PIKE SCARS - WHAT CAUSED IT?

PUMP KNOWS

I remember way back seeing pictures of a trout that had swam through a discarded six pack ring. The fish got stuck but didn't seem to mind. Eventually someone caught it and thought it would be a nice gesture to free it from the plastic. The cut/ scar that was left looked a lot like this pikes scars. If I had to guess, that pike has been swimming around wearing a plastic bag or with a piece of line wrapped around it. It recently freed itself and now has scars as evidence. No one will ever really know what happened to this pike. If it's over 30" long and escaped the jaws of something bigger?? Wow! How big is that something bigger??

Well after seeing the other side I would like to change my answer to big bird the reason the singles on the other side I would say it was in shallow and got the back talon in and two toes on the front lots of struggling probably tried to punch the back one though again and the front two ripped through and you caught it and the bird had to try again

????

Peter

I'm guessing disease. The wounds don't look like a bird or fish attack.

It could be the healing stage of lymphosarcoma

This stage is when the tumors are in the healing process. Sometimes this can be mistaken for things like lamprey hits or in this case maybe boat prop damage. About 50%+ of our pike caught this weekend had similar wounds. stage2.JPG http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic/44139-esocid-lymphosarcoma/

Edited by chris.brock

I'm guessing disease. The wounds don't look like a bird or fish attack.

It could be the healing stage of lymphosarcoma

This stage is when the tumors are in the healing process. Sometimes this can be mistaken for things like lamprey hits or in this case maybe boat prop damage. About 50%+ of our pike caught this weekend had similar wounds. stage2.JPG http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic/44139-esocid-lymphosarcoma/

I like this theory the best.

I don't think it would be a prop. I would say some sort of disease. I have personally seen prop scars in fish and the marks have always been perfectly parallel. The leading edge scar is at a pretty angle difference. plus there is some scaring healed up in between. Maybe an eagle but I dunno, I saw a few of those in BC as well they weren't scratches. Maybe a bull shark or gator attack. haha