Puffballs....

Gerritt

Anyone seeing puffballs around? I have easily walked miles looking for them this year... Not even a hint of one, whereas last year they were common... I found them around this time last year.

Anyone else seeing them?

G

Edited by Gerritt

Are you looking for the giant ones? Up here we only have smaller kinds (that I've seen anyway), they've been poking out a bit.

The Chantrelle's are amazing this year, when it's too wet they get eaten by slugs almost immediately. I have 20lbs of them dehydrated

I'll take any of them at this point lol! I have walked for hours in The woods and meadows behind my place..... Nothing but some uneditable fuzz...

Perhaps Cliff is right..... Too early and as others has suggested too dry. But I was collecting at this time last year so I gave it a shot.....

I'll keep walking in the meantime.... :)

On a side note I dropped about 40kgs of apples for the deer from my apple tree..... Only 100+ to pick and take out back..

G

Mmmmmmmm...... If you do get a couple this year be sure to add them to the cooking thread!

When it comes to eating, the primary commandment for me is to enjoy it asap after picking. Under 12 inches is best. Big ones get shared if I can, or I'll leave them to mature, specially if there's only one. With steak of course :). Cooling slows the process some what, but it doesn't take long to start yellowing. I've frozen raw chunks and even tried freezing quick fried slabs. Meh...

This could be on the cooking thread, but it's on topic so here goes lol... Maybe here, or OOD or Hank Shaw even, I came across a post on dehydrating giant puffball. I am so gonna do it if I'm lucky this year. I'll likely then lightly smoke some of it too, if I get enough. Then I can even customize a mix if I want. You then grind/process and end up with a very unique and quite versatile gem. As a thickener and/or flavor enhancer for stews, gravies and sauces,soups, casseroles, even stir fry or breading. Sounds tantilizing. I'm sure hoping to get my fall treat this year.

Klinker you folks have it made down there. Even summertime. Good for you. I've never even heard of finding puffball at a farmers market. Must have dedicated customers and lots of farms.

T'is the time of the season for sure. Good luck Gerrit. At least you know where they normally are. That's the main thing by far.

Cheers

French Onion Soup:

6 Tbsp. Butter

2 -2 1/2 Lbs. onions sliced

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 Tbsp Flour

1/2 Tsp. salt

1/4 Tsp. pepper

8 cups beef broth (I prefer to make my own but using OXO or whatever works well too)

3 cups crutons

2 cups Grated Gruyere Cheese (but you can use Swiss/Mozzarella mix instead)

In a large sauce pan:

Sauté onions and sugar in the butter until golden brown, add flour, salt, and pepper, stir and cook for about 3-4 minutes.

Add beef broth, bring to a boil then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Ladle into soup bowls, add some crutons, top with cheese and broil until cheese is golden.

Now, the one thing I do that you won't be able to do is I add 1/4 cup dehydrated puff ball mushroom to mine which is what gives it that "different" flavor. Even without the puff ball this is a very acceptable French Onion Soup.

Good to know Cliff. It was probably your post I saw then. How fine do you grind it and how thin do you cut it for dehydrating? Tks.

Cheers

Slice it about 1/2" thich once it is dehydrated it crumbles quite well, I've never ground it. Store it in a zip lock bag and just squeeze out as much air as you can, it will keep for years.