Any more fishing reports?

I would think by this time of the year more and more fishin' reports would have graced our pages.

I did get 3 nice Walleye this week (nada yesterday) off of Nanticoke at an average of 8 lbs, each. I have pics but need to post them. 8 colours of lead core with all 3 hitting the Reef Runners. Purple and brown in about 70' down 30' . Overcast skies, I like the darker colours in an overcast. Nothing on harnesses.

I really enjoy some political stuff but after all it is fishing season.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Working is no excuse not to fish. I swear if anyone walked into my hovel of an office and said they wanted the weekend off to go fishing I would have said yes. But they didn't, including saying they were kidnapped on May 24 weekend (walleye opening at his cottage) and couldn't escape until Tuesday. That was fun.

I would be happy to post a report but, first I have to catch one! LOL!

I did catch a few up in Ear Falls. Also since arriving home July 4 I have managed 5 different trips on Erie. Twice out to Mohawk Point area got skunked both times & marking very few fish. I'm now concentrating on the Port Colborne area. Caught 1 walleye on 3 different occasions.

Fishing reports I can do catching reports is another thing entirely...

WORST PERCH season ever on Lake Erie from the pier I am always 10 minutes, an hour or a day late when it comes to being there when they are biting.

Not too mention the great minnow scandal of 2016... All I hear is someone sold their bait business to someone and that person who bought it is unable, unwilling or incapable of supplying bait shops. Of course the record high winds are a big part of the problem as well.

Usually bait shops being out is not a problem as I like to catch to my own but this year 100's of pulls with the net have yielded maybe 5 dozen minnows over 10 trips.

I did get 4 perch with the 6 minnows I caught yesterday no pics though I didn't want to waste the SD card space with the pitiful nature of the result. LOL

Uncle Dave and I did some shore fishing last Thursday morning before it got too hot...1 9 inch perch 1 large worlds greatest and about a 2 pound largie was all that was worth mentioning...LOL

vertigo type problems keep you off the water and even casting off the dock at times isn't the best if windy. my cell was 75' away in the house/cottage just in case I fell in on Sat... Only a few small SMB on Sat when stuck on the dock...

Usually bait shops being out is not a problem as I like to catch to my own but this year 100's of pulls with the net have yielded maybe 5 dozen minnows over 10 trips.

Maybe I'll post something about minnow trapping one of these days. I did that as a summer student for a number of years, learned quite a bit about it.

Can't help with the throw net though.

Working is no excuse not to fish. I swear if anyone walked into my hovel of an office and said they wanted the weekend off to go fishing I would have said yes. But they didn't, including saying they were kidnapped on May 24 weekend (walleye opening at his cottage) and couldn't escape until Tuesday. That was fun.

Man I wish I worked for you. Although, some of the field guys here (surveyors) take their rods with them so if they're at a remote location or somewhere near a pond or river they will go fishing on their lunch breaks. I love it when they come in to my office at the end of the day and show me pictures of all the rainbows and browns they found on some of these properties (mildly sarcastic/mostly jealous).

Honestly though, I haven't had much time this summer to go fishing. I think I've been out once since I went to our annual fishing camp trip. The baby bass we caught that day weren't really worthy of a report! lol.

vertigo type problems keep you off the water and even casting off the dock at times isn't the best if windy. my cell was 75' away in the house/cottage just in case I fell in on Sat... Only a few small SMB on Sat when stuck on the dock...

same problem with me sometimes.. 5 years now that I've had it and the doctors can't seem to help.. just more useless pills.. the only thing that has made a difference is going to a chiropractor in Ancaster that has Vertigo herself.. Dr. Slote.. it costs me $40 a visit but still better than missing work.. sometimes being in a rocking boat triggers it but water intake, stress, fatigue etc will also trigger it.. I had my boat out for the first time in 2 years and I did well.. natural health food stores carry something called Aconite which helps. I carry some everywhere I go..

unfortunately that doesn't work anymore John.. there was a guy with 38 years service that scratched 2 shifts after taking 2 single days vacation and HR told him he said going to get a 3 day suspension for causing hardship to the company .. this is someone with a clean record.. fishing isn't a good enough excuse..lol

same problem with me sometimes.. 5 years now that I've had it and the doctors can't seem to help.. just more useless pills.. the only thing that has made a difference is going to a chiropractor in Ancaster that has Vertigo herself.. Dr. Slote.. it costs me $40 a visit but still better than missing work.. sometimes being in a rocking boat triggers it but water intake, stress, fatigue etc will also trigger it.. I had my boat out for the first time in 2 years and I did well.. natural health food stores carry something called Aconite which helps. I carry some everywhere I go..

I see that Vertigo is terrible. A good pal out here has it too. He owns 2 nice boats for the big waters here, a 21 foot StarCraft centre council and a 28 foot Grew. He has gone out exactly 1 time this year because of it. Dr's just keep changing his meds and they are done with it.

unfortunately that doesn't work anymore John.. there was a guy with 38 years service that scratched 2 shifts after taking 2 single days vacation and HR told him he said going to get a 3 day suspension for causing hardship to the company .. this is someone with a clean record.. fishing isn't a good enough excuse..lol

I have heard the horror stories. My old GF that eventually became Divisional Superintendent where you are got a 3 week unpaid suspension as well as a Foreman 2 weeks off for "Payroll Fraud". The very first week I got a Foreman's job we went from the plant to Point Abino to do chores at the Super's cottageI always paid OT to someone that was willing to work it at the rate of pay that he owned even though he covered a lesser paying job rate. Or when we asked guys to go on days on Special Duties to do WHIMIS training and things that had to be done and pay him or her their job rate. I would have been fired by the Yanks if I stayed until they took over, or charged with assault. The General Shift Foreman could not make a simple decision there without the OK from Pittsburg. I would have lost it. Chin up Pics, gew got a job mang.

Well I was going to wait til my lake of the woods trip in August, but here's a few of the skis I've landed this summer

IMG_5729_resize.JPG

IMG_5704_resize.JPG

IMG_5703_resize.JPG

IMG_5664_resize.JPG

IMG_5646_resize.GIF

Apologize for quality but they were selfies taken on Iphone timer. All from kawarthas

Will post a detailed report after my trip.

Cheers

Edited by DaveRoach

Maybe I'll post something about minnow trapping one of these days. I did that as a summer student for a number of years, learned quite a bit about it.

Can't help with the throw net though.

If I were fitter and younger I would have went after a "bait licence" I knew an acquaintance was getting out of a few years back.... As it was explained to me at the time, BIG RISKS, back breaking hard work would usually earn a medium sized reward.

Too many factors determine your ability to go out to catch and keep the bait in prime condition for resale, Fuel was only going up mostly at that time, vehicle insurance was soaring, but the 5 bucks a scoop was NEVER EVER to change or you were going to be called a crook. LOL.