Ice Out Watch

ccmtcanada

We're going to lose a bunch of snow from today thru to Wednesday, but it's supposed to stay at or below zero for at least a week by next weekend so I should be able to stay on the ice until the end of the month (we haven't really lost any ice yet but the snow conditions suck)

4 days of rain and high single to low double digits next week should wash out a lot. Keeping an eye on the Black River flow data - it's shot up a lot in the last 2 days. They haven't lowered my lake as much as usual over the winter yet so if that Black River gets up and over the St. John creek dam again with the levels already up it's gonna be dicey!

Michael

^ Wow can't believe that Honey Harbour picture , crazy winter to say the least !

Still lots of ice Parry Sound and north from what I have been told but its melting

fast . It is suppose to cool down next week a bit which will sustain some of the ice

but it will be an early ice out i'm sure .

Same here Chris, was walking out the door with a fishing rod in my hand to deliver, heard a crack (oh expletive expletive expletive), thought I'd caught the rod on the door. Went back in, turned on the lights to check the rod (door is still open) and heard crack crack crack! I'm very close to the water (ice) here so of course I had to invest the 12 steps or so to stand at the shore and listen to the symphony. Of course I had to stick my toe on the new ice - where it was water yesterday - and found almost 3/4" had reformed. That was as far as I was gonna check even though the rest of the lake is still pretty much frozen, no way I was gonna volunteer to find out how much!

Michael

This is a shot of the north shoreline, there is a thin shell of ice near shore but the lake proper is still covered:

Shoreline 20 Mar 2016 003.JPG

A shot from our launch at the lagoon:

Lagoon 20 Mar 2016 001.JPG

Probably a couple of weeks before the lake itself will be clear...

No ice in sight down my way. Sturgeon's south end is wide open.

i was down that way, open to just north of greens then starts locking up again, was iced over by cliffs place other than some shoreline that was open and around moorings in the slips was open Saturday but with the two cold nights frozen again this morning

Ice is solid in front of my place again this morning as for as far as I can see in any direction. there was a bit of open water at the shore yesterday but that froze over last night and I could walk on it this morning (only about a foot of water under it LOL). Looks like there could be a lot of damage over on the other side of the lake near Betty's Bay area. I can see the ice piled up on the shore over there so it has to be 6-8' high at least!