Lakair Pike Fishing...

ccmtcanada

Bly and I will be up at Lakair in 10 days!!! This will be the furthest north we've fished...actually, anywhere north of Lake Scugog fits this bill!! LOL. We want to be prepared for when we fish with Nipissing on Saturday for the Pike Tourney. We have some things, but just wondering what the experts out there think....

We have:

A few Husky Jerks

Assorted Crank Baits

A few Spinnerbaits

A bunch of plastics

Leaders

Any other suggestions...or colours choices?

Thanks....cant wait to get up there!!!!!

PS. I was going to get put this on the pinned Lakair thread, but didn't want to hijack it...there's some hilarious stuff in there!!!

Cliff and Carole, the pike there (or anywhere else for that matter) hit anything that moves. You seem to have a good enough assortment to pull off a win at the tourney. See you up there.

I have never been able to go to the Lakair G2G

but from what I hear....no one really goes fishing

it's one long party...the last one standing Saturday night wins the p.i.k.e. tourney

p.i.k.e...stands for Pukes In Kitchen Everywhere, or something like that

well that's what I hear.......not many will talk

cause what happens at Lakair..stays at Lakair

hope that helps....LOL

:Gonefishing: I was advised last night in Chat, that ya cant go wrong with Red Devil and 5 o' Diamond spoons. Reel and flutter, reel and flutter!! Gonna get me some, I'm itching for Lakair too. Seeya there!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Cliff,

For whatever it's worth. I've hooked into many pike and my PB ski on this rapala original floating minnow #13. Not far from Lakeair heading north toward the elbow and Muskie Island.

Rapala_Floater.jpg

GL :)

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

Edited by fishinonthebrain

To back up Gerritt's suggestion .............Saw guys at the camp a couple weeks back in South Bay come back with lots of Pike, and some BIG fish at that......all caught on a #14 Silver and Black Husky Jerk. Im not one to pick out a special color or lure and say it was the be all end all of baits for a certain species or lake. Just relaying what the guys told me was "the lure" for them. I didnt do much pike fishin.......but when i did, i caught a bunch of hammerhandles on smaller husky jerks and floating rapalas. Again......i dont think color, or presentation mattered much as they attacked lots of colors sizes and retrieves.

Cliff, if you can lock on to an area holding pike, what you throw is irrelevant. That's a fact. There won't be too many in the actual tourney this year anyway. Most of the crew will be at Art's cottage watching the authorities draw chalk outlines. :-)

Cliff, if you can lock on to an area holding pike, what you throw is irrelevant. That's a fact. There won't be too many in the actual tourney this year anyway. Most of the crew will be at Art's cottage watching the authorities draw chalk outlines. :-)

Just as long as we all stick together and have the same story we might get away with it.

Art

I have never been able to go to the Lakair G2G

but from what I hear....no one really goes fishing

it's one long party...the last one standing Saturday night wins the p.i.k.e. tourney

p.i.k.e...stands for Pukes In Kitchen Everywhere, or something like that

well that's what I hear.......not many will talk

cause what happens at Lakair..stays at Lakair

hope that helps....LOL

:w00t::lol:

Keep an eye out for Avery and his Jumla lures for sure :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

I learned my lesson after my trip to Shining Tree a few weeks ago. When fish bite, they dont' care what you are throwing at them; when they don't, well, let's just say that I sunk in hundreds of dollars into new lures, and all that they got on the last week of May, 2007, is a good bath in the cold, clear waters of the West Shining Tree Lake. But, be that as it may, X-Raps have always been my favourite lure to wash, and occasionally catch a pike or two, here and there, but not at Shining Tree. Dang.

Probably my best pike were caught on spinnernaits (about 1 oz or so) with a 5-6 inch twister tail as a little extra incentive. Last year, on the French, I caught a very respectable pike on a shallow invader - also raised a couple muskies with it as well. I'll have these baits with me at Lakair as well.

Great post ... I don't think I have enough in my wallet for this Lakiair thing to buy a pack of hooks. Only 5 more sleeps ... this must be what a little kid feels like waiting for Santa Clause.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hey Cliff, look forward to seeing you two up there. As everyone has already said, when they are on you can pretty much throw anything. Two years ago I was catching 12" 'er after 12" 'er on Super Shad Raps and a buddy hooked into a 40" 'er on a tiny spinnerbait 4' from the boat.

You are fine with what you have and if not come and raid my tackle box anytime...

John

Now thats funny,I dont care who you are!Hope Tom doesn't see this thread.

Joe

:Gonefishing: when are ya gonna be here?

i fished Lakair on this past sunday and did very good ,, GO BIG OR GO HOME!! .

they were hitting 3/4 os --1 /oz spinnerbaits, light colored with a red/white colorado blade,

add a singer hook and a 4" gulp twister tail for good measure. i also did good with a williams wabler

with an added weedless triple hook. it's a light spoon for it's size it can stay above the weeds.

if you' re gonna use any body bait remove the front hook cause there are alot of weeds.

p.s the water is very stained after 13 days of rain and pollen.. so use a louder bait

try to cast spoons high up so they hit the water with a slap.

Muskieman

Good Luck !

My tried and true pike weapon is.....a BLADE DANCER...... they are wicked made by berkley and they just cant resist them,cliff you guys got what you need except one of those trust me please go get a few......you will thank me for it.....take care :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: