ughhh, stupid job offers NF

manitoubass2

Im currently pretty cozy at my job. Great company and pretty easy work. In fact I post here from work all the time lol cause on a 12 hour shift Im usually sitting in a work truck for 6 hours. Pay is good, $23/hour, 10 hour days and weekends off.

I get an offer today from another engineering company at the gold mine. $29 and hour, 6 on three off at 14 hour days.

Big time overtime cheques, and longterm work.

My current job is contract. I might be done in a month or 6 months, I have no clue?

Im trying to way the pros and cons here if yall could add in some thoughts it would be appreciated?

Wife says its your call.

What I dont like is the fact I basically wont see the wife or kids. Ill miss my sons hockey, fishing, hunting, and most importantly family.

I got 3 days to decide.

What would you do?

Depends on how financially stable you are. Only you can answer that. The other question is, do you have to go down the hole at the new job? Time off is a major factor for any type of employment. I work long hours when I'm on, but I have lots of time off. Me, I'm in a very stable job and I enjoy that security. It also allows for long term planning, however if I didn't see my family much, that would severely impact my opinion of my employment. Good luck.

personally, bring it to the attention of your current boss, if they like you, they may offer you something permanent to keep you

That's career suicide! Especially if you are contract.

MB2 - do what's right for the family. Money is one thing, family time is another. You will do the right thing.

HH

That's career suicide! Especially if you are contract.

MB2 - do what's right for the family. Money is one thing, family time is another. You will do the right thing.

HH

depends how long hes been contracting with that company, and what the employer is like

If he was hired as contract. He's just that, a contract/temporary employee. Any employer would tell him to walk.... I see it all the time where I am.

Take a piece of paper, write pro on one side con on the other. Make a list.....

Also, look at the tax bracket change...... Sometime taking more $$$ means less take home :)

G

Rick pros and cons for sure

Silly question but do u drive to the mine or is it a fly in

If drive to then how long is the commute with 14 hour shifts

You wouldn't see as much of the family which is very important to u

But u then have a long term steady income

However in your contract position that u are currently in, would they have u back next year if it is seasonal

If so you might be able to find something else for the winter

But as said u have to trust your heart

You will make the right decision for u and your family

depends how long hes been contracting with that company, and what the employer is like

No, it doesn't. He is a contract employee which is essentially "term" employment. The employer will view him as potentially cutting his term short, even if he doesn't accept the other offer. They will look for another "term" employee that they feel they can rely on to fullfill the obligations of the term.

An employee who puts an employer in a position of concern, is usually a soon to be ex-employee. Also, should MB2 complete the terms of his current obligation, the employer could also look to another resource, that hasn't indicated that they might not fullfill their obligation.

You should really look at this only from the point of view of the employer.... what employees think has little to nothing to do with these kind of decisions.

HH

I would at least give it a shot, job stability is something to be had these days. If I could find a job like that right now I would take it in a heartbeat personally but our paths in life are vastly different to say the least haha. Even then I wouldn't want to do those long hours for more than a few years, I've been there doing 14+ hour days up to 90 hours in a week, and I felt like a zombie come week three, but I only had Sunday off, not 3 days which would be awesome, with that overtime (do they pay after 40 or 44?) You would be easily over 100k

You've listed only wages and hours, but what other benefits? Not just medical and dental, rrsp? employee stock matching? training and development? advancement opportunity?

I would assume the mining company offers better benefits than your current temp contract position, but that's merely a strangers assumption here

I've been employed in the mining industry for the past 6 years, currently at a gold copper mine, I may be slightly biased but I'd say the mining gig is the better long term choice...but I'm not raising a family either, but there are lots of people that do and seem to be happy where I work.

Well just some insight.

When I started last year I was just a grunt. The owners son died in a diving accident and I was quickly trained in to fill that position.

Within 3 days I basically ran the show.

BUT, after the job was up I was promised full time work(and that never happened)

They didnt call me back for 7 months until they got a contract at the mine. Bit of a slap in the face.

BUT, the company is great(when your working)

Im about a 20 minute drive from work, and its just in developmental stages.

Id be switching from sampling to road gauging etc.

This new company wants me pretty bad lol. Im not too sure how or why?

I like the fact its very long term work.

