Cougars in Haliburton

chris.brock

Talking to the old timers and guys who have been trapping in Haliburton for 40 plus years, they all say there are no wild felines around. No lynx, bobcats or cougars. They've never seen one, never trapped one, and never heard of anyone shooting one.

Me and other people have seen tracks around the Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Provincial Park of what we think are big cats.

The best I have seen were in sand at a dump.

My parents were snowshoeing in the bush on the weekend. They again saw rabbit and big cat prints. They think the cat was still nearby.

Anyone else have any info on this sort of stuff? I'm leaving out one detail when my parents thought the cat was close just to see if anyone else says something similar.

print_zps0o71mc7u.jpg

Many (MANY) years ago my grandmother had a place on Haliburton lake (Fort Irwin) and she had told me of a time when there was a big cat (lynx or bobcat) that she would see from time to time on her property at the edge of the road.

There was a place at Mt.Pleasant & Eglington in the city where cougars could be found called The Chicken Deli some 20 years ago, now they'd be known as Battle Cats but I digress, would be incredibly awesome to see a big cat in the wild

Ive seen em. And consider myself blessed to have done so.

Ive never seen an animal cover ground so quickly and leap probably 30 yards in a single bound chasing waboos

Ive seen em. And consider myself blessed to have done so.

Ive never seen an animal cover ground so quickly and leap probably 30 yards in a single bound chasing waboos

Those waboos hunting ones from the C-D area were UBER predators! That place scared me most times cause of it!!

As much as I like the idea of cougars in the area, I still am not convinced. I know a bunch of folks that basically work and live in the bush - biologists, foresters, trappers - and also know that game cameras are all over the place: but no photos, no solid tracks, no scat, no kill sites, no credible witness. I am still waiting to be convinced.

As much as I like the idea of cougars in the area, I still am not convinced. I know a bunch of folks that basically work and live in the bush - biologists, foresters, trappers - and also know that game cameras are all over the place: but no photos, no solid tracks, no scat, no kill sites, no credible witness. I am still waiting to be convinced.

we have a customer who has a picture of one sitting on the hood of his car in the dive way at his cottage, he called the mnr told them, and was told that there were no cougars in the area......

we have a customer who has a picture of one sitting on the hood of his car in the dive way at his cottage, he called the mnr told them, and was told that there were no cougars in the area......

Sounds about right!

We had a dead one on the weigh scale at work about 12 years ago. Right there. Wish I had a cell phone then.

Called MNR, 30 or so employees sitting around checking it out.

MNR arrives, hmmmm, there are no cougars in this area.

Ummmm ok, so this one died as it fell from space???

We picked up some scat and urine. I called the MNR to see if they want it. I'm waiting to hear back.

There has to be the odd cougar around. I've heard stories but nothing confirmed. I spent a lot of summers around the boskung's and my neighbour up there said he's only seen a lynx once, in the late 80s. It would be cool to see what produced the scat you picked up.

I remember those chicken deli cougars. Fierce animals.

About 20 years ago one early morning I'm just about to have my coffee and I hear my lady just screaming outside about her cat. What the? I went out on the deck and not 10 feet from me a Cougar, definitely a big Cougar, is sauntering along and down the rocks to the beach. It had shoulders the size of a linebacker and just seemed to ignore all the carrying on. By the time it got 1/2 way down to the beach I had gone inside and locked the patio door. One Cougar can handle another much larger Cougar I'm sure. She wasn't impressed by my protective instincts. I said I went to get a big knife.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

One winter at our place in Grand Valley both of my parents saw a large cat in our back yard.

I asked them to describe it to me and it was definitely a cougar.

Wish they thought of taking a pic. :(

Back when I did not KNOW that there are no cougars here in Ontario, I saw one cross the road ahead of me near Algonquin Park. Must have been a vision, since the MNR keep on stating that they don't exist here. :whistling:

And a fellow I know who has property along the River Clyde near Lanark saw a cougar there multiple times in one season back a few years ago.......

I will be interested to hear the results of the MNR analysis.

Doug