2019-2020 Hockey Thread

Gees what happened last night guys.....The city of Toronto registered a 4.8 earthquake last night....AGAIN. Losing to the best in the NHL is understandable but losing to the hawks...come on.  You can hear crickets on this thread this morning.Image result for cricket chirping sound gif

First 2 posts after a Leafs loss:

1. Former Leafs fan who hates them but still watches the games.

2. An actual fan who doesn't think signing Tavares, Matthews, Marner. Nylander is a good idea.

I concur its never good to be boo'd off the ice after losing to one of the NHL's bottom dwellers. But hey, teams do have god awful games from time to time or maybe even 2 of those in a row. In the big picture they are still top 5 (points wise) in the league and unless something drastic happens, are locked into to playing Boston in the first round. Are the Leafs a cup contender? Maybe? Depends what team shows up... but I wouldn't give it a hard no on being able to compete. Regardless... 2015-2016 we finished dead last. Seasons 3 removed from that finish, 70 games in we are top 5. Crazy to think though... top 5 in the league but 3rd in the division.  So you have to remember it could always be worse..... you could be a Sen's fan. Jack Hughes is going to look great in a Av's jersey. 

GLG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassMan11 said:

First 2 posts after a Leafs loss:

1. Former Leafs fan who hates them but still watches the games.

2. An actual fan who doesn't think signing Tavares, Matthews, Marner. Nylander is a good idea.

I concur its never good to be boo'd off the ice after losing to one of the NHL's bottom dwellers. But hey, teams do have god awful games from time to time or maybe even 2 of those in a row. In the big picture they are still top 5 (points wise) in the league and unless something drastic happens, are locked into to playing Boston in the first round. Are the Leafs a cup contender? Maybe? Depends what team shows up... but I wouldn't give it a hard no on being able to compete. Regardless... 2015-2016 we finished dead last. Seasons 3 removed from that finish, 70 games in we are top 5. Crazy to think though... top 5 in the league but 3rd in the division.  So you have to remember it could always be worse..... you could be a Sen's fan. Jack Hughes is going to look great in a Av's jersey. 

GLG

1. I am not a leaf fan. I said I like the leafs but my heart is with the HABS. 

2. Never said that it was a good idea to sign Tavares, Matthews, Marner. Nylander. I said that the Leafs will be hard against the cap next year because of them so there is no room to improve the D.

Leaf fans talk like the Stanley cup is already engraved with the leafs 2018-19 team, that's the problem. Sportsnet and TSN are pro leafs so much so that you can hear in the game play by play adjectives used to describe them. When the played the habs last ( habs being the acknowledged speedier team, the announcer Jim Hughson used adjectives that came out as the leafs being the dominant speed team and made Montreal out to be a slow team. 

from sportsnet

There was only so much hope that could be found in the fact Toronto managed to roar back with four goals in a span of 20:02 against Chicago, nearly tying the game in the final minute while Garret Sparks was pulled for an extra attacker.

If anything, the ferocious finish only served as a reminder of what could have been had they started with any real will or structure.

Roar back ?? Ferocious LOL come on man.

I have never liked the homer mentality with any media... I can agree with you there sometimes Toronto media can be a bit over zealous. 

Putting up 30 shots in the third could be see as a ferocious finish I guess? But Chicago was playing prevent defense since the end of the first period.  A Habs fan.. yuck. lol. Kidding. Glad they are having a decent year. and hopefully they can squeak in There is no lack of speed there that's for sure. 

I think the big thing is Leafs haters take the media and a small sample size of clueless homer fans and then try to paint everyone with the same brush. Either that or they try to paint the same fans that are fanatics and say the Leafs are due for the cup this year as the same fans that boo Jake Gardner. When in truth, this is a small group of the Leafs fans, its just because they are the most vocal that they stand out. I don't think any Leafs fan on this forum thinks the Leafs are the best team to win the cup this year. The statistics show this has the potential to be the best LEAFS team ever (based off of overall points for the season) but there are still better teams in the NHL this season. That is saying a lot as to how competitive the league is and just how hard it is to win a Stanley Cup. I would love to see the Leafs win the cup this year, but if you asked me to bet $500 on the Leafs or the field, the bet is an easy one. I'm taking the field. 

The morning show with Landsberg and Coliacovo made a really good point. They were interviewing Matthews and he said after the first period the guys got PO'ed and put in a better effort. I have no idea why they can't start the game PO'ed rather then waiting for a reason to get angry. If they keep this up it will be another first round exit.

I've always asked myself why Fanatics use the word "We" when referring to a sports team. Do you own shares, play on the team or work for the organization? Emotional investment as an answer will only bring more ridicule. Please explain . 

Its ridiculous to read comments on here by guys claiming that Leafs fans here have already engraved the Stanley Cup on the 2018-2019 season … you guys are full of it …LOL , keep on trolling ….

and then commenting how pathetic it is to have 185 pages dedicated to hockey on a fishing forum, meanwhile you keep adding to the thread that you call pathetic .. do you even read what you write before you post ?

The Leafs don't seem to have any sense of urgency , last night I would have expected a much better first period after their loss to TB , but which Leaf team will show up is anyones guess ..

