JUST WAN"T TO ASK

Pasquale

JUST WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION THIS MORINING, MAYBE IT'S MORE LIKE A COMENT.

I WAS FISHING COOKS BAY ON SATURDAY, HAD A GEAT DAY OUT. CAUGHT 8 NICE PIKE THE BIGGEST ONE WAS 38 1/2 INCHES LONG. THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT SATURDAY WAS ALL THE OTHER BOATERS ON THE WATER (NOT FISHING) WERE FLYING THROUGH THE BAY, IT ALMOST SEEMS LIKE THEY DUE IT ON PURPOSE.

THE ODD BOAT WOULD SLOW DOWN AND WAVE TO ME AND THEN CONTINUE ON ITS WAY, BUT FOR THE MOST PART PEOPLE WERE JUST HAMMERING THE GAS PAST ALL THE FISHING BOATS. I JUST THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS STUPID. I GUESS SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T HAVE ANY COMMAN SENSE, OR MAYBE THEY DO AND JUST DON'T CARE.

It seems to get worse every year. I live in Ottawa and the Rideau river has to be the worse spot for this kinda behavior , The river on the lower end is not very wide and people just fly around not even caring about canoes or kayaks let alone other boats. And these huge and I mean huge cabin cruisers are all over the river and they make big wakes. Last week two boats collided sending three people to the hospital and there were charges.

Last year I was out with some friends and a power boat with a water skier I guess thought it would be funny to come real close to us and spray us. If I could have caught up to them the guy would have paid dearly.

I think they need to come up with a way to make sure everyone on the water has a liscense not just a boaters card and if they act irresponsible it should be taken away just like a car lisence. I know this will never happen and the police are not all over the waterways to catch these people. If this ever happens to me again I will try to get the boat number or at least a pic and I will call the police.

Fact is there are alot more people on the water now and alot of people just dont see that they are doing anything wrong.

I hear ya BUT! Were you put in any danger or were you just ticked off because they bothered you?

I live right near a reasonably busy chanel and you would be surprised how many fishing boats insist on fishing in the chanel or close to it. If other boaters slowed down every time they came near a fishing boat, they would never get up on plane.

Often, slowing down and taking your boat off plane results in a bigger wake than staying on plane. That doesn't mean that commonsense shouldn't apply, a couple of kids in an canoe shouldn't be out in a busy chanel but they do it sometimes. Right or wrong, they don't deserve to get swamped. In fact, you could get charged!

Perhaps slowing down and explaining to them that they aren't in a very safe place might be a good option. Safe or not though, they do have a right to be there and in most cases you are obliged to approach and pass them in a safe manner and give them the right of way.

Now, some idiot buzzing around you at full speed when you are fishing or cutting closer to you than they need to...... well, that is called dangerous operation and if you can get their registration # and report it, they could get charged!

Sorry about the cap locks, and no I'm not yelling, I took the boater coarse apoprox- 4 years ago but didn't start baoting until 2 years ago. I know most of the rules but i just wanted to post a comment because I just found that there were alot of dump boaters out there. I see a alot of boats fishing in bewteen the bouyies which to be is not the smart thing to do. It just seemed like people just want to show off, which is fine but when your putting other people in danger to me that's not right.

It is an excellent thread:

I agree, it is never right to put someone else in danger because of your actions but sometimes people put themselves in danger because of their actions!

Do unto others.... is my motto.

How many times have we seen someone's complaint about others start with " I was fishing this channel". If your fishing in a channel and others have to slow down for you, you are restricting the flow of traffic and can be charged.

There is no speed limit on most open water and a lot of the speed limit signs we do see are not legal due to the red tape involved in putting up a sign. Boating regs. are written so as not to restrict shipping.

There is no "my space" around your boat, a lot of people here seem to think there is and are easily offended.

The faster most boats go the less wake they put out so don't be offended by it, The last thing you want is a deep V to drop down and pass you at 10n

The small boat regs do prohibit careless operation of a vessel. This means no one is allowed to operate a small vessel without due care and attention or reasonable consideration for other people . I guess some peoples reasonable consideration is different than others but if you are placed in danger then the offender should be charged.

Your not going to see a boaters license any time soon because no branch of gov. is interested in issuing them, there is a good chance that by 2009 when all boaters need the operators card that the card will be dropped due to non compliance.

Yes its happening more and more all the time,with more people using the waterways....and they have no respect for fishermen,all those sea-doos whipping around and speedboats flying through marked channels,as well as no-wake signs,and no respect for cottage owners property with erosion,and smashing thier boats on the docks...more police and enforcement is needed...but like that will happen....maybe they need to have commercials...or take adds in the paper....it makes us so mad....like weekends in the kawarthas....i dont even fish them anymore because off all the boat traffic...its insane..... :dunno::angry:

There is lots of room to boat on Simcoe without buzzing people fishing. We enjoy fishing, I also like to rip around on the water doing donuts etc, pull kids tubing and wakeboarding....with a little courtesy and common sense we manage do that without disturbing fishermen.

People do choose to fish in the oddest locations, right outside designated swimming beaches at Balsam or Sibbald PP's....of course there will be PWC's there, families bring them to enjoy a day at beach and on water. See guys anchored fishing off Goerski's on Scugog, right in main channel. Other boats tubing and just racing around, so many spots to anchor why pick a high traffic area.

