2015/2016 Hockey Thread

LostAnotherOne

I watched 10 minutes of a leaf game last season. No lie. Just the same thing every game in and out. Does this move mean Bernie is gone? Or will he be a back up to the new young gun? Is that streven, think thats his name, going to be the back up and Bernie gone? The leafs havent had a solid goalie since Cujo,Fuhr, Wregget and Palmateer, Potvin. My god Im dating myself.

Bernie is as good as gone this season after this move. I hope the leafs can continue to improve their corsi because that's what Andersen's been used to playing behind is Anaheim who was a large possession team, so the leafs have to keep trending up and start where they left off last season

They will probably expose Bernier at the expansion draft. Not sure if it's the right time to invest in a goalie, they still have some growth to go through before they compete. Hopefully I'm wrong and they can compete with the new young ones in the line up next season.

remember we still have 3 more years in this plan before the team even hopes to be competitive. This guy is signed for 5 years...meaning he is in for the long haul. I dont expect him to be great this season while this team continutes to mold. But 3 years from now when the likes of marner, nylander and now matthews have learned to play at the NHL level, you are looking at a team that can play both ends of the rink and provide some protection.

Most important part here is that the leafs just signed a starting goalie, and no one really has anything negative to say about it..No one is calling him the second coming of jesus either so there is no pressure at all on him. since when does that happen in toronto?

They will probably expose Bernier at the expansion draft. Not sure if it's the right time to invest in a goalie, they still have some growth to go through before they compete. Hopefully I'm wrong and they can compete with the new young ones in the line up next season.

I thnk that they would have to extend his contract to first. He is a free agent after this season so he won't be eligible for the expansion draft.

Also what's with don cherry lol, all pissy because the leafs prioritized size/talent over where the kid comes from and then thinks the leafs should be spending 11-12 on stamkos lol he was tied for 24th in league scoring with Filip forsberg

Id pay whatever Stanps wants..Lou and Shanny should just ask him what he wants and write the damn cheque. He would be an amazing mentor for the 11 kids we just drafted plus the current kids we got a glimpse of in the last parts of the season.

Most guys that get signed for that amount of money are already on a winning team. Hard for a team to fork our that kind of cash when they don't really know what they have as a team. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see him on the Leafs, but...........

If they could get him at 9 mill a year that's the limit on what he's worth in my opinion, with 2-3 years on a lot of these young guys entry level contracts you can afford it, plus with lupul, robidas, greening, laich, michalek all on deals that still run a year or 2 and are all very unlikely to stick on this team after their deals are up I'm sure they could ditch the contracts somewhere, but you also have to realize stammer isn't getting any younger, and for what it's worth I'm happy with Babcock being a mentor to the guys they are going to need to lean on in the future

Edmonton is the poster child for a what happens when you stack a team with 19 year old stars...absolutely nothing. It doesn't have to be Stamkos but there has to be someone with leadership and mentoring qualities. Remember when the Pens signed Gary Roberts way back?