Sport License for Muskie fishing?

Tjames09

A friend of mine brought this up when we were ice fishing, as I bought a conservation license this year since i'm basically 100% C&R fishing and have no use for sport license for possession limits. He mentioned that you need a sport license to target muskie as the C&R limit is zero.

It seems the regulations arent super clear, but it does say this:

C-1; any size
  • for anglers with a conservation licence
  • catch and possession limit of 1
  • no size restriction

If the limit is 0, you may only practise catch and release. (You must immediately release any of this species back into the water without harming the fish.)

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-limits-size-restrictions-and-catch-and-release#section-7

Thoughts?

If in doubt tell the CO you were fishing for Perch after heaving out one of those massive Musky bricks you nuts use!!

I have been told by a CO you can angle for them but they must be released immediately. I was always under the impression with a Con. licence possession is zero, not 1. I don't know where TJames copied that quote from. Immediately to me means right away, no picture taking, measuring, admiring. If I recall a few Pro's making a TV show were charged for taking a picture of a out of season Bass. I don't know about reviving it in a livewell. I wouldn't even bring it onboard. On my Musky charter any smaller fish that wasn't going to be photographed Dan Columby de hooked the fish in the net and released it from the net without touching the fish. One fish that was hooked deep he cut the hook off with bolt cutters and let it slide out of the net.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Legally any fish that doesnt fall within the measurements or that is caught out of season must be released, regardless of the condition of the fish.

To make this totally clear, you may angle for the musky, you may not keep any.

It is no different than in parry sound harbour where the lake trout season is open, however the catch limit is 0.

You can fish all day and catch 100 but you immediately have to put them all back. No CO is going to crush you for taking a photo with a fish that is in season.

If you are poaching Bass off of their spawning beds or throwing twin 10s at skis out a season and then taking photos thats an entirely different story.

ill tell you right now if i catch a 55 inch georgian bay musky out of season on walleye gear, its getting a photo before the release, im just not going to post it on social media lol

Edited by AKRISONER

If you're targeting bass out of season you can be charged with that even if you release them in the water and I wouldn't want to be the guy throwing musky baits with a conservation licence if your going to fish for them buy the sport licence or should we just forget about all the rules lol.

Tight Lines SBK :dunno:

If the limit is zero then its zero for sport or con. Unless it specifically says no fishing with con and doesn't specify a different limit then its the same.

You can't keep less then zero..and half of zero is still zero

If you're targeting bass out of season you can be charged with that even if you release them in the water and I wouldn't want to be the guy throwing musky baits with a conservation licence if your going to fish for them buy the sport licence or should we just forget about all the rules lol.

Tight Lines SBK :dunno:

why wouldn't you want to be the guy fishing for musky with a cons. license? the SPORT limit is one. meaning you can legally keep 1 musky with a sport license, doesn't mean you have to stop fishing them once you kept your one fish. or do you stop fishing once you reach your limit?

You can fish for them no problems what so ever, you just can't keep any. but really, who keeps a musky anyway?