Good luck in zone 17 tonight

Dutch01

Dan, we haven't had any ice here on Erie for 2 years. The 2 bad years before that were the first ice we had for years. The water was so cold the Perch were in 30 feet of water. Couldn't get to them that far out. The pressure cracks looked like mountain ranges and the pack ice on the shoreline was over 15 feet high in most places for a mile out. Most outfitters in Long Point Bay have packed the business in. Nipissing for me this January. First time on the ice in 12 years. I can't wait, I can't believe I said that.

edit: only FishFarmer went that far out.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Dan, we haven't had any ice here on Erie for 2 years. The 2 bad years before that were the first ice we had for years. The water was so cold the Perch were in 30 feet of water. Couldn't get to them that far out. The pressure cracks looked like mountain ranges and the pack ice on the shoreline was over 15 feet high in most places for a mile out. Most outfitters in Long Point Bay have packed the business in. Nipissing for me this January. First time on the ice in 12 years. I can't wait, I can't believe I said that.

edit: only FishFarmer went that far out.

Did I hear my name mentioned :) Lets hope St. Williams freezes over good this year. Not putting the boat away Johnny till some time in Dec.

Hmm never seen a Pike on Sturgeon yet. What part of the lake has Pike, the north end by Fenelon Falls?

Not sure where it was caught, but I believe it was closer to Fenelon Falls. Which also makes sense. It probably migrated through from Cameron. Having said that, it may have been anywhere on Sturgeon. I have heard, but have no confirmation of Pike in Scugog.

live on sturgeon put lots of hours in on sturgeon lots of bass tourneys on sturgeon can am walleye tourney on sturgeon no pike caught heard the same doomsday that the pike are there but there no established in Cameron or tri lakes no way to be estabilised in sturgeon or scugog. you do catch one kill it

Good thoughts, but please make sure that what you are killing and keeping is a Pike. Juvenile Muskies and Hybrids look a lot like a Pike.

A lot of casual anglers still don't know what they are looking for to distinguish a Muskie from a Pike, let alone at the juvenile stage.

Seasoned anglers like yourself and other tournament anglers, have a much better idea regarding fin shape, patterns and submandibular pore count.

Myself, I fish mainly for Muskies except in the hot dog days of summer when the water temps get above77-80 deg., then I will go after walleye and bass.

Good thoughts, but please make sure that what you are killing and keeping is a Pike. Juvenile Muskies and Hybrids look a lot like a Pike.

A lot of casual anglers still don't know what they are looking for to distinguish a Muskie from a Pike, let alone at the juvenile stage.

Seasoned anglers like yourself and other tournament anglers, have a much better idea regarding fin shape, patterns and submandibular pore count.

Myself, I fish mainly for Muskies except in the hot dog days of summer when the water temps get above77-80 deg., then I will go after walleye and bass.

I always refer to pore count as the definitive idendity of a esox species