Outboard issue-Final update

mike rousseau

Hello

Had to get towed in today...

So... I was driving WOT smooth as can be then it seamed like my motor slowed down ever so slightly... Like 2-3 mph difference...

Shortly after I began to hear a knocking/clacking sound and an alarm went off...

I shut it down and called for a tow to avoid further damage...

The knocking/clacking sound seams to follow the RPMS as far as frequency goes...

The noise occurs in all 3 gears

I ran it on the muffs and removed 1 spark plug at a time and the noise remained constant...

I can't tell where it's coming from because it's resignating through the entire motor.... With the hood on it sounds like the lower end... With the hood off its louder so then it sounds like the engine...

A little reasearch says it could be a piston rod... Pop shaft bearing... As well as others...

My warranty expired yesterday....

Any input or expert advise would be very much appreciated....

2012 f50t Yamaha tiller 50hp 4 stroke

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Wouldn't a Canadian dealer honor the warranty? I know in automotive a new car's warranty is honored cross board. International companies, GM for example will honor their vehicles anywhere in the world that that model is sold.

Dan.

Get to dealer ASAP. If warranty just expired yesterday, you'd be foolish not to. Knocking and clanging are never good, and in this instance wether it's major or minor, the sooner you can get in the dealers door the better just in case

It's a major failure. You've got a better than average chance of coverage if the warranty just expired and you take steps immediately.

Could be a lot of things, not likely minor.

Did you check the lower unit oil for chunks, and did the plugs have any metal on them.

Yamaha doesn't have a cross border agreement it's at there discretion. That and bad parts supply keep lots from buying.

Edited by Garnet

check oil dipstick for bearing/metal debris, check lower unit for same, since noise didnt diminish with spark plug removal gonna guess bearing went bad in driveshaft ann caused a overheat when it took out water pump turning alarm on just guessing though

That sucks Mike! Doesnt souNd good! Im a true yammy fan, but these newer ones seem to be letting go too early with serious issues.

I have a 93 yammy built mariner that just keeps going. Ive been talking about upgrading for years and years now, but it just keeps going....lol

Good luck, and keep us posted on the results!

S.

Had similar thing happen to my 30 year old Johnson. The dealer basically said it's not worth repairing, so I upgraded to a new E-TEC and that baby came with a 7 year warranty........but that deal may have ended in March. However they usually offer a 5 year warranty at the end of the year (September) to clear out old inventory at the dealers. If you need a new outboard, think that one over. BTW my dealer dealt in Yammies and E-TEC so I had my choice. I REALLY love the new E-TEC's.

Edited by Mister G

Get to the original dealer. As said by others, Yammie doesn't cross border warranty, I found that out with my sled. Bought in Canada and no warranty in US..long srory.

Just get to the dealer and they will likely warranty...call now and tell them so the date is recorded if you can't get there right away.

Already called the dealer and they started a work order so I fall into warranty...

And I agree to bringbitvto the dealer...

I was just seeing if we could figure out the problem to make sure it's worth the $200-$300 I'll be spending in gas for 2 round trips and me burning 2 half days to do it...

If I knew what it was and it's under $500 to fix id jelust get it repaired locally

Thanks for all the input fellas...

I'm gunna drop the lower unit today then run it to see if it's in the lower unit or in the engine...

Also gunna pull the plugs and check lower unit oil

Already called... My dealer is a few hours away in NY State tho... Want to make sure it's not minor before towing across the boarder

Video is coming

Noise like that is anything but minor. Even if the dealer balks at providing warranty work, contact Yamaha directly. There's a very good chance they'll cover it.

Good luck and I hope you're not off the water very long. Best fishing of the year is right around the corner..

Bringing it tomorrow...

I dropped the lower unit and the sound was still there so I know it's top end...

Called the marina again and told them everything I could including that the sound is there with the lower unit removed and they basically said it'll be warranty as long as I "didn't run it dry on oil or something stupid"....