Guest lundboy

Hi Fishtank;

Cooks Bay is my home water. Weekends are rather busy on the bay and you will have some who are joy riders that have no other intention on the weekend than to annoy people that are trying to fish. The last time I was out there were two craft out there in front of the Crates break-wall. One was an inflatable raft with a 40hp on it and two teens in it. The other was a red older boat with a 75 on it that were buzzing the area back and forth weaving in and out between at least 10+ fishing boats and some of them were anchored. These two boats were together, both manned by teens and the red boat was even more annoying because they kept blowing the horn as much as they could, and making a wake. Turns out they were from a scout group of some sort and were being egged on by a bunch in a yacht moored in Crates.

It also seems that this sort of thing is worse at the beginning of the season than it is later... I guess as new boaters and kids come of age to drive higher powered craft. I have noticed that Cooks Bay Police patrol by York Regional is down from what it used to be. They do keep 2 boats docked at Crates, and in previous years both used to be out full time on the weekends, now I usually see them both docked or only one out.

Also speed limits are in effect for operation of a craft within 30 meters from shore:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/TP/TP511/environment.htm

"Provinces from Ontario, westward to and including British Columbia (inland waters only in British Columbia) have adopted province-wide restrictions limiting speed to 10 km/h within 30 m (98’ 5”) from shore on all waters within their boundaries, except for:

* Waterskiing, where the boat follows a trajectory perpendicular to the shore

* In rivers less than 100 m (328’ 1”) in width, or canals or buoyed channels

* In waters where another speed is prescribed under a schedule to the regulations

This limit is not posted."

Here is a link to the Office of Boating Safety. They have a sign which they encourage anyone to post at local docks and loading ramps explaining the expected behavior and where to report incidents.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/careless.htm

Other than that, yes Cooks Bay is busy on the weekends, but I have noticed a decline in the last two years... I think because of gas prices.

Edited by lundboy

How many times have we seen someone's complaint about others start with " I was fishing this channel". If your fishing in a channel and others have to slow down for you, you are restricting the flow of traffic and can be charged.

There is no speed limit on most open water and a lot of the speed limit signs we do see are not legal due to the red tape involved in putting up a sign. Boating regs. are written so as not to restrict shipping.

There is no "my space" around your boat, a lot of people here seem to think there is and are easily offended.

The faster most boats go the less wake they put out so don't be offended by it, The last thing you want is a deep V to drop down and pass you at 10n

The small boat regs do prohibit careless operation of a vessel. This means no one is allowed to operate a small vessel without due care and attention or reasonable consideration for other people . I guess some peoples reasonable consideration is different than others but if you are placed in danger then the offender should be charged.

Your not going to see a boaters license any time soon because no branch of gov. is interested in issuing them, there is a good chance that by 2009 when all boaters need the operators card that the card will be dropped due to non compliance.

WOW this is great, it spoke to a couple of people about this web site and they said that the OFNers on this site are very helpful, and you know what you guys and gals are. So I guess the answer to my post is fish at your own risk

and most of all fish with both eyes open because you never know what will hapen on the water.

WOW this is great, it spoke to a couple of people about this web site and they said that the OFNers on this site are very helpful, and you know what you guys and gals are. So I guess the answer to my post is fish at your own risk

and most of all fish with both eyes open because you never know what will hapen on the water.

I would hafta agree with you, your safety first, cant help what those idiots do, but like others said make sure u arent the one in the wrong doing, meaning channels and such. this is a great topic too bad we couldnt get some of those idiots on here to explain their side of the story :)

The lakes we fish are for the most part public this means fishing boats,pontoon boats, water skier`s and even the jet skier`s have equal right to use the water.

I happen to fish Scugog a lot and at times you will see the marked channel in front of Goreski`s clogged with fishing boats kinda hard for a guy in a 40 foot cruiser to weave his way through the mess.

I find for the most part people are pretty courteous on the water but there are exceptions personally I find other small fishing boats to be a pain in the arse, numerous times I have had other fisherman drive right through where I am fishing not 30 feet or so from where I`am casting.

If, somehow, I approach a boat that I wasn't expecting or did not see until I was close, I maintain full plane as Cliff has said. This produces the least wake (other than dead slow of course).

Anglers are usually more considerate boaters than non-anglers in my experience.

If you are in a channel, then you are in an open area and the travelling boat has the ROW. But, boaters are always responsible for their wake.,

Not something I'm proud of, or would even suggest but we were kids, maybe 30 years ago, we used to do alot of family fishing trips to North Beach PP and in the evening stay a the village motel in Wellington, ont. One day two guys kept running just off shore cutting several of our lines, sure enough re-tie cast out and it's like they were wainting for us to go threw the whole routine and again right over our lines after the third time we got wise into the tackle box put on the nice 1 oz sinkers and make a false cast and wait just as they make thier approch we grab the rods, take aim and fire don't remember hitting either of them but they sure didn't make another pass. Hope it wasn't any of our board members if it was SORRY. Kids will be kids

Here in Pa we have a lot of horse power restricted lakes. I fish THEM as much as possible. No problem on them. Other lakes are unrestricted so on them I feel its THEIR lake & let the jet Ski- & power boaters have a wide birth. :Gonefishing:

I was taught to always slow down to pers fishing or paddling, swimming etc. Also to keep my distance to other boaters. Channel or no channel. There is just too many stupid, ignorant, and its me , myself and I attitudes. This is a no brainer thread. Common courtesy should prevail. Yea last week I was trolling in a meandering river between 2 lakes and this Idiot cut my line not even looking or slowing down. Could of ran me over if I was in a canoe.