Mixed emotions

Big Cliff

Well this winter is getting old already, I think we've had more "snow days" so far than in all of last winter. The one thing I have been really looking forward to though is getting out and doing some ice fishing with my son!

While I really don't like cold weather, it's a necessity naturally so these last few days have been sort of welcomed. I keep hoping to hear "ice reports" especially from reliable hut operators but so far these seem to be lacking.

Tonight I heard on the radio that after this brief cold spell temperatures are going to return to normal or slightly above for the rest of Jan. and probably hold there through Feb.. :clapping: for the heating bills :( for getting time ice fishing!

Says the guy that needs an 62ft extenstion

Hows fishing been up at the topo the earth?

Haven't even gone out yet this winter.

Trying to figure out how I'm going to get my materials up to the cabin this year.

Got all of 4" of snow in the bush. My sled doesn't like riding on rocks!!! :(

we probably have close to 2 feet of ice by now though, Been pretty warm so far this year.

Looking like I'm going to have to move snow off the lake onto my trail to get a good base.

You know where I can get one of those snow making machines they use @ the ski resorts cheap? :whistling:

Trying to figure out how I'm going to get my materials up to the cabin this year.

we probably have close to 2 feet of ice by now though, Been pretty warm so far this year.

Looking like I'm going to have to move snow off the lake onto my trail to get a good base.

You know where I can get one of those snow making machines they use @ the ski resorts cheap? :whistling:

You need Terrys Yamadooo :D

Wow thats a bummer! Nature I spose eh? We have had about 3ft of white stuff in NW ontario so far, and shes been purdy cold lately.

Hopefully ya get some snow so ya can haul up materials and build.

In the meantime go for a fish! Or a rum, or both!

Can't wait to getto Nip for our 35 year reunion. I don't know if everyone is going on the ice though. I'm sitting here watching Erie freeze. So far the Farmers Almanac is wrong. We have had a total of 2" of snow here, maybe. Cold a few days, mostly freezing rain up till this week. New Years Eve in Hamilton you didn't need a coat.

Sadly the weather had been horrendous for ice fishing this year.

Went to Haliburton to fish a back lake. Walked about a kilometre in 2-2.5 feet of snow. Took almost 2 hours, almost killed me and I said forget it.

Met a trapper who owns the line in that area and he mentioned ice is slushy, not very safe. All the snow is insulating it.

Oh well. Maybe simcoe will freeze over soon. Fingers crossed.

Floyd Hales is putting huts out today, so I would think its safe to assume Tim Hales is as well. Port bolster isn't as lucky, the ice is still a bit sketchy there.

S.

Thank you for the heads up! Got my ice rods out of storage yesterday, going to put fresh line on them today and get my ice bag all set up, hope to be on the ice in the next few days. :)

Thank you for the heads up! Got my ice rods out of storage yesterday, going to put fresh line on them today and get my ice bag all set up, hope to be on the ice in the next few days. :)

I'm planning on fishing out of beaverton on tues or wed next week. Do you still have your atv? Your welcome to join us if you have a machine.

S.

I'm planning on fishing out of beaverton on tues or wed next week. Do you still have your atv? Your welcome to join us if you have a machine.

S.

No, sadly I don't have it anymore. Gave my portable to Brian a couple of years back, sold my ATV last fall, gave my sleigh and my auger to my son, gave my floater suit to another OFCR. All I have left is a couple of rods and a bit of tackle. Can't walk too far so that's why I use an operator now. To be honest, it costs me less than it cost to insure the ATV for a year and I don't have to do any Work!

Thank you though, I would love to fish with you any time!

No, sadly I don't have it anymore. Gave my portable to Brian a couple of years back, sold my ATV last fall, gave my sleigh and my auger to my son, gave my floater suit to another OFCR. All I have left is a couple of rods and a bit of tackle. Can't walk too far so that's why I use an operator now. To be honest, it costs me less than it cost to insure the ATV for a year and I don't have to do any Work!

Thank you though, I would love to fish with you any time!

Ok, we can work something out then. I usually go out with hales once or twice a season too....for the same reasons you do....its just easy LOL.

S.