Finally - My Magazine Is Launched!! (And A Question)

solopaddler

I know you dont hunt Mike, but would you be willing to have a good hunting story added? The fishing, well we all know you have that covered. I could send you a couple of good stories of hunts pass,that Im sure you could edit with proper grammer and all. LOL

Best of luck with this.

B

Appreciate the offer more than you know Brian, but hunting is not my thing.

Hey Mike

First off Huge Congrats!! Well done!

As for online reports before or after the mag. I really think as you have said, since your reports will be a small percentage of the mag contents. People will 'not' be subscribing just to read your reports.

So as suggested maybe an online teaser/abbreviated report and then something in the mag followed by a full online report. Would be my preference.

However I hope you never do away with your online reports. The pics and videos tell a huge part of the story and add big time!! I would think adding pics in your mag would be space limiting

Its your online reports that have me booking another fly in fishing trip!! LOL I luv it!!

Cheers

Rick

Hey Mike

First off Huge Congrats!! Well done!

As for online reports before or after the mag. I really think as you have said, since your reports will be a small percentage of the mag contents. People will 'not' be subscribing just to read your reports.

So as suggested maybe an online teaser/abbreviated report and then something in the mag followed by a full online report. Would be my preference.

However I hope you never do away with your online reports. The pics and videos tell a huge part of the story and add big time!! I would think adding pics in your mag would be space limiting

Its your online reports that have me booking another fly in fishing trip!! LOL I luv it!!

Cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick! I'm 90% sure that's exactly how I'm going to handle things. On a side note have you booked Whiteclay or Whitewater yet?

I like the hunting idea. You should really consider doing that. A lot of fisherman, dare I say most, are also hunters.

It would certainly add something.

S.

I'd have to change the name and the entire concept of the mag. I have nothing against hunting, but I have a clear vision on what I'd like a fishing magazine to be. This is it. :)

I always enjoy your articles, you certainly have a great story telling ability. This is what makes great writers! Whether this works out for you or not I hope you don't stop sharing your stories.

I don't really know how anyone makes a fair salary from the fishing industry. I know guys that dedicated 40 hours a week for 5 years on top of their regular jobs to just break even at that point. I love fishing too much to turn it into a job but I wish you lots of success!

I've always enjoyed your online reports Mike. I wouldn't change a thing regarding that, unless your day needs to be 48 hours instead of 24 :whistling: lol

FWIW the first edition looks great and it is very well done IMHO! I hope it continues to grow and you reach what you are striving for!

I know it's your passion!

I always enjoy your articles, you certainly have a great story telling ability. This is what makes great writers! Whether this works out for you or not I hope you don't stop sharing your stories.

I don't really know how anyone makes a fair salary from the fishing industry. I know guys that dedicated 40 hours a week for 5 years on top of their regular jobs to just break even at that point. I love fishing too much to turn it into a job but I wish you lots of success!

Thanks! Fact is as a writer there is zero money to be made. It's a huge investment in time for what amounts to pocket change. Frankly I don't expect to make a ton of money with this project, more than anything I'm just following my dream and doing what I love.

I've always enjoyed your online reports Mike. I wouldn't change a thing regarding that, unless your day needs to be 48 hours instead of 24 :whistling: lol

FWIW the first edition looks great and it is very well done IMHO! I hope it continues to grow and you reach what you are striving for!

I know it's your passion!

Thanks Rick, it's nice to hear feedback from someone who's actually seen and read the premier issue. I will still continue to post online, but based on the feedback I've received I'll be waiting until the associated magazine feature is published. I've been averaging 80 hour weeks for a long time now and that won't be changing anytime soon. :)

Edited by Mike Borger

The process of purchasing the Mag was fairly straight forward even for a Pre-Cambrian like moi :rolleyes:

Hard work and long hours seem to go hand in hand with you Mike! NGTBSUYA but the amount of good will you have shown potential clients for outfitters alone is astounding. Your experience regarding said and the fact that you are able to share, is invaluable. I know travelling to far off destinations is not every ones cup. But your reads, pictorials and videos of camps that you have visited, are at the very least entertaining, if not extremely informative. Now your network will expand with the Magazine...........The staff of writers that have been assembled are very capable of delivering good quality stories in the way you have envisioned! Impressive photography BTW!

Bravo!

The process of purchasing the Mag was fairly straight forward even for a Pre-Cambrian like moi :rolleyes:

Hard work and long hours seem to go hand in hand with you Mike! NGTBSUYA but the amount of good will you have shown potential clients for outfitters alone is astounding. Your experience regarding said and the fact that you are able to share, is invaluable. I know travelling to far off destinations is not every ones cup. But your reads, pictorials and videos of camps that you have visited, are at the very least entertaining, if not extremely informative. Now your network will expand with the Magazine...........The staff of writers that have been assembled are very capable of delivering good quality stories in the way you have envisioned! Impressive photography BTW!

