Advise Please. 2006 Merc 4hp 4 stroke

tizfun

Hey everyone. I thought to ask here before possibly taking it to the shop. I just picked a Merc 4hp 4 stroke and while running it in a barrel, I noticed this green like substance floating on the water. Water was clean when I first put it in.. The motor starts up great but it also won't idle down low.. when I turn the throttle handle it stalls out..

Any tips or any advice on what it could be.. What the cost would be to repair if it needs it..

Thanks,

Tiz

It seems to run really well. When starting with the choke on, it starts right up and idles quicker. As it warms up, I pushed the choke back in and it idles down and runs but stalls when you turning the throttle to it's lowest point.. (the turtle) lol . I put it in forward and gave it throttle and it sound good and seem like normal.. Was just wondering what the greenish stuff on the surface of the water was.

It's also running last years gas.. from August

It seems to run really well. When starting with the choke on, it starts right up and idles quicker. As it warms up, I pushed the choke back in and it idles down and runs but stalls when you turning the throttle to it's lowest point.. (the turtle) lol . I put it in forward and gave it throttle and it sound good and seem like normal.. Was just wondering what the greenish stuff on the surface of the water was.

It's also running last years gas.. from August

Did you put stabil or another ethanol treatment in the gas when you stored it? If not, don't run that gas... pump it out asap before you damage your motor.

Crankcase oil getting in the cylinder? Unlike a 2 stroke I understand they have to be stored upright or at least a certain side up if laid down..

Yep.

When you bought it and put it in your vehicle, did you lay it on the correct side?

Sweet deal if there isn't any serious issues. Fresh premium gas and oil and taker for a rip.

Update : I filled the tank with some fresh premium gas, purchased some new plugs. fired it up.. waited for it to warm up and it runs much much better than before.. It still stalled on me when I tried to get it right down to the lowest troll.. My good buddy Mike popped by on Sunday while I was tinkering in the garage and he's awesome with small outboard 2 and 4 stroke motors. Not a marine mechanic, but just knows his crap.

He made some adjustment and got it purring like a kitten.. He laughed and wouldn't tell me what he did. I still don't know what he did, but I'm very grateful. He calls me today and laughed as he offered me $500.00 for it.

Ran it again tonight, and it runs so good. I'm keeping her.

Awesome motor that will troll all day on 2-3 litres of gas. Used one for 5 years without issue, 3-4 trips 4 days long per year. Always fresh plugs every 100 running hrs, stabilized, premium high octane gas. New lower unit gear oil every second season. Always spray fogging oil into plug or carb as you are running the motor dry of old gas at the end of the season. Starts first pull every new season it you treat it this way. Impossible to know if former owner treated it this way.

Are you using a remote tank or the top mounted integrated tank? Make sure the top mounted tank under the cover does not have any old gas left inside.

Hey, choke was on when we started it up and as it warmed up it was pushed back in. Runs totally different now than when I tested it with the seller. A little Sea foam in the tank too. I haven't checked the internal tank for fuel, I've only used the 3.5 gal .

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Now to get a bigger boat to use it as my kicker.. If not, I'll list it forsale later this season.