Tire guys/mechanics

ketchenany

I have 2016 Jeep Cherockee 4x4 with Firestone 225/65/R17 tires.

I also have new (12,000 km) Mischelin X-ice 215/60R17 that I had on my Compass which has been sold. The hight difference is 1 inch.

I'm getting different stories about changing size, affecting computer setting /readings. . . I know for a fact that it will affect my speed reading, which to me makes no difference at all.

The compass rims don't match the 2016 so I'm in for 250.00 for new winter rims.

Is it worth it to put these tires on without causing problems or sell them and go for the right size?

thanks in advance.

Edited by ketchenany

I think 265 to 215 is a big difference for a vehicle the size of a jeep cherokee. My opinion would be to sell the compass rims/tire combo and buy a proper set for the cherokee. You will be spending money taking the tires off the rims and mounting on new rims. Might as well put that money towards something that will fit, perform and look better.

Edited by huzzsaba

That height difference is enough to throw off the abs, odometer and probably (I say this with no authority at all) would cause the computers (fuel management etc) to go batty or on strike with the wheels turning faster than they were calibrated for. I didn't save the link but I googled tire sizes for my 2005 base caravan and got a lot of information from a number of sources about what can and can't be used on my vehicle. That and a couple of discussions with my mechanic helped me to make my choices. With your vehicle being a 2016 I'd really be concerned about voiding the warranty with that much of a departure from the tire size it came with. Oh yeah - unless it's not a real concern your gas mileage would drop noticeably as well (might even nosedive!)

Michael

I have 2016 Jeep Cherockee 4x4 with Firestone 225/65/R17 tires.

I also have new (12,000 km) Mischelin X-ice 215/60R17 that I had on my Compass which has been sold. The hight difference is 1 inch.

I'm getting different stories about changing size, affecting computer setting /readings. . . I know for a fact that it will affect my speed reading, which to me makes no difference at all.

The compass rims don't match the 2016 so I'm in for 250.00 for new winter rims.

Is it worth it to put these tires on without causing problems or sell them and go for the right size?

thanks in advance.

Send John a PM bud.

This. Get professional advice, a discount if you have to buy something, and you're supporting an OFC member. I call that win-win.

Except it's probably faster to call him. Check the member business directory post for his number.

Yup, and if you need to get rims Albert, he,s not that far of a drive for ya.

The delaer

Yup, and if you need to get rims Albert, he,s not that far of a drive for ya.

Yup, and if you need to get rims Albert, he,s not that far of a drive for ya.[/dealer

B the dealer believe it or not has rims 20 cheaper than CT!

I pm John.

thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ are you into the vino already? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL

nope! 75 CT 58 at the dealer! Homest. I won't tell you what they charge for an oil change :) it really hurts still.

Vino is not ready yet :) you'll get some for sure.

Edited by ketchenany

Here is a link to a tire size comparison calculator. They recommend staying withing 3% of the original tires size but I know lots of people who have run up to 5% without issues (lots of tire experts say 5% is the limit). Your tires would be 4.76% different.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Here is a link to a tire size comparison calculator. They recommend staying withing 3% of the original tires size but I know lots of people who have run up to 5% without issues (lots of tire experts say 5% is the limit). Your tires would be 4.76% different.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

What he says ...

In my humble opinion 5% is too much on today's overly complex vehicles especially AWD/4WD

What do these car guys and gals do when they go from 15" or 16" stock wheels on these Tuners and Customs to 20" plus rims and reduce the tire thickness from a 65 CM to a few inches? Maybe a silly question but I really would like to know how a 5 CM decrease in height is a big deal, or is it?

What do these car guys and gals do when they go from 15" or 16" stock wheels on these Tuners and Customs to 20" plus rims and reduce the tire thickness from a 65 CM to a few inches? Maybe a silly question but I really would like to know how a 5 CM decrease in height is a big deal, or is it?

When I was younger and needed a new set of summer tires I went from a 15" rim to a 19" on my VW and had to take the sidewall of the tire to a much lower profile so the total was the 3% or less in actual change (stock is knee height then replace with the same total). I was buying new wheels as a second set so I took advantage of a deal I came across. My little golf's cornering got SO much better to with a performance tire too. And even though I was driving the car harder I wasn't burning a lot more fuel.

I think got it Geoff. The total diameter from bottom rubber to top of rubber is close due to the thickness of the tire being much less?

A 15" wheel and 8" of rubber is the same as a 20" wheel and 3" of rubber.

That's the idea.

However as per Dave's buddy, that's a whole new game. Most you would hope would be tested on a dyno to ensure speed is as accurate as possible with that much change. Not a mechanic nor will I ever claim to be...

However as per Dave's buddy, that's a whole new game. Most you would hope would be tested on a dyno to ensure speed is as accurate as possible with that much change. Not a mechanic nor will I ever claim to be...

Adjusting the speedo for tire size is now a simple setting in the on-board computer with a laptop on most new vehicles.