4 snowmobiles fall through ice in Haliburton

farsider

Ice is real sketchy and variable this year. I'm pretty close to not even bothering with the sled or bike this winter. There are a few spots its safe to do so.... for the most part. But not many. Unfortunately a lot of the sledheads just see tracks and go. Hopefully they find the body soon for the families sake.

Sad for the remaining members of the family who have lost one of their own,

When if ever will people get the message to check things out, ask locals and slow down, it is meant to be fun not deadly

my respects to the families

Edited by mr blizzard

its very unfortunate that a life gets lost, been riding my sled on sturgeon for two weeks, drilled from 5-8 inches in places i checked, there is always the bad areas though, the biggest issue is panic people see a bit of open water or slush and grab a handful of brake, keep it to the bar my friends you'll be safer

Just seen that posted on FB from a woman I work with who knows the family. Sad. Sorry for the loss to all his friends and family.

Well said ,,,we all poke fun at jack :asshat:s who ditch something thru the ice and come out safe BUT I learned a valuable lesson years back that when someone dies, the teasing stops because it just went to a higher level, and someone always knows someone who was involved,,,,,someone passed some snide comment about my cousin who also died in a winter incident years ago in Sudbury...needless to say they shut up pretty quick

again sorry for all involved

Well said ,,,we all poke fun at jack :asshat:s who ditch something thru the ice and come out safe BUT I learned a valuable lesson years back that when someone dies, the teasing stops because it just went to a higher level, and someone always knows someone who was involved,,,,,someone passed some snide comment about my cousin who also died in a winter incident years ago in Sudbury...needless to say they shut up pretty quick

again sorry for all involved

It is sad that error can happen even if those involved here tested the ice prior to hitting the lake (no clue if that's the case or not, now a moot point). But the only track I ever trust is the one I make or follow behind Ernie. Even then, I worry with this insane winter we have had.

Pin it to win it should be a sticker on the dash of every sled and the words "this isn't a jetski so giver!"

It is sad that error can happen even if those involved here tested the ice prior to hitting the lake (no clue if that's the case or not, now a moot point). But the only track I ever trust is the one I make or follow behind Ernie. Even then, I worry with this insane winter we have had.

Pin it to win it should be a sticker on the dash of every sled and the words "this isn't a jetski so giver!"

totally agree many people do not even read a manual before they use a machine , some just learn by listening to a buddy,,,,,,,,,,maybe just maybe along with the usual safety decals on a quad or sled maybe some universal symbol could be used to represent the above or at least put something to that affect on the cover of the manual even if it saves just one life it would be worth it

Edited by mr blizzard

Exactly!!!! When in doubt pin it!!!!!

And don't let off until you're on solid ground. ;)

It can't be said often enough, so many people would have survived if they had pinned it instead of (as Ernie said) "grabbed a handful of brake". The second thing I taught my son when he got his first sled at 8 years old was "open water = open throttle"! The first thing I taught him was "if you don't know, don't go".

That should be drilled into every person that purchases a sled, it can be a lifesaver

and pray that your belt doesnt blow

ive been caught in a bad situation myself and hammered down the gas and made it out safe, but the whole minute i was flying at 140 across the lake I was praying everything just kept running smooth.

That should be drilled into every person that purchases a sled, it can be a lifesaver

Not just with sleds. The good old "when in doubt, throttle out" can save your butt on a wide range of vehicles and has for me many times.

It's astonishing how many clueless people there are out there operating machinery from cars to motorcycles to sleds when they shouldn't even be trusted with a bicycle in a parking lot. It's unfortunate that the friends and family of the deceased are the ones who end up suffering. Harsh? Maybe. But it's 2016 and there are zero excuses for stuff like this when the tools (internet, training courses, compact augers, FLOTATION SUITS) to help avoid such mishaps are so readily available.

I bought a sled last year and was actually criticized for wearing my ice fishing flotation suit instead of my non floating suit as I didn't have the funds to buy a nice floater. Apparently the red clashes with my blue sled and we're suppose to put priority on appearance over function. :wallbash: