Anyone planning to fish downstream from Montreal?

John Bacon

I'll never understand why most people flush that junk down their toilets....out of sight out of mind I guess. Why not just toss it in the garbage in the first place? All that crap - female hygiene products, condoms, baby wipes, and even dental floss(one of the worst) has to be taken out of the process anyway and shipped off to landfill, it just creates huge problems with equipment failure and extra maintenance. And when it ends up back in the river, even worse. People are lazy slobs.

Baby wipes and tampons are grarly bad for the systems

It baffles my mind that people flush things like that.

When i worked maintenance in RRFN that also included sewers etc as well as water plant duties.

I dont know how many friggen problems we had in just two years with wipes and tampons

And i really dislike working in feces???

BAN WOMEN! :)

Says the mommas boy???

Brian, i think those towels dispose in like 7 years if i remember correctly???

They are just as bad as baby wipes

We had one building I constantly got called to because of backups.

I finally snapped, went door to door and literally had to yell at the tenants to quit using these items.

That was after i had posted signs, signs even in their washrooms.

Unreal, your bathroom has a garbage in it, use the fricken thing

Oh and some genious decided to flush all his needles down the toilet! Well two actually, one a drug user one a diabetic.

Then i had to go install those safety disposal needle containers in each apartment

Unreal

UPDATE:

Montreal mayor Denis Coderre has ordered a halt to the plan of pumping raw sewage directly into the St. Lawrence River for a week.

The decision was announced at this morning's executive committee meeting

"It's a question of being thorough, with the mayor asking for a halt to the work," said Pierre Desrochers, chairman of the city's executive committee, who made the announcement on behalf of Coderre who is in New York on business.

Coderre wants a moratorium on the plan to dump eight billion litres of untreated water in the river, due to maintenance on a pipe that collects both waste water and melted snow. The maintenance is linked to work on the Bonaventure expressway.

"There is a need for snow disposal sites but there is also a need to make sure this was the best plan, if there are other options, and see if everything was taken into consideration and well thought out," said Desrochers.

The work was set to begin October 18.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure it's that big a deal.

Lots of gray water in there.

8 billion litres.

The flow rate of the St Lawrance is crazy high.

Likely more than that in a matter of minutes.

And it will be added gradually.

Not sure I'd stick my straw in the river during the dump downstream but 10 miles away will be hard pressed to measure the extra contamination.

Doesn't make for good PR though.

It's all in the dilution.

Victoria BC still dumps it ALL raw into the ocean All the time. Ottawa does it often too.

Gotta tell those smallies to stop crapping in the river too.

Just sayin.

• 4 weeks later...

Worked sewer and water main for years and the odd dump and/or spill should be no big deal but with corruption and various governments kicking the most of important cans down the road this is the inevitable outcome. The majority of cities and towns will run main trunk lines in valleys and ravines and in case of catastrophic failures gravity will take it out to sea so to speak.

With Toronto's condo boom still keeping pace along with the crumbling oval combination brick lined sewer lining the underground I'm surprised dumps/spills don't happen with more frequency. Maybe the best is yet to come.

Never been a fan of caviar anyway.