Georgian Bay Muskies

lpmaure

many years ago I used to troll big flatfish on Gbay, one black with silver fleck and one orange and black dots, the catch ratio was something like 7-1 for the black one. the orange one just didn't work for me. I have never fished the moon river, but I'd try around shoals and drop offs, maybe at the ends of channels. One area of Georgian bay where people ice fish for walleye there is a few musky hanging around , I fish that area all summer. Good luck and make a report when you come back

This is Bull

hate to say it but GB muskies are like fishing for ghosts, you might sight 1 or 2 in your life.

Ive been fishing GB for 10 years and have only seen one musky, and it wasnt me or anyone in my boat catching it.

Not to mention ive been fishing big pike tossing musky baits for 2 years and put way more than 40 hours in and havent even seen a fish ever.

.........I've caught 6-7 nice size muskies outta Georgian Bay and I don't fish them constantly

.........I've caught 6-7 nice size muskies outta Georgian Bay and I don't fish them constantly

are you fishing moon river?

Im just saying from personal experience, I fish GB 25+ out of 52 weeks in a year and still have only ever seen one musky.

meanwhile ive fished lower buckhorn 5 times in my entire life and caught a small musky.

GB to me is not a place to go to target musky unless you plan on putting in a lot of hours and knowing exactly what you are doing.

Edited by AKRISONER

GB to me is not a place to go to target musky unless you plan on putting in a lot of hours and knowing exactly what you are doing.

Nobody said it was easy and it does take time to figure out large bodies of water, but the fish are there and huge ones too. Maybe get yourself a guide to show you the ropes and help you figure a pattern.

As for Lower Buck, or any of the Kawarthas for that matter, the muskies are a dime a dozen and generally very easy to catch with multiple fish daily a regular occurance.

Im just saying from personal experience, I fish GB 25+ out of 52 weeks in a year and still have only ever seen one musky.

meanwhile ive fished lower buckhorn 5 times in my entire life and caught a small musky.

In my experience people who have spent a long time fishing for musky without making contact with them, especially in the Kawartha, is a result of not fishing close enough to structure. Banging your trolling motor against rocks, stumps, etc, is a common place and is why black paint was invented.

....nope just up the road from your camp,, in Britt..I also fish 200 days a year sometimes,, after walleye I target Muskie all late summer and fall....there defiantly there ..not easy to catch but there generally in the 45-50 inch range if your lucky enough to find em...I've been your way for walleye and worked out on the rocks for many yrs down there ..I've trolled shawanga bay for Muskie sturgeon bay as well no success it is very frustrating Edited by North East Shark

GBay is for the REALLY dedicated musky fisherman in my opinion. The guy who has caught maybe 500+ muskies already and is seeking a true giant or the next possible world record, rather than just another 42 incher. Since I am still well below 500, I still really enjoy a 42 incher! Crap even a 38 gets me somewhat interested. I hope someday I have more time to fish and caught enough decent fish to change gears and to really seek out that giant. In the meantime though, I want to catch fish so that means the Kawarthas or St. Clair for me.

Thanks for those maps and all the other suggestions and comments. I believe you when you say it's tough musky fishing there, so every bit of info helps. I finally got the 4" Rapala and yellow raincoat teaser - - make like Ken O'brien. I'll agree it's more of a crap shoot than a science. So we must make our own luck.

Looking forward to your post. I have tried twice there now, and come up empty - of pretty much anything. But it was most likely due to time of year (October long weekend), cold fronts, and turnover. The one year I was really excited as the weather had been good, water temperature took a massive dive over night, which turned everything off (I did have a Pike follow but that was about it).

Having said that - I probably had a Muskie strke in the Bay before Captain Allen's Strait. Something hit, but I thought it was a snag, or a weed. When I pulled in 1.5 inches of the plastic tail I was running was missing - sliced off. Going to guess it was a Muskie that attacked and missed.

I fished Pointe Au Baril from 63-64 to 88-89, it was rare to see someone in camp with a Muskie, but always worth a look when someone did manage to land one! Some huge fish!

We never caught a small one, and never managed to land a big one! We got to see ours as they swam away! Totally unprepared! LOL I have hooked them there that I was pretty certain would have been 50 or over. Like trying to stop a torpedo on bass tackle.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3571995

http://www.tripadvisor.co.za/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g2457799-d6002304-i89530062-Rock_Pine_Resort_Cottages-Pointe_au_Baril_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

google pointe au baril muskie pictures or moon river muskie pictures, they still seem to be around?

OK I'm packing for my Musky trip to Moon River next week. When I get back I'll post a report and pictures of any muskies caught.

I'll leave you folks with another question though. A lot of replies talked about throwing big baits for muskies, yet the Ontario record was caught on a small Rapala. And that's not the only instance I've seen of bass and walleye size lures catching huge muskies. So my question for you to mull over while I'm gone is, "Must you use big lures to catch big fish?"

When we haven't caught a fish all day, my brother and I often comment to each other while chucking oversize muskie lures, "If you're not catching anything, you might as well not be catching anything big!"

We have Muskies here in Ohio, and I have fished in PA, NY, and Ontario waters that had Muskies, do you need to use big lures? Probably not, if you are targeting other species, I have hooked them on 1/8th ounce spinners baits, jig and pig, and various other bass lures, it never went well.

Every couple of years here you hear of someone catching one on a worm, it is the exception rather than the rule?

lol, I will clear my name very quickly. I caught it in a canoe, didn't feel safe trying to hold it and take a pic in the canoe, and had to get a pic. So i tied it up paddle to the closest dock 30 -40 yards away. Got out took my pictures, got it in the water revived it for a while, and off she swam.

Edited by Cloudy15

if a CO saw you pulling that fish around on a stringer and that is GB, you'd be charged with possession of an illegal fish as it's below the 54" size limit.

just FYI.

Edited by Raf