Sad news - be careful out there

John Bacon

If he was paddling in the river on Thursday as the story suggests I'm sure it was flowing pretty fast after the monsoon on Wednesday. There's undoubtedly a lot of rocks and debris to bounce off between where he launched and Leslie St....he likely floated 50 km or so and was still alive after two days. Pretty amazing actually but unfortunately he didn't make it to tell the story. Very sad.

very sad indeed

i kayak fish and i know the dangers

i would not head out in the fall without a drysuit and a type I life vest ( turns you right side up if unconscious )

and if going into a big lake i would use a beacon

any type of solo boating has its dangers

all we can do is be prepared as best we can

A properly worn pfd will help keep some body heat in but yeah, much depends on what he was wearing and what type of kayak he was in. Below Erindale there is some moving water but not much. There's a bit by the UoTM and through the golf course but nothing very technical, then it's flat till the lake. But yeah, a drysuit or even wetsuit would have helped unless he took a hit to the head. I'm in a drysuit once October rolls around and will stay in that until after the May 2/4.

I wonder how far off shore he floated as it's maybe around 22-25 km as crow flies. Figured someone would have seen an empty kayak or colourful pfd in the water.

very sad story

I've used a SPOT and now have an InReach, initially purchased for hunting trips but I've started to carry mine on my body whenever I do anything these days, alone or with a friend...hunting, fishing, boating, etc...they are small and packable, and worth it's weight in gold when you really need it...every outdoorsman should have one nowadays imo, small price to pay to help with your safety

Boaters/paddlers would benefit from wearing emergency strobe lights on their pfd. I got a couple of small ones from Wayne when he was selling them and they're great although I haven't had a chance to attach them to mine yet. They come on automatically and blink white light continuously, which should grab someone's attention. If this boater had something similar, I would guess that they might have been found sooner.

This poor fella has joined fellow Kayaker Serge Lapointe, who also met his untimely fate on a cold November day in his Kayak on Lake Ontario.

I hope all our Kayaking friends take all precautions before yaking in the winter on a great lake.

Edited by Steve

Port Credit must have security cameras to see when he paddled by. Any other situation would mean NO ONE saw him float by which I find hard to believe. I think there's a gauge for the Credit, will see if I can dig it out to see what the flow was compared to normal seasonal flows.

edit- so the levels for Oct 29 weren't very high (4.8 give or take, 5.7 is very high with most whitewater play features washed out). If he started at the arena in Streetsville I could see consequences but Erindale Park is relatively safe, from a whitewater paddling pov.

Edited by woodenboater