thinking of starting to hunt

GBW

Well with the recent posts and my cousin and buddy bugging me I'm thinking about it. I sure don't have the funds at this time to go buy gun's or bow's but I need to learn more to the process.

I have fired many gun's when I was in the Canadian Armed Forces over 20 years ago so gun's I'm ok with. But what do I need to be legal? I know a with a PAL I can buy and sell a gun. I see 2.5 day courses for $150 in my area, but what do you get with that?

IF I was to hunt I'd be going out with guys who have been hunting a very long time so they would be my 'teachers' for that as I'd be a tag along using their guns. Do I just need a PAL and then a hunting license for water foul? I don't have the cash or time for deer...

Any help here would be great!

Oh and I need to keep my costs DOWN! I just had some BIG bills as of late...

Thanks folks!

G

There are some nuances but yes, the hunter safety and gun course are needed. They can usually be done as a 2 day course. The OFAH site will list courses in your area. Once you pass that you have to wait for your background check from the RCMP. That can take a few months. Once you get that, then you can get a small game licence and you're good to go for some species. If you are hunting migratory birds (ducks, geese and what not) you also need a migratory game bird stamp that you get from a Canada post outlet (think you can get it online as well).

Take that all with a grain of salt as I did not sleep at a holiday inn last night.

With the background check, I have nothing to worry about other than if they contact my ex-wife. She'll think I'm getting this for other reasons as when I was with her I kept telling her no to hunting while the kids are young...

So what you are saying is my best bet is the $150 course then? My problem with that is the dates and times. I work every other weekend and the weekends I don't work it's my time with my kids. Is there any 'private' ones anyone does?

And I too didn't sleep at a holiday inn either... ;)

I believe that the course is offered sometimes in evenings. Maybe 5 nights of 3ish hours (there is a minimum number of hours). The ofah site isn't the only place to find the course. Local gun clubs or stores will host them too. Maybe even Sir Sandford when the students get back?

There are some nuances but yes, the hunter safety and gun course are needed. They can usually be done as a 2 day course. The OFAH site will list courses in your area. Once you pass that you have to wait for your background check from the RCMP. That can take a few months. Once you get that, then you can get a small game licence and you're good to go for some species. If you are hunting migratory birds (ducks, geese and what not) you also need a migratory game bird stamp that you get from a Canada post outlet (think you can get it online as well).

Take that all with a grain of salt as I did not sleep at a holiday inn last night.

Pretty much right on the money: You'll need an outdoors card if you don't already have one but you should have it already. You need to take the course, you can't even borrow a firearm without having completed that. Then there is your small game license, migratory game bird permit, turkey license (oh and you have to take a course before you can get that) bear, dear, and moose licenses.

Now, when it comes to a gun; IF you go through the courses and complete them, IF you have all the necessary paperwork in place, I have a Remington 870 Express magnum which I would LEND you until I need it back (which might be never). It's the old style so it's pretty much indestructible and by switching out the chokes (and I have the set) you can use it for just about any hunting you would ever want to do.

One step at a time but keep me in the loop.

Pretty much right on the money: You'll need an outdoors card if you don't already have one but you should have it already. You need to take the course, you can't even borrow a firearm without having completed that. Then there is your small game license, migratory game bird permit, turkey license (oh and you have to take a course before you can get that) bear, dear, and moose licenses.

Now, when it comes to a gun; IF you go through the courses and complete them, IF you have all the necessary paperwork in place, I have a Remington 870 Express magnum which I would LEND you until I need it back (which might be never). It's the old style so it's pretty much indestructible and by switching out the chokes (and I have the set) you can use it for just about any hunting you would ever want to do.

One step at a time but keep me in the loop.

Thanks and THANKS!!!!!

There is a part in the background check about ex partners and how long since the split, but since that didn't apply I don't remember what the timelines where.

Divorce was done 2 years ago and we split May 2013

Not sure what the wait time is right now for the background check but even if you passed the course yesterday it would be unlikely to get your firearms licence before November assuming it all went smoothly.

