Ice Out Watch

ccmtcanada

Saturday my bro-in-law Dave and I did a little bopping around the country side and the north end of Pigeon Lake was still frozen over with a few feet of open water along the shoreline...Upper and Lower Buckhorn looked to be open water everywhere...

Tuesday afternoon I had an appointment with my cardiologist in Peterborough and noticed that Chemong was wide open...Lower Pigeon was free of ice...Today, I stopped by the Pigeon Lake (north shore) and there was still some ice out further than Saturday but not quite ice free yet...

Edited by Beans

This morning we still had a good 90% ish coverage, probably thin though. Got home around 3 and not only no ice in sight but some good 3+ foot waves blowing in. Guess this lake is officially ice free now. Water's way up too, think the dams gonna breach again if it hasn't already.

Michael

As Mike said, water levels in Sturgeon are high and rising. I would say that as of daylight this morning until now (about 3:00 pm) the water level has risen about 3". It isn't far off the highest I have seen it in 16 years. Fortunatly they aren't calling for much rain in the next week which should help let things catch up a bit.

Naw, water temperatures still way too cold and the water up until the last two days has been way to low for the crappie to move into the shallow areas. This cold front moving in is going to put them off their feed and it looks like it will be at least another two weeks before things start to warm up. The crappie won't even start to get active until we start to see water temperatured of at least 52°F and in my experience the most productive range is 58-62°F. We need some bright sunny days to start to warm up those shallow bays then we'll see some action.

BTW Paul I am thinking the answer is no for the docks this weekend, high water, high wind, not much point in pushing it! My son was going to come down and help me with my dock and marine railway, we've decided to hold off for at least another week and might even make it two.