Thinking about buying a new boat.

pike slayer

I currently have an "antique" 16' aluminum boat with a 1979 johnson 25hp. It has the side console with casting deck and flat deck and front mount trolling motor. Ive been having problems starting the motor, I've been blowing rivets in the hull and the deck is starting to get soft. I just don't trust it and am getting annoyed. So I'm looking at just buying new so I have warranty and hope years of headache free fishing.

So I'm looking at this boat.http://legendboats.com/boat/prosport-sc/?postal_one=P6b+5v6#.Vsz7A25MG2d

What do yous think of legend boats?

Also with the base price it only comes with a 15hp 4stroke. Seems like they put unpowered motors on to make the price look better. Although I only fish inland lakes, I don't need some super fast boat. I just want a reliable boat that trolls good. Maybe upgrade it to the 20hp?

Don't buy a legend or tracker if you're going to fish in any type of rough water.

BUT if your only using it on small cottage lakes, I'm sure it would be great for your needs.

Legend and Tracker are both famous for under powering their packaged boats...if an informed buyer looks at the cost of upgrading to a proper sized motor, than the price quickly becomes the same as a Lund, Alumicraft, Lowe, Princecraft, Crestliner, etc.

One thing I always tell folks is a legend or tracker on the water (so long as it is still floating) is better than standing on shore.

Seems like they put unpowered motors on to make the price look better.

Yes, Legend boats are known for that. I think that Legend boats are fine. Legend does not make their own hulls. SmokerCraft makes a lot of their hulls. I do think Legend adds their one accessories.

I think a 20hp (let alone 15hp) is too small for that boat. I recommend that you get close to the max HP so that it will get up on plane. You can back off on the throttle once you're on plane.

I don't know how it is even legal for Legend to sell that boat in that shape.

It would not be safe on the water...would not be able to plane....

I know there is a certain legend sponsored angler on this board who will defend legend for putting drastically under powered motors on their boats...but do consider the source.

that boat should have a 30hp as a "minimum" with a 40hp as a option.

I believe it should illegal for a boat manufacturer to package a boat and motor option with the motor less than 75% of the recommended hp.

when you can't plane you plow water, burn extra gas, and depending on the body of water, could put yourself in a serious situation.

a boat should be equipment with an motor designed for it....

if a 16' boat is designed for a 40hp motor, it should be illegal to offer a 15hp motor on it.

Now, if someone wants to buy a 15hp motor, and add it to the boat, so be it....

But you know the folks buying 16' side console boats with 15hp motors simply don't know any better....

you would be hard pressed to find a Lund, Princecraft, Crestliner, etc offering packages with outboards rated at 33% of the hp rating.

on simcoe and even on balsam an under powered boat is dangerous if wind and waves come up and you cant get up on plane to go into the waves to get back to the launch , then you must go with the waves

you cant go very fast because you will plow water or the front of the boat will be high obstructing your view and making it easy for a rouge wave to spin the boat around

By the time you buy that boat with a proper motor, which imo should be at least a. 30, but more likely a 40 , you'd be at the price of a major brand. This dealer is in Thunder Bay, but I'm pretty sure you can get a similar price around here. This is just an example. $16k for a superior boat with a 40, vs 12K for a legend with a barely serviceable motor that won't even get you on plane. Just for example see link.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/thunder-bay/lund-1600-fury-with-40hp-mercury/1099402076?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'd sooner buy a boat that was a couple year old but in good condition than buy that underpowered tub. Give Hastings marine a call. I bought a Lund brand new from them in 2001, and they where great to deal with. Anyone else I've talked to since that has dealt with them has had nothing but good to say.

Edited by porkpie

I'm in the sault and willing to travel to thunderbay or the opposite direction to southern ontario.

Porkpie that boat is only a tiller with no side console

I also just did a build on the Lund sitell and I built basically the same one as the legend with a 25hp and it came out to 13500 but I'm not sure if that's U.S currency

Edited by worm dangler

Alway s max the power out then price shop.

Always found legends and trackers to be rough riding wet boats.

Lund and alumacraft about the best for the average guys with slyvan smoker craft my next choice

Don't Sylvan, SmokerCraft, and Legend have the same hulls? Sylvan and SmokerCraft are part of the same company and they make the hulls for Legend.

Thankfully some sense on this thread.

No way is it safe to have an under powered boat.

All I'm saying is, you shouldn't be allowed to sell an un-safe boat.

Yes Chris, you don't believe there is such a thing...but the rest of the boating world knows differently.

Hopefully worm dangler will heed the advice of the majority and buy a boat that has a proper motor to push it....even if it is used.

I bought my 1998 Lund with 1999 Yamaha in 2004. I still have the boat today. Hasn't left me stranded anywhere....not even once.

But I was smart enough to buy a Lund / Yamaha combo.

Had I bought a new Legend / Tracker with an under powered Merc (cause that is the cheapest motor to offer) I surely wouldn't be using the same boat today...not a chance.

You will get a very nice used boat for that price. It is very dangerous to not be able to get a boat on plane. I nearly flipped a Jon boat when I came around a corner and the wind picked the front of that boat enough to get water coming into it quickly at the transom.

I know for a fact you will not be happy with that boat woefully under powered.

A boat cover will keep a boat dry, I shrink wrap mine every year too make sure it's nice and dry every spring.

Wormdunker even though you don't have a fully enclosed garage you have a Lund, no comparison at all.

Worm Dangler shop around and look at higher priced boats for comparison. Look at the difference in fit and finish. Smoker Craft may make the hull but to Legends specs, I bet the hulls with the Smoker Craft logo on it is much better built. Down to the number of rivets on the hull. I looked at a Tracker parked outside of Bass Pro. All the compartments were 1/2 full of water, things like the water tightness of live wells etc. are the things to look for. Down to the flimsy tin latches. The width of the gunnels on those boats look as solid as a 12 foot Sears car topper. Cheap boats because they are built cheaply.

Keep looking if you intend on keeping the boat for a few happy years. I would looked for twice the boat used for the same price, and not underpowered.

Worm Dangler

My 16' side console has a 60 on it and rated for a 75.

You will be making a big mistake buying that with a 15 or even 25.

Figure a budget and go from there...you can get a nice wide deep 14 with a 20 tiller that will work just fine where you fish

If you want a 16 with just a 25 you have to go open boat with tiller and no extra weight

While smoker craft or whatever may make legend hulls, they don't make them to the same specifications

Edited by Dara

Check out starcraft boats too.

I'm also in the max power fan club. My boat wouldn't be the same without the max power. Responsive and great handling all comes with max power. Better control is never a bad thing.

That said, if you look at a lot of the fishing boats on the east coast you will find they are underpowered. My dad has a 22ft fiberglass boat with a 70 yammy. It is a dog to get on plane, but she rides the big north atlantic swells like a bird. Load it up with a load of fish or whatever and she handles them even better. My grandfather spent his life fishing on the north atlantic and the first thing he told me about running a boat is float like a bird. He fished for many, many years out of a 30 foot wooden trap skiff with a 6 hp diesel make and break engine, and he was not one to back down from big weather. You can ride out some big water going slow. Big water doesn't always mean big power, but I still prefer max power.....better to have it than not.

S.

Edited by Sinker