FINALLY its been a big battle

chessy

I commend Port Hope council on their efforts in support of the Ganaraska River Fishery and for taking the time to listen to my concerns and work towards a resolution. We will be seeing some substantial changes and increased enforcement on the Ganaraska River this year.

During the 2015 fishing season in the urban area of Port Hope it became commonplace for infractions against the laws of the fishery to occur to a very significant level. So much, in fact, the Municipality received many complaints from tourists and residents alike. In many instances rotting fish and other garbage littered the banks of the river and its surrounding area to the point that smell permeated the entire downtown core for weeks. The MNRF was normally tasked with the law enforcement surrounding the rive but was unable to provide enough resources to effectively patrol the area. In an effort to better meet the needs of the community, we developed a training plan for our patrol officers in concert with the MNRF to educate our people to know the requirements to first charge offenders and then to create the Crown Brief in a fashion that will support successful prosecution.

On February 17th and 19th, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry attended with seven staff and conducted very thorough training sessions for members of the PHPS.

As i was told on Saturday the Port Hope police went down both sides of the river checking licences a male and female constable, and a while later a MNRF vehicle pulled up to the stumps area, took a quick look from inside the truck, turned around and left. I see a little bit of downloading going on here, but regardless its still nice to see someone taking an active roll in our resources

As i was told on Saturday the Port Hope police went down both sides of the river checking licences a male and female constable, and a while later a MNRF vehicle pulled up to the stumps area, took a quick look from inside the truck, turned around and left. I see a little bit of downloading going on here, but regardless its still nice to see someone taking an active roll in our resources

I am going to put this out there and maybe it makes sence,or maybe it dosent. As you all know, I just think out loud.

First off, well done to all those that got envolved with this. I dont partake down there ( did back in the late 70,s early 80.s, but became to troublesom to keep going back)

Ok so here it is,,,,,,,,,,

With all the cuts to the MNR, and being so short staffed, does it not make sense to put the power on to the police? Metro,OPP, RCMP ( as long as they are trained and approved to handle the wildlife management laws) There seems to be a better number of them present out there. Why have two different law enforcments. Put it under one managment. Law officers. Maybe the money can be better spent and get better enforsment presents.

I am not dishing the fellas that do a great job for the MNR. Maybe they can be the shoulders of this. Trainers, advisors and the leaders of a new force. To me, this seems to make sence. (This has been mentioned it will be done)

It,s short and I always have a hard way to put into type, what I want to say in words as you know.

What ever gets the pouchers and rapers of the natural resource caught,I am all for.

Edited by Brian B

Brian B this took almost 10 years from first complaint date . it was so long ago i did not remember . it took a special council and a amazing new police chief to get this finally done . to me the mnrf has done a wonderful job and i think they should stay and the local police should use them as a resource to help . in my opinion the mnrf officer should be place in police stations .. have them roam there is a new study coming out in the future. it will show where the hot spots are and where enforcement needs to be done . for instance the ganny receives 50 percent of the fishing pressure during opening weekend compared to the other 9 major rivers in ontario for steel head, the other rivers share the other 50 percent between them . Yes i am prejudjust towards the ganny, but the numbers don't lie. certain rivers need mass enforcement others do not

Why can't civilians that have a vested interest in the enforcement be deputized, like yourself Chessy? Yes there are all manner of difficulties to make that happen but it is done in the US and for firefighting across the country. If each CO were t be teamed up with a civilian volunteer the number of boots on the ground would double overnight.

Why can't civilians that have a vested interest in the enforcement be deputized, like yourself Chessy? Yes there are all manner of difficulties to make that happen but it is done in the US and for firefighting across the country. If each CO were t be teamed up with a civilian volunteer the number of boots on the ground would double overnight.

Why can't people just abide by the rules? That's the million dollar question.

It baffles me that people who like to hunt and fish take advantage of the resource. Greed. It kills everything.

S.

It baffles me that people who like to hunt and fish take advantage of the resource. Greed. It kills everything.

S.

This makes the most sense to me. Perhaps it's to politicize the problem to ask for more money from gov't to increase spending. Imagine if there was a day when no one broke the law. What need would we have for the police? The realistic goal is to reduce crime, but if that happens, there goes the police budget and in turn, less officers who become unemployed.

it's a delicate balance.

As a angler who does enjoying fishing in Port Hope, I certainly welcome the extra enforcement. Too many greedy anglers who ignore the rules of fishing and they should be caught and punished. For some of them, it's too late to educate them, they just don't care.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

S.

The same reason people drink and drive, speed, sell drugs, steal, murder, and, and, and. It's human nature.

in my opinion the mnrf officer should be place in police stations ..

100% back that because then the MNRF is SAVING money buy not have their own office buildings. Head office, then the police stations that are already out there. There is a valid cost saving measure there and it can then go towards more bodies out there... Just an idea...

Edited by GBW

Brian B makes alot of sense, again theres more police to enforce resourse bylaws, but on the other hand many police budgets are under scrutiny, with local councils, as its in most cases the major part of councils budget, hence them getting police quotes, from the OPP, and local policing etc, so adding more dollars to there budget might be a tough pill for many councils to swallow, i do applaud Port Hopes present council for their persistency to help get a resolution to a blatant misuse of the resource, gutted Salmon and rotting carcusses are not nice when it eminates through the town,

Some of you are missing the statement here .. yes the OPP and other police can do fish and wild life act... port hope has been trained to do the fisheries act . there is a big difference .. so if a cop that was not trained if he asked you for your licence and you said you do not have one , he had to walk away as that is the fisheries act same as walking through the water with a net that is fisheries act. now that the police are trained they now can enforce these issues

And you are asking OPP, RCMP, to walk down to the river. That's out of the car all the way down to the river to ask a question they can't follow up on.

This is fabulous news.

If we get a list of names charged gutting fish and discarding I'm predicting it won't be the names most are expecting. Yes I bet the names will be easy to say.

And you are asking OPP, RCMP, to walk down to the river. That's out of the car all the way down to the river to ask a question they can't follow up on.

This is fabulous news.

If we get a list of names charged gutting fish and discarding I'm predicting it won't be the names most are expecting. Yes I bet the names will be easy to say.

what law that would be a municipal bylaw for littering no fisheries act or FWCA to be charged under

Edited by chessy

Garnet you are correct. about wasting Consumable fish... the book the feds produce every year on consumption guide allows most fish to be spoiled, as they are not consumable, thats is why port hope now has a littering charge that includes fish

This is fabulous news.

Is there not a mnr law for wasting consumables fish.

It's only Canadian's that turn nose up to all that protein. And is the reason we will be able to pronounce most names.

Sounds like some are walking river slitting fish for roe for profit.

Most people have smartphones. Maybe need video evidence.

and a hotline to proper authorities.