I like the pay offer

I dislike the schedule and hours

I worked many 14-16 hour days in the oilfield, its not that I cant handle it.

BUT in the oilfield you really worked.

In surveying/engineering of a mine, its truly boring. Lotsa sitting around watching the loaders and dozers.

Do I need the money? Not really, im set up well on my weyerhaueser shares.

It certainly doesnt hurt though

Fact is I really like to work.

You've listed only wages and hours, but what other benefits? Not just medical and dental, rrsp? employee stock matching? training and development? advancement opportunity?

I would assume the mining company offers better benefits than your current temp contract position, but that's merely a strangers assumption here

I've been employed in the mining industry for the past 6 years, currently at a gold copper mine, I may be slightly biased but I'd say the mining gig is the better long term choice...but I'm not raising a family either, but there are lots of people that do and seem to be happy where I work.

Full benefits with both

And company trucks/fuel

If he was hired as contract. He's just that, a contract/temporary employee. Any employer would tell him to walk.... I see it all the time where I am.

Take a piece of paper, write pro on one side con on the other. Make a list.....

Also, look at the tax bracket change...... Sometime taking more $$$ means less take home :)

G

No it doesn't. It means you pay a higher percentage on the additional money, not on all of it

No, that is not true. You cannot end up with less after tax income due to an increase in before tax income.

If you move into a higher tax bracket, only the income that is over and above the limit is taxed at a higher rate.

E.g. if the tax bracket changes at $50,000 and you are earning $51,000; you will pay a higher tax rate on the $1,000; not on the entire $51,000.

No, that is not true. You cannot end up with less after tax income due to an increase in before tax income.

If you move into a higher tax bracket, only the income that is over and above the limit is taxed at a higher rate.

E.g. if the tax bracket changes at $50,000 and you are earning $51,000; you will pay a higher tax rate on the $1,000; not on the entire $51,000.

Ive always been lucky when it comes to taxes.

One year I owed $2000 roughly

But most years I either break even or get a good return

My memory is not that great but out west I actually got I believe arond $7200 in return(i think some of that was northern living allowance)

Those years I made crazy money

Im not too worried about taxes. My main goal is to live comfortably and set our kids up nicely

Edited by manitoubass2

Good info i was unaware of?

Im really looking at this for security.

I hate EI and at 35 ive only been on it twice.

Im a savage at saving money. I do buy what I need, but thats hardly ever(ie i bought a camper this spring)

We also get a hefty child tax benefit and the kids use that for what they need, the rest goes into savings.

Out here the mines are one of the biggest employers.

They pay very well and treat their employees like gold.

Excellent compensation for working on site, health and retirement plans etc.

Most in camp positions are 2 weeks in 2 weeks out. 7 days a week/12 hours a day.

Of course you get a 2 week vacation every month which isn't that bad.

Lots of families here with a parent working 2 in 2 out in the mines.

Im currently pretty cozy at my job. Great company and pretty easy work. In fact I post here from work all the time lol cause on a 12 hour shift Im usually sitting in a work truck for 6 hours. Pay is good, $23/hour, 10 hour days and weekends off.

I get an offer today from another engineering company at the gold mine. $29 and hour, 6 on three off at 14 hour days.

Big time overtime cheques, and longterm work.

My current job is contract. I might be done in a month or 6 months, I have no clue?

Im trying to way the pros and cons here if yall could add in some thoughts it would be appreciated?

Wife says its your call.

What I dont like is the fact I basically wont see the wife or kids. Ill miss my sons hockey, fishing, hunting, and most importantly family.

I got 3 days to decide.

What would you do?

A few years ago I moved out to Edmonton to take a job with a big consulting firm. Big salary, tons of overtime and lots of chance to move up in the company. I hated it. I was a 4 hour flight away from my nearest family, worked long days out in the field where I didn't even get to go home to my own bed and I felt like I was wasting my life away.

Money will come and money will go. Don't miss the moments that you will remember until the da you leave this earth. Family comes first.

well the current company hasn't done what they offered so keep that in mind. learning new skills is NEVER a bad thing and a good way to future proof yourself. The only thing that you need to decide is the hours cuz those are long days. I have a feeling you're leaning to the new place but whatever is best for your family is what it will come down to. good luck