Bravo!

Thanks Rick, it means a lot.

Congratulations on the mag mike, ill be getting an issue to have a look at what you have going.

Im not about to make suggestions on what you should do, you made it this far i think you know at heart what you have to do.

I like the offer of a story i might try pass one along at some point and see if you like it.

Best of luck with everything!

Like most other people I'd probably have a delay inbetween when the mag comes out before any of that content is posted online, especially when people will be paid subscribers.

That edition was great Mike! Can't wait until the next one!

I like the offer of a story i might try pass one along at some point and see if you like it.

Best of luck with everything!

Thanks, and DEFINITELY drop me a line!!

Like most other people I'd probably have a delay inbetween when the mag comes out before any of that content is posted online, especially when people will be paid subscribers.

That edition was great Mike! Can't wait until the next one!

Thanks Billy. :)

Wow, congrats Mike

Thanks Joey!

Saving for work tommorrow

Feedback soon

(By the way we did good on the water during our facebook chat lol)

That's no coincidence Rick. That's God's way of saying "Buy 10,000 copies of Mike's magazine and you will catch more fish!" :)

My sincerest best wishes in your newest endeavor!

I'll be honest, I don't buy magazines or subscriptions, I don't pay for TV and my internet is as cheap (and slow) as it gets (chris brock anyone?)... so, I'm not really your best demographic. I would, however; assume there is a very viable market for what appears to be a magazine dripping with quality and sincerity (as is reflected in what you post on OFC). Good things rise to the top, even if you have a slow start, you'll likely prosper with tenacity and smart marketing.

Good luck Solopaddler!!

... that made me think of a 'column' idea: "The Solopaddler stories", short reminiscent pieces on the last page, detailing funny, odd or unique things that happened to you in the past.

My sincerest best wishes in your newest endeavor!

I'll be honest, I don't buy magazines or subscriptions, I don't pay for TV and my internet is as cheap (and slow) as it gets (chris brock anyone?)... so, I'm not really your best demographic. I would, however; assume there is a very viable market for what appears to be a magazine dripping with quality and sincerity (as is reflected in what you post on OFC). Good things rise to the top, even if you have a slow start, you'll likely prosper with tenacity and smart marketing.

Good luck Solopaddler!!

... that made me think of a 'column' idea: "The Solopaddler stories", short reminiscent pieces on the last page, detailing funny, odd or unique things that happened to you in the past.

Thanks bud! For what it's worth the exact concept you discussed was incorporated into the magazine. It's called "Campfire Tales" and there will be a short narrative piece written by me reminiscing about a past experience in every issue. I thought the one in my premier issue turned out pretty good. :)

Things admitedly have started out slow and I've been a bit bummed out, but I'm in this for the long haul. The team I have behind me is unreal in every way and they're giving me a lot of hope. :)

Edited by Mike Borger

I don't buy magazines or subscriptions, I don't pay for TV and my internet is as cheap (and slow) as it gets (chris brock anyone?)... so, I'm not really your best demographic.

Brothas from anotha motha.

We might actually be a good case study because we are being honest and are genuinely trying to help out.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to try and get everyone here that's willing, to share your online edition on their facebooks, I will be! And I'll end up purchasing it eventually, once I find a new employer lol

I have a personal Facebook page where the magazine info has been posted, among other things. It's a good idea, appreciate the support!! In the meantime best of luck with your job search, that's gotta be tough!

Brothas from anotha motha.

We might actually be a good case study because we are being honest and are genuinely trying to help out.

What help??? LOL!

I've went to your buy section a couple times and see no security claims. So I will ask how secure is your site.

No worries. My digital platform Magzter is the largest of its kind in the world with over 27 million subscribers. They are more secure than Fort Knox. :)

You will never find a "how-to" style article in this magazine, that's just not me.

I just re- read this thread and noticed this statement.^^^

I think that this is an area that should be explored/explained to your readers. I typically don't purchase fishing magazines but when I do, this is the kind of information that I enjoy reading about.

The destinations and stories are a great read and getaway for the reader. But these destinations are trips that I will never be able to afford. ( at least not

anytime soon )

I don't mean exploiting and pushing product, but explaining tactics and techniques for catching trophy fish in trophy waters. maybe a section on what to bring

( ie lures , line , leaders ect... )

Just my 2 cents !