Pigeon Lake - The Results

hutch4113

First off, I want to thank everyone that chimed in and offered tips/advice for our outing yesterday. It is one of the reasons I really like this board, compared to some others. Going to a lake for the first time can always be a bit nerve racking - but all the suggestions made it much easier.

To the Fish

To set the scene, my Buddy who just got into fishing about 5 years ago, has decided he wants to try for Muskie. So he called me up Wednesday, to see if I could go out Friday - bit of short notice but still doable. However I did mull it over - I am going away this Winter and need to save my Vacation days - I have also gone 3 to 4 years probably, without getting a sniff of a Muskie - which has been getting depressing to say the least.

So - do I go - or not.

Logic won over (a bad day fishing is better than a good day working) so off we went. Sharing with him all the info we had gathered, the 3 of us set out:

Mark - a gentleman who is an avid Hunter, but not a Muskie fisherman.

Matt - A novice, but quickly succumbing to the fishing disease - figure it is 90% over for him now...lol.

Me - by no means an expert, but the only one of the group to catch a 40+ Muskie. Even then it was by accident. We were going for Muskie, but got bored when nothing happened and switched to a Bass presentation - so of course I caught a Muskie.

My advise to them - pretend you are fishing for Rock Bass, Sunfish, etc. That way a Big Muskie is sure to bite. :whistling:

The Dawn

To get the idea of how much Matt is into fishing now, the start time changed - from leaving Barrie at 7:30Am - then to 6:30 - and finally 6AM. He did not want to miss a minute on the water.

We were the first ones to the Launch, and it really was a beautiful morning. Everything was frost tipped, and dead quiet.

77242dc0-e7f0-4281-ab77-bfeb932aba8c.jpg

And so the preparation began for an 8AM Launch:

0611a313-b1d3-4ac0-8e51-be0b1944452b.jpg

That is Matt in the background, and his friend Mark. We were going out in a boat smaller than I am used to - I had offered to take mine, but we were possibly going to a much smaller lake, that I would not have been able to launch in, so to keep it as an option we took the little tinny.

While it was tight - and Matt and I tangled lines - oh at least 3 or 4 times, it worked.

The Start

We headed out towards Big Island, trolling down the Channel. The water was actually pretty rough for that time of the morning - Big Rollers, and a wind out of the North. But nothing too extreme, and because we were going with the Wind it was ok.

The hunt began. We went down the West side of the Island - while we had a depth gauge, we had no charts, so had to kind of eyeball it, target water at least 15 feet deep, looking for drop offs, humps, etc.

As we were coming around South Birch Point, we had our first strike of the day (around 11 AM) that went to Mark.

Mark%20-%20Muskie.jpg

Really a beautiful looking fish, right in the depth we expected (15 to 20 feet). It got us really excited, and we hoped that the bite was on. But after trolling around the same area for at least an hour - nothing. And so it was time to move on.

The Afternoon

We started making our way North, towards Hurricane Point, up the Back Channel, alternating between trolling and casting. By this time the wind had died, the Sun was up, and even though there was a definite Fall chill in the air, it was truly glorious.

We hit Hurricane point, and while seeing several areas of nice structure - no Fish. At this point I had probably thrown 10 different lures, from Spinners to top water, to deep diving cranks, just to see if we would get a follower.

Then our 2nd strike - this time the honors went to Matt.

Matt%20-%20Muskie.jpg

Not a big one, but at least it was a catch (as he commented - at least he did not get skunked). This was at about 4PM. The wind had changed (now coming out of the South), and we all were getting a little tired at this point.

I have to honestly say, while I was happy for them both, I was starting to get the feeling of disappointment. The day was drawing to a close, and it looked like I would be shut out - Again.

The Last Attempt

We knew we had at least 2 hours left to fish, so we decided as a group to head back to South Birch Point, and try again. Then we would troll back up the West side to the Launch.

But this was proving to be about the same. As time went by it looked more and more like I would be going home empty handed. I had thrown/used just about everything we had, so "borrowed" a Lure from Matt. They were using jointed cranks, with brown/red/white - he only had one more with the same colour, but not jointed - but I figured at this point colour was more important.

As the sun set into the Horizon, we started our journey back up the West side of Big Island - when we got our 3rd and final strike of the day (with about 1/2 hour of sun left)

When it happened, my brain was in numb/depressed mode. I really thought I had just hit a rock and/or weeds. But Mark was yelling from the front of the Boat - Fish On - and boy was he right.

I had forgotten what a Big Muskie feels like - basically a tank. I had a really good Rod, so knew I could keep the pressure on, but it was not moving. After a bit, Mark saw the flash of a tail, and muttered - oh - its a big one. And yes - it was:

Summer%202015%20233.jpg

Now - a little about the Picture. First off - I look like a knob (will get that out of the way). Being in the middle of the boat, I had to lean back just so Matt could get it all in the picture. So I look like I am having an episode (come to think of it I probably was).

At any rate, my heart was still pounding, but thinking of the Fish we did a quick measurement (at least 44 - possibly 45) and got it back into the water. Had to help it for a bit - but it was gratifying to see it swim off - with a tail flick in my face for good measure (always deserved).

