Carefull On Simcoe

4x4bassin

Not sure if anyone here is going out on Simcoe over the next couple days (I'm sure there is) but be

aware of some high winds coming our way. With lots of open water , the ice that is there

could break away and leave you stranded and in the drink . Not a good situation I'm sure !

Edited by 4x4bassin

Thanx for the warning. I hope lottsa guys read your post. Many people do not realize that when they access the ice in the morning it's all good, only to return later in the day to find the ice has opened up & you're facing 6' of open water between you & shore. Scary!

I was out on cooks bay sunday afternoon and was surprised at how man permanent huts were out there, ice were i went was 6" tops and with the warmer weather i wouldnt be bringing a machine back out until it gets cold again for a bit.

Extreme caution should be exercised over the short term.

I was out on cooks bay sunday afternoon and was surprised at how man permanent huts were out there, ice were i went was 6" tops and with the warmer weather i wouldnt be bringing a machine back out until it gets cold again for a bit.

Extreme caution should be exercised over the short term.

Looking at the long range forecast there is no "really" good ice making weather in the next couple of weeks. I have a feeling this could be a very early soft water season this year.

We walked out just east of Bolster, Must have drilled 50 holes looking. Lots of people out but all reported the same all small fish.
Was brutal walking out till we got to smooth ice 200 yards of shove ice was hard to travel on, dumped my sled I don't know how many times, lost all the water in our minnow pail.
Was hard on the legs,if you fell could be a hazard.

I put up a post on Brian B's other thread of my days results.

Have a look at satellite image, 1/3 of SImcoe is still open as of January 23rd.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=o&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.16023.1743.LakeOntario.143.250m.jpg

With the winds today, anybody going out should get their life insurance policy upgraded ;)

Edited by Joey

I think I'll stay off the ice until oh I don't know, about the rest of my life maybe. I'll actually probably will go out sometime if Long Point Bay ever freezes again. I love looking down the hole in clear water and watch the fish feed, or not feed. I really understand the passion some of you hard core hard water folks have but the reward is nowhere close to the risk early or late season. The same goes for going out on a big lake or any water fighting 5 foot plus waves to fish. I understand the need to do it I don't share that kind of passion for fishing and other things actually the older I get.

The rain has been eating away at the surface on Kempenfelt. The good news is if the temperature flips we'll be able to lace up the tacks and skate to all the way to BBP.

Just went by the bay. Thats a skaters dream out there right now. Rob, if it does hold and stay skate friendly, I will let you pull me out there.

I sure hope it holds and get super solid.