I need to rant !!!

Beans

They were not handed Healthcards and Drivers licences on the spot. The only thing they were given were Social Insurance Cards. We'll blame old age on this 'oopsie' :) :)

I believe the report was Sin cards and Health cards as stated by our Goverment amoung other things we have to fight to get at times

Since when is the government holding back healthcards to citizens of this country?

Bill I did not say or state they were holding back Health cards to Citizens in this contry, I do know that when my father came here from England ( yes we are Immigrants) he had to wait 6 months with working to get OHIP at that time... now they are given out at any time

Edited by Loonietoon

My comment "You need to be a refuge they will come to you and take care of everything for you!" was in referance to the fact that our government was meeting refugees on arrival and supplying them with SIN numbers, Health Cards, Drivers Licenses........ on the spot!

No one just gets handed a drivers license. It takes many months to earn one through driving tests.

Only a few thousand of these many million of refugees have been allowed to enter Canada anyways.

The Canadian government has actuarial scientists who have poured over refugee statistics to ensure

that they will pay tons of tax over their lives.

The few allowed in will be professionals (doctorates, engineers, etc) anyways

eventually they will work as janitors or fast food servants way below their abilities.

Aside from native aboriginals we are all immigrants.

Edited by ehg

It's also not good another member bites the dust. That guy started here in 07.

Thanks Chris. This is the real point of my comment. I don't want to single anyone out or beat anyone up (metaphorically speaking), and I'll be the first guy to apologize when I'm wrong (as I was and did earlier today). I just don't want to see people leaving because they were made to feel excluded or unwelcome.

I like that we have wide latitude on NF posts, but I do think there should be no tolerance for exclusionary language that may offend or alienate members.

Bill I did not say or state they were holding back Health cards to Citizens in this contry, I do know that when my father came here from England ( yes we are Immigrants) he had to wait 6 months with working to get OHIP at that time... now they are given out at any time

People wait for a lot of things, I'm still not to sure what that has to do with these current refugees getting health cards.

I believe that unless it has changed their should be a waiting time for a health card for them also... just my opinion..

Why make them wait? Because someone who hasn't escaped a war zone has to wait 4-6 weeks? I realize a lot of people think these refugees are going to be nothing but a drain on the system (Like we already don't have enough of that in this province), but seriously let's give them all the help they can get.

Well this one really went off the rails...what else is new...

For what it`s worth when I lost my job of 35 years there was nothing available for me....oh wait sorry they showed me how to do a resume... :thumbsup_anim:...dude came right out and told me there was nothing for a guy like me ( 56 year old white guy)...if I was a single mother...visible minority...aboriginal...new Canadian etc. there are numerous programs available....

Oh well chive on!!!!

Why make them wait? Because someone who hasn't escaped a war zone has to wait 4-6 weeks? I realize a lot of people think these refugees are going to be nothing but a drain on the system (Like we already don't have enough of that in this province), but seriously let's give them all the help they can get.

My point is people come from other Countries that immigrate here get jobs and I believe have to wait a period of time because they have to contribute in to the system... not saying do not give help but at least after they contribute like everyone else... Thats all I am saying...

Would someone tell me where it is written that a person can go through life without being offended - this PC stuff is dangerous - when you can't say what is on your mind things have gotten pretty bad - it is called free speech - a fundamental right of people living in a free society - remember all it takes is the government to make certain speech hate crime and it has basically taken this right away - and next thing you are living in a police state - if I am against gay marriage, immigration, gun control .etc I have every right to say so and if some person doesn't like what I say - well that's just too bad - people that jump all over you because you said something that offends them better be careful because they are only fueling a dangerous trend that may turn around some day and bite them where it hurts

Would someone tell me where it is written that a person can go through life without being offended - this PC stuff is dangerous - when you can't say what is on your mind things have gotten pretty bad - it is called free speech - a fundamental right of people living in a free society - remember all it takes is the government to make certain speech hate crime and it has basically taken this right away - and next thing you are living in a police state - if I am against gay marriage, immigration, gun control .etc I have every right to say so and if some person doesn't like what I say - well that's just too bad - people that jump all over you because you said something that offends them better be careful because they are only fueling a dangerous trend that may turn around some day and bite them where it hurts

Everyone has a right to speak their opinion. They do not have a right to do so without criticism. I can and will call out racism when I see it, as I also have the right to free speech.

However, this is a private board, which means you DO NOT have the right to free speech. Our speech here is at the permission of the mods based on board rules designed to foster a sense of community. I don't think this board should tolerate anti-immigrant speech, but ultimately it's not my board. It would be nice to hear the mods ring in on this. Could be a chance for them to let new Canadians (and old Canadians who were once new) that they are welcome here at OFC.

I think you may think you are in the USA......

Regarding my drivers license comment; that came from an article that aired on CTV just prior to the first plane load landing in Toronto and they stated that Services Canada would be there to help them get (among other things) their drivers license. They may have misspoke and if so I misquoted, I didn't check to see if it was fact or not.

As far as me ever being offended by anyone: some of the very best lessons I have learned in life were from people that challanged what I thought I knew and were able to open my eyes to a different way of seeing things. About the only way anyone could offend me would be to steal from me because if you needed something I had and asked I'd probably just give it to you anyway.

Boy how things have changed eh?

What makes you think things have changed for the worse or better? It is the guberment always has been always will be. When my Grandfather retired from the CNR in 1966 they directed him through the process. It was all craps and giggles UNTIL the guberment decided he was NOT a in fact a Canadian citizen.

Apparently the "official" who checked his parents in as they arrived from England in 1902 didn't dot all the i's and cross enough t's for him as he was less than one year old and considered a babe in arms or some nonsense....

He was a bit outraged as he had paid income tax from the day it was implemented during WW1, property tax for over 40yrs and NEVER took a dime from the guberment for anything, until his pension.

So crap happens always did always will when it comes to the guberment....

I can and will call out racism when I see it, as I also have the right to free speech.

I don't think this board should tolerate anti-immigrant speech,

I think that's a bit of a stretch.

The fast tracked, huge influx of Syrian refugees is a unique circumstance, not the usual immigration process. If someone has concerns about it, it doesn't mean they are racist or anti-immigration.

Regarding my drivers license comment; that came from an article that aired on CTV just prior to the first plane load landing in Toronto and they stated that Services Canada would be there to help them get (among other things) their drivers license. They may have misspoke and if so I misquoted, I didn't check to see if it was fact or not.

As far as me ever being offended by anyone: some of the very best lessons I have learned in life were from people that challanged what I thought I knew and were able to open my eyes to a different way of seeing things. About the only way anyone could offend me would be to steal from me because if you needed something I had and asked I'd probably just give it to you anyway.

Now I can see why your not trusting of the government as they steal from you almost daily.

I think that's a bit of a stretch.

The fast tracked, huge influx of Syrian refugees is a unique circumstance, not the usual immigration process. If someone has concerns about it, it doesn't mean they are racist or anti-immigration.

Many Liberals see racism everywhere and with everything because they love to play the race card to their advantage. Only thing, many of us now consider it old and worn out and are tired of it and see them as the racists now. And that is why racism never goes away.....