Weight - not sure - but it was heavy.

Aftermath

Fishing is always a journey of ups and downs. But I had to remind myself as the day went on - I was out in Creation, with friends, on a beautiful day. Regardless of the results, there are not many that have that opportunity to see how gorgeous our planet truly is:

ea3bd316-3a9d-4d26-b062-637efb36563b.jpg

Pigeon20-20Big20Island20Goodbye.jpg

Everyone was stoked - we did not get skunked - and for 3 guys, a small boat, and a unknown lake, did pretty good.

d81d1fc5-d8c5-4a97-ae36-328b69b6c216.jpg

Edited by Tupelo

Good to hear your day went so well and congrats to everyone on the muskies, always nice when everyone gets in on the action.

Pigeon is a big lake and considering it was your 1st time there you guys did very well.

If you decide to try it again next summer, the lower end is shallow and loaded with pencil reeds that hold a ton of decent fish.

The hunt began. We went down the West side of the Island - while we had a depth gauge, we had no charts, so had to kind of eyeball it, target water at least 15 feet deep, looking for drop offs, humps, etc.

As we were coming around South Birch Point, we had our first strike of the day (around 11 AM) that went to Mark.

Mark%20-%20Muskie.jpg

Really a beautiful looking fish, right in the depth we expected (15 to 20 feet). It got us really excited, and we hoped that the bite was on. But after trolling around the same area for at least an hour - nothing. And so it was time to move

I think that is a Tiger Muskie. Rounded fins,etc. Usually Pigeon Lake muskies are 'clear' pattern with 'forked' fins with sharp points.

Never caught or heard of Tiger musky in Pigeon Lake. I think you got one.

Awesome! Great report and well done. 3 muskies in a day is nothing to sneeze at either. Don't think that is a tiger though I would say "barred" musky. Muskies come in a number of different looks and that one is a beaut.

Sorry, your wrong Rizzo. Have caught musky on Pigeon for 30 + years. They are always 'clear' musky. Barred musky are Great Lakes strain not found in Kawarthas. That is a Tiger look at rounded fins. The last, largest musky is typical Pigeon with sharp, forked fins.

Check out this site for more info.

http://www.musky.ca/muskieskinpatterns.htm

Anyways, Tupelo you did great catching 3 musky in one day on an unfamiliar lake. A tiger musky to boot.

I don't think that's a tiger musky, but its a nice looking fish. I've caught them like that out of pigeon before, but most are clear like the last one.

Great day boys!

S.

Sorry to disagree Shayne, the rounded fins are exclusive to tiger-pike take a closer look.

Pure Kawarthas musky have pointed fins like last, largest, typical Kawartha musky.

First musky is a tiger...that is all.

We were pretty stoked. I told Matt it was - really an amazing result - 3 guys, each with a Muskie, on new water, in late fall. I hope to get up there again before end of season, but will see.

Want to try the South end next year. Really a nice body of Water.

Sorry, your wrong Rizzo. Have caught musky on Pigeon for 30 + years. They are always 'clear' musky. Barred musky are Great Lakes strain not found in Kawarthas. That is a Tiger look at rounded fins. The last, largest musky is typical Pigeon with sharp, forked fins.

Check out this site for more info.

http://www.musky.ca/muskieskinpatterns.htm

Anyways, Tupelo you did great catching 3 musky in one day on an unfamiliar lake. A tiger musky to boot.

This is 100% not true about Pigeon fish being all clear. I will add some pics of barred and even spotted Pigeon fish, I would say that my ratio is 50/50 between clear and others caught from Pigeon. I have caught plenty of hybrids and know the difference between the two. That being said, the one that Tupelo posted certainly does look like a tiger from that particular shot - but need to see a better shot of the tail and have a pore count to be sure.

Edited by Fisherpete

99.9% sure she's just a regular old musky. Does have interesting fins however. Here's my buddies from pigeon last weekend below. Once that fish grows up, like over 42", it will look clear. I'm no biologist, but pretty sure that fish might clear up. Most fish under 40" look like they have patterns similar, that musky's above are just really pronounced and got a lot of light on the bottom half for the pic.

IMG_3325_zpsyj3qokg3.jpg

Edited by JoshS

I will stick with my original assessment that that fish is not a tiger. Take a look at the post from fisherpete...that is a tiger. With tigers that striated pattern goes right up into the gill plate, and the fish tend to be less " green" than a musky and a bit more "bronze" in colour. Its a beauty fish no doubt, but I am gonna keep my vote on barred musky, not a hybrid. About 7 or 8 years ago I caught a fish out of the Niagara River that looked just like this one (bigger of course...this is a fish story!) and I also thought it was a tiger. The kind gents (and gals) here gave me a bit of a biology/appearance lesson and I was eventually persuaded that what I had caught was a barred musky. Since then I have probably caught over 10 tigers (I used to fish Balsam a lot!) so can spot the difference a bit easier now. If I am wrong and that fish is a tiger than I have caught many more than I thought!

Edited by Rizzo