Their defensive zone coverage sucked last night and they can't get away with that kind of play , pumping 29 shots in the third is not going to happen in the playoffs ..

The first round …  if its against Boston ? At this point in the season the Leafs are not showing the fans that they are ready to take on the Bruins with any sort of confidence ….

29 minutes ago, moxie said:

I've always asked myself why Fanatics use the word "We" when referring to a sports team. Do you own shares, play on the team or work for the organization? Emotional investment as an answer will only bring more ridicule. Please explain . 

It's not just fanatics, it's everyone.  From the players to the coaches to the parents, to anyone who roots for a team.    Nothing wrong with some emotional investment in a team.   Sure beats sitting back and attempting to ridicule people because of it.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jds63 said:

Its ridiculous to read comments on here by guys claiming that Leafs fans here have already engraved the Stanley Cup on the 2018-2019 season … you guys are full of it …LOL , keep on trolling ….

and then commenting how pathetic it is to have 185 pages dedicated to hockey on a fishing forum, meanwhile you keep adding to the thread that you call pathetic .. do you even read what you write before you post ?

The Leafs don't seem to have any sense of urgency , last night I would have expected a much better first period after their loss to TB , but which Leaf team will show up is anyones guess ..

Their defensive zone coverage sucked last night and they can't get away with that kind of play , pumping 29 shots in the third is not going to happen in the playoffs ..

The first round …  if its against Boston ? At this point in the season the Leafs are not showing the fans that they are ready to take on the Bruins with any sort of confidence ….

Begin by throwing "The Haters" some Hate then  LAUGHING out LOUD. That a nervous laugh ? Follow it up with expert analysis stating the obvious once again. All the while trying to hide the deranged and fragile core of a leaf fan by avoiding to insert "We". 

Reading what one types before posting is sage advice. Thank you.

23 minutes ago, BillM said:

It's not just fanatics, it's everyone.  From the players to the coaches to the parents, to anyone who roots for a team.    Nothing wrong with some emotional investment in a team.   Sure beats sitting back and attempting to ridicule people because of it.  

For me its being all in for the long haul. I've been a Leafs fan through thick and thin and will be until the day I die. My best memories of the Leafs aren't of the wins or the losses, even if they were a legacy franchise like Detroit or Pittsburgh, Chicago etc it wouldn't be how many times they won the cup, or the most memorable wins. It would be watching the games waaaaaaaay past my bedtime with my dad because they went into double OT. It would be cheering with him when they scored and discussing why they blew it with him when they lost. I could have been a fan of any team or any sport but the reason why I'll always stick with the Leafs was because of the memories with my father, not how successful or inept the franchise is. So yes, it is 'we' because this sport that has absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever was part of the reason why my bond with my father is so strong and why family is so important to me.

(Asside - My dad is alive and well. I know some of how I was wording stuff sounded like he had passed, but I told him he isn't allowed to until we see the Leafs win a cup together.......... he might have to figure out a way to be immortal at this rate)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moxie said:

That's a little nit-picky isn't it? 

And WE can't explain... because you'll never understand. For someone who constantly points out the obvious its strange you can't figure this one out. But please... keep telling US fans all the things we are doing wrong. 

Most posters on here fail to see the arrogance of the leaf fans posting to this thread. The thread states 2018-2019 hockey thread ( started in 2016). It doesn't say 2018-2019 leafs hockey thread. Yet the leaf fans have hijacked the thread for the own use so you gets what youse axed for..And if it's a leaf fans hockey thread then change the name so it don't confuce us.

?:rofl2:

My 2 cents is that the leafs should get rid of nylander and keep marner as he is the more creative player that creates sooo many scoring chances out of nothing.

as for the playoffs, I'm just hoping the leafs can push through whoever it is and make it to the second round for a change. If its gonna be boston again, someone make the boys learn from the last couple tries and maybe they can at least knock them down.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:57 PM, Squid said:

Most posters on here fail to see the arrogance of the leaf fans posting to this thread. The thread states 2018-2019 hockey thread ( started in 2016). It doesn't say 2018-2019 leafs hockey thread. Yet the leaf fans have hijacked the thread for the own use so you gets what youse axed for..And if it's a leaf fans hockey thread then change the name so it don't confuce us.

Notice how quiet the thread is when it’s not during or directly after a Leafs game? It’s an open Mic but yet no one else is taking the stand. 

8 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Notice how quiet the thread is when it’s not during or directly after a Leafs game? It’s an open Mic but yet no one else is taking the stand. 

Wait for it.........

On 3/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, Squid said:

There's no arrogance. We're talking hockey and the Leafs happen to interest us most so that's what gets posted.

Obviously everybody is welcome to participate but all you guys seem to do is troll, promote Leaf hate and throw stupid, childish insults.

So yeah, it's become the Leafs fans/  miserable, Leaf hating troll thread 

the Leafs have won a crap ton of games the last couple seasons, Jeremy mentioned it's pretty quiet on this thread post game, there's no arrogance or rah rah rah, or irrational exuberance 

well not TONIGHT, WHOOOOAA, DOWN 3 GOALS TWICE, SLEEP TIGHT YOU MISERABLE HATERS WATCHING THE GAME, I KNOW I'LL SLEEP GOOD!!!!