I still have about a pound or so leftover and I'm going to try that; sounds great!

Dan.