Georgian Bay Muskies

lpmaure

Look forward to hunting muskies this September in the Moon River area of Georgian Bay. I'd appreciate any tips on lures and colors for muskie fishing in this area, as well as any other advice for fishers new to the area.

Are you new to Muskie fishing or new to Muskie Fishing in the Moon River basin?

The reason I ask is that Muskie fishing is a very special part of this sport and a resource that needs to be protected through proper catch and release methods.

There's lots of info online on this and as far as what to use exactly, its impossible to say. They are the fish of 10,000 casts and most hard-core muskie fisherman use many different techniques.

If I knew what your experience level is, what kind of equipment you use, etc. I'd could be of more assistance.

Cheers!

I've been fishing for muskies for several years in both Canada and the USA. My personal best stands at 48" caught in the Kawartha Lakes. I fished in the Moon River for muskies a long time ago, probably 10 years or more, and caught just about everything that swims there except a musky. Overall, I think Canada has the best fishing waters in the world, for variety of species and scenery. I'm strictly catch and release and prefer to cast rather than troll. My brother owns a bait and tackle shop in Pennsylvania, so I'm usually well equipped when I go fishing.

Being an optimist I'm sure there's hidden meaning somewhere in that reply.

Unlike the 2nd post of this thread, there is no sarcasm or hidden meaning...

Believe me, I've been there...lol For example, if you only have one MH musky rod w/50 pound test line, I may not recommend a Double 10 or a Pounder..

I think Gallie's idea of an introduction is perfect.

Spent a lot of time on the Moon River Basin. Toughest muskie fishing around IMO. But, they are in there. Try fishing Blackstone Harbour. There are resident fish there. Its not a large area, and there's a big reef right smack dab in the middle. Try big spinnerbaits in white. Caught my only muskie out of Blackstone on that.

Took a friend of mine there, told him how tough the fishing was, he caught a 43'er within 1/2 hr of our arrival LOL.

As for the rest of the area, get a good map because you can get lost. Or maybe its on a chip now? Been too long....

I think the stats are something like 40 hrs to catch a ski on the Bay.

But u have s chance at a monster.

This is Bull

hate to say it but GB muskies are like fishing for ghosts, you might sight 1 or 2 in your life.

Ive been fishing GB for 10 years and have only seen one musky, and it wasnt me or anyone in my boat catching it.

Not to mention ive been fishing big pike tossing musky baits for 2 years and put way more than 40 hours in and havent even seen a fish ever.

Edited by AKRISONER

This is Bull

hate to say it but GB muskies are like fishing for ghosts, you might sight 1 or 2 in your life.

Ive been fishing GB for 10 years and have only seen one musky, and it wasnt me or anyone in my boat catching it.

If your seriously fishing for GB muskies and only seeing 1 or 2 in a lifetime your doing it wrong.

On a side bar,All those Musky they put into Simcoe now 4-5 years,maybe 6 or more?correct me if I'm wrong.Were talking thousands.Word has it they could be up to 30" long by now?I have not seen or heard of one being caught accidentally,since they are not allowed still. Just saying,that in Simcoe they are hiding well,since I fish all south ends of the lake quite regularly I should of maybe seen one,or hooked one ?.

10 years of muskie stocking with some very negative results in the early years. Each 10 to 12 inch fingerling was implanted with a micro chip prior to release.Since 2007, the numbers stand at about 10,000 fingerlings in total reintroduced. Some of these if they survived, should be reaching maturity.

There have been incidental catches reported, but no verification (DNA or micro chip number taken) to substantiate if they are indeed from the restocking program.

This past spring several pairs of adult fish were caught in the MNRF traps while surveying for spawning walleye. These unfortunately were found to be Kawartha Strain muskies and not Georgian Bay strain and quite possibly may have migrated in from Balsam.

There are a number of volunteers actively looking for these mature fish to hopefully get DNA samples and numbers from the micro chips.

I am told that the Fleming Hatchery is at capacity (2 to 3 thousand healthy fingerlings) for release this fall. If you wish to adopt a muskie fingerling you can make a donation by visiting the MCI website.... Adopt A Muskie Program.

And now back to the original post about Moon River.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon