Favorite boat trailer brand?

fishnguy

A galvanized OR a Tundra (a Line X type of coating) coated trailer is a good idea here in our weather..

Bunks are usually a better choice to support your boat's hull........rollers have the tendency to punch the hull where they are, especially if you travel over bad roads.

I think they're all pretty good.....a lot are made by the same people. The important thing in my opinion is how the boat sits on the trailer whether it be roller or bunk supports. You'll pay a little more for a galvanized trailer but they're worth it in the long run. I also prefer a belt on the winch rather than a steel cable. One or more of the steel strands on the cable will eventually fray and break and you'll end up stabbing yourself with it every time you handle the cable. If you're short on storage for the trailer, you might want to look at swing away tongues. Another useful option is the spring loaded transom tie downs (stainless steel). Good luck in your search. Let us know hat you get.

TOO MANY cheap boat trailers out there....

If you want a good trailer, one that will last, can be used in the cold (ie, no plastic fenders), good strong box tubing, you will likely need to go custom.

I have a 17' boat that I too am looking to replace the trailer....

I can pay as little as $1,400 for the trailer...but as soon as I start talking to the salesman/manufacturer, I'm quickly into a $3K trailer.

@Glen- What thickness would you recommend.

@Steve- Was there a brand you liked over the others?

Also, I'm hoping for a trailer with oversized tires for some really rough launches in my area. My current trailer has very little clearance and gets hung up on rocks. Anyone had that problem, and is there one particular brand that has more clearance than others?

Thanks.

TOO MANY cheap boat trailers out there....

If you want a good trailer, one that will last, can be used in the cold (ie, no plastic fenders), good strong box tubing, you will likely need to go custom.

I have a 17' boat that I too am looking to replace the trailer....

I can pay as little as $1,400 for the trailer...but as soon as I start talking to the salesman/manufacturer, I'm quickly into a $3K trailer.

My trailer is a tube style trailer and it wasn't custom built.

http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/trailmaster_models.php?brand=trailmaster_tube

I have this Trailmaster Tube Premium Single Axle and it's Tundra coated. (scroll down to the second trailer picture)

PC1824 18 2400 2995 205/75R14C

Edited by Mister G

I think they're all pretty good.....a lot are made by the same people. The important thing in my opinion is how the boat sits on the trailer whether it be roller or bunk supports. You'll pay a little more for a galvanized trailer but they're worth it in the long run. I also prefer a belt on the winch rather than a steel cable. One or more of the steel strands on the cable will eventually fray and break and you'll end up stabbing yourself with it every time you handle the cable. If you're short on storage for the trailer, you might want to look at swing away tongues. Another useful option is the spring loaded transom tie downs (stainless steel). Good luck in your search. Let us know hat you get.

What Roy said, mines galvanized, 1996 and no rust. And the strap type winch doesn't stab you and make you say bad things when someones kids are watching you crank up the boat. It's an Remeq trailer, same ones Princecraft uses.

What Roy said, mines galvanized, 1996 and no rust. And the strap type winch doesn't stab you and make you say bad things when someones kids are watching you crank up the boat. It's an Remeq trailer, same ones Princecraft uses.

Mine's a Remeq/Princecraft as well.

My trailer is a tube style trailer and it wasn't custom built.

http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/trailmaster_models.php?brand=trailmaster_tube

I have this Trailmaster Tube Premium Single Axle and it's Tundra coated. (scroll down to the second trailer picture)

PC1824 18 2400 2995 205/75R14C

Looks like a good trailer.

Meltrail Custom Trailers is who I was looking at to build me a trailer.

Since this forum is always a wealth of knowledge, I figured I'd ask here before I begin my search. I'm looking for a new trailer for my 17 foot Sylvan. Are there any brands that forum members have had bad experiences with and would avoid?

Many thanks!

I'm on my second EZ loader. First one '99. Then I purchased a whole new package in 2012. Absolutely no issues with either.

New outfit is much heavier. Tough for an old guy like me to winch it onto a bunk trailer. Initially I would back in deep. Wet the bunks then get situated. The wet bunks made things a little easier. After consulting my dealer, I purchased these:

http://www.basspro.com/Bunk-Slick-Boat-Trailer-GlideOns/product/1111100500571/

Talk to a reputable dealer. He may recommend rollers over bunks based on the weight of your boat.

I currently have an easy loader. Noticed a bolt was loose when I first got it. Then one of the lights fell off going down the highway. Should have checked all the bolts I guess when I noticed the first one! Thought it was an isolated thing until I clicked on that link provided earlier...sounds like there have been others with issues as well

I currently have an easy loader. Noticed a bolt was loose when I first got it. Then one of the lights fell off going down the highway. Should have checked all the bolts I guess when I noticed the first one! Thought it was an isolated thing until I clicked on that link provided earlier...sounds like there have been others with issues as well

What year sir?,every trailer over time will have developed some problems. We have a winch,hopefully a strong frame,one axle for the most part?. What I like is how it has deterred rust since 86 . Just some surface rust.Cleaned up and all is good. Mine has rollers for a 3500 plus boat. Bearings can be replaced . The frame is the most important part for lasting long.Everything else is replaceable .Good luck on your search.

Too add,bolts will come loose,you need to check them out once and a while till they get a nice rust on them lol. :P

Edited by davey buoy