Tim Hales in Beaverton or Terry Goy in Gilford

FLEX ROD

Looking to go out on the ice finally that we have some, which outfitter would you suggest?

I have never used Tim Hales as I live in Woodbridge so I have always gone to the Gilford area but I am looking for suggestions.

Considering that I don't have an auger, my choices of going out are restricted and my son has his reading week this week so it would be nice to get out with him, we are either looking at Wednesday or Thursday, tomorrow is suppose to be colder but Thursday is suppose to be sunny and I have found that I don't do so well on the sunny day vs the cloudy days on the ice.

Which day would you pick?

Many thanks in advance,

FLEX

Well, I went out with Tim Hale but I have never been out with Terry Goy so I can't help you with a comparison. I will say I was very impressed with Tim and his setup, the hut I was in was very clean and comfortable, nice little propane stove so if you wanted to cook anything you could (bring all your own utensils).

The day I went was quite sunny but I caught plenty of fish and everyone else I talked to seemed to have done quite well. I don't think it will matter much which day you go, you'll have a good time!

I do the Gilford area quite a lot and can walk out easily to them. Also parking is nice and close to the lake and free. How far off shore is Tim's operation if one would choose to walk out to that area ???

How about parking in that area as well ???? thanks in advance ...ROOK

It's a pretty good rip out in Beaverton. I've actually never hoofed it myself. We always take a machine. I'm not sure how the near shore fishing is. Most of our waypoints are in deeper water.. There is tons of free parking around Beaverton, both on and off the ice. It's not a destination I'd choose for walking myself, but I've seen guys do it, and I've certainly walked further for good pickerel fishing when the ice wouldn't support a machine. I ain't walking that far to catch perch though.

Edited by porkpie

There weren't too many people fishing close to shore yesterday, I would say the closest was at least a mile out but there were a few walkers. The operator's perch huts are 2-3 miles out and we were out beyond them a bit. We used to fish Gilford quite a bit but the last couple of years we've been going to the East side. There seems to be a good number of nice size fish, and our last few trips to Cook's Bay were total dink fests. I'm sure there are still some good fish in Cooks but we've had better and more consistent results in Port Bolster and Beaverton.

Edited by G.mech

Ive never fished the beaverton area but i do agree cooks bay can be finicky at times, the perch follow the bait and ive slayed jumbos in as little as 6 feet of water out to 25 in cooks bay. If you are not willing to move around to stay on them you wont be as succesful on cooks.

I will add i rarely go to the gilford side i like to stay on my side of the bay.

I do the Gilford area quite a lot and can walk out easily to them. Also parking is nice and close to the lake and free. How far off shore is Tim's operation if one would choose to walk out to that area ???

How about parking in that area as well ???? thanks in advance ...ROOK

Parking in Beaverton was really good but there was no way I could have walked out to Tim's huts, they were a good 2-3 miles off shore and the day I went out the ice conditions were slick and made walking even short distances difficult.

curious for those who have gone to tim hales, are you able to see the fish through the hole while fishing? I have fished cooks bay with one of the hut operators and I thing its 12-15 feet so you can easily see the fish.

Not the hut I was in, water was probably 30-35' deep.