I passed!

mattyk

I just got news I passed my comprehensive exam. 3 full days of torture 8 hours per day of sitting in front of a computer, and in total 60 pages of writing about urban planning. I advanced to doctoral candidacy and now all thats left is to write a little thesis. Those fish better watch it now. :D

thanks for the kind words all. I do research with natural disasters and i want to focus on emergency rescue services and take a social justice equity perspective, ie do the poor get equal access to emergency services as the rich. This is where the fun begins.

WOW!! Congrats!! Urban Planning...so you head to an undeveloped area....look around...find out if any fish are there and if so then recommend leave it as is??? haha. Seriously...it's a great accomplishment...enjoy your summer before the "little" thesis comes up!!

thanks for the kind words all. I do research with natural disasters and i want to focus on emergency rescue services and take a social justice equity perspective, ie do the poor get equal access to emergency services as the rich. This is where the fun begins.

Great news. Now they can hire you as the new head of FEMA & we can actually have someone in charge that knows what the hell they're doing. :D

Matt, congratulations on moving a step closer to the finish line! As someone who was in your shoes not too long ago, I remember how stressful it was to go through the comp exam process--reading tons, studying tons, writing tons, and then fending off all these exam committee members picking on every minute detail of my answers. You've come a long way, but brace yourself as that "little" thesis can bring a lot of nasty suprises down the road. Mine was supposed to take a couple of years; I ended up spending nearly four years, and the little thesis turned into a 400-page tome, so dry and boring that even my wife couldn't get beyond the first few pages! But all that misery is to come later on; for now, enjoy your accomplishment as much as you can. Congrats once again!

Oh yeah, as someone else already said, start typing!