Yeah, who knows there...

Place in Sunderland just North of town on Hwy. 12 West side had a sign out front about the courses. Sorry don't have a name or number, just saw the sign in passing.

Thank you sir and I will try and find it. If others know of this place please let me know!

If your ex thinks you are getting a gun for other reasons it would be highly unlikely they would give you a PAL. She would be a priority on the call list for sure. If shes cool with it, then no probs, but if she wants to be a you know what, she can very easily. Its worth running it by her first rather than a surprised phone call.

As for the courses, there is a place in millbrook that does the firearms and hunting all in one, and even turkey if you want that, right from his house.

Call Mark Yourkevich at giude to game.

1 705-768-6550

P.s....getting started in watwrfowl is not cheap. Probably one of the more expensive types of hunting there is once you factor in all the decoys, boats, clothing etc... it adds up quick and is far from cheap.

Going with guys who are already set up and chipping in with more gear and manpower always helps, but it seems everybody just wants a free ride these days....

You know i do tons of waterfowl and im just a pm or text away.

D.

The guys in Orillia will likely call your ex especially since you're looking for a PAL at your age. She could bugger you if she wanted to.

I got my PAL and licence late in life, 39 years old. Hunt camp is a magical experience, I was fascinated and loved it, something totally new.

I'd say go for it Geoff.

If your ex thinks you are getting a gun for other reasons it would be highly unlikely they would give you a PAL. She would be a priority on the call list for sure. If shes cool with it, then no probs, but if she wants to be a you know what, she can very easily. Its worth running it by her first rather than a surprised phone call.

As for the courses, there is a place in millbrook that does the firearms and hunting all in one, and even turkey if you want that, right from his house.

Call Mark Yourkevich at giude to game.

1 705-768-6550

P.s....getting started in watwrfowl is not cheap. Probably one of the more expensive types of hunting there is once you factor in all the decoys, boats, clothing etc... it adds up quick and is far from cheap.

Going with guys who are already set up and chipping in with more gear and manpower always helps, but it seems everybody just wants a free ride these days....

You know i do tons of waterfowl and im just a pm or text away.

D.

Thanks and she for sure will have a heads up from me. She knows I'm the only one on my mothers side who doesn't hunt and they all do. 7 in total just from my mom's family hunt from uncles to cousins and they have been asking me for YEARS.

As per getting started, I'd slowly chip away at things I need. I never asked the buddies or family for a free ride but they are the ones really pushing me hard this year to get it done. And yeah, I know and thanks! PS I still have those 3 wooden duck's for you next time you are near the North ward of Lindsay.

The guys in Orillia will likely call your ex especially since you're looking for a PAL at your age. She could bugger you if she wanted to.

I got my PAL and licence late in life, 39 years old. Hunt camp is a magical experience, I was fascinated and loved it, something totally new.

I'd say go for it Geoff.

I'm 42 now and wanting to enjoy the sport but I have to take it slow cash wise. As above, family all hunts. They have a camp on Potash Lake.

Is $295 for the course right? Does that include the background check and ALL IN other than taxes?

If you need a tree hugging, whiskey drinkin' citiot up at Paudash, I'm in, Hahaha

I think it was more like 150 all in.

The local guy just said $295 on the phone. Now the OFAH site says "$150 deposit" and does not say a total. This is why I ask. Anyone know for sure?

I think employment background is checked. There are things that would raise redflags. Those flags won't necessarily mean a refusal, just further investigation. You also provide them with some reference checks that they might call and interview. I guess they are looking for things like is this person a hothead? Do they have a history of such and such.

I would talk to the ex to let her know that she may get a call.. your divorce is fairly recent so that usually results in one but if you have a good relationship with her there shouldn't be any problem. Hunting equipment is expensive but you can get the stuff you need over time. Bow hunting might be an option if you don't end up getting a PAL..