Wolves ate my dog

Rod Caster

Yeah, Im sure he got in a few strikes, Huskies are quite the fighters. I've seen him embarass a bull mastiff before!

How are the malamutes compared to siberians as far as character? They seem a little calmer but their size might come in handy around here.

Yeah, Im sure he got in a few strikes, Huskies are quite the fighters. I've seen him embarass a bull mastiff before!

How are the malamutes compared to siberians as far as character? They seem a little calmer but their size might come in handy around here.

Indeed get a malamute Chad. They are great hunters and super trainable, easy going dogs. They protect the property and family much more fearsly than a siberian.

My siberian will protect against animals but any stranger could walk right in and pet her.

Not my malamutes, they wait for an okay signal. If you walked in my house when im gone you better have a gun and good aim.

And for your property chad, two dogs are better than one.

Malamutes would have taken out the wolves no doubt in my mind.

My wife's cousin has been breeding Mals for 25 years. To me, they are over-grown lap dogs! LOL Sure, they will pull a sled all day, but majority of them that I have met, are lazy and would prefer a good nap, to any kind of aggression.

They may well be fighters, I just haven't experienced that.

That all said, sorry for your loss and maybe a Mal is the right dog for you... size alone might detract from an attack.

HH

My wife's cousin has been breeding Mals for 25 years. To me, they are over-grown lap dogs! LOL Sure, they will pull a sled all day, but majority of them that I have met, are lazy and would prefer a good nap, to any kind of aggression.

They may well be fighters, I just haven't experienced that.

That all said, sorry for your loss and maybe a Mal is the right dog for you... size alone might detract from an attack.

HH

They are like that when kept in the house.

Take em huntin and fishing right as pups(or up to about 1 year old) and they are gnarly tough, but still super gentle at home. Awesome awesome dogs.

Also Chad, when your ready of course, get females

And let them eat meat, they wanna hunt. Let them hunt.

Feed em fish leftovers deer etc

A good husky is well fed, and eats meat

Be prepared though, remember my badger thread?

When I say they hunt I really mean that. My older girl eats skunks. To them, if it moves its fair game. She even eats lampreys

Edited by manitoubass2

Sorry for you loss, its never easy losing a pet, and it's even tougher to predators

Some domestic dogs stand a good chance against a pair of single coyote or eastern wolves, but very few, even the largest, stand much chance against a pack. A pet is a permanent attractant to your residence, he will constantly attract them unless they have learned the reward is not worth the risk. I find a 40 grain sleeping pill from my trusty old 222 to be quite effective, but there are many other options out there ;)

if you want a real wolf dog, look into the various breeds of livestock guardian dogs, but working dogs are generally not great pets

Sorry for you loss, its never easy losing a pet, and it's even tougher to predators

Some domestic dogs stand a good chance against a pair of single coyote or eastern wolves, but very few, even the largest, stand much chance against a pack. A pet is a permanent attractant to your residence, he will constantly attract them unless they have learned the reward is not worth the risk. I find a 40 grain sleeping pill from my trusty old 222 to be quite effective, but there are many other options out there ;)

if you want a real wolf dog, look into the various breeds of livestock guardian dogs, but working dogs are generally not great pets

I totally disagree. Your opinion and thats great( your allowed that lol)

Malamutes will kill wolves, even packs.

I know because ive watched it for 12 years.

Most wolves wont even approach them. More often its the husky that initiates, and finishes, the fight

Malamutes will kill wolves, even packs.

Not trying to de-rail this thread but...do you mean one dog taking out a whole Wolf pack at once?? If that's the case that IS one tough dog. I mean wolves live 365 days a year in the wild and hunt/kill daily. They take down Moose and even Bison out west, which is the largest land animal in North America.

Sorry chad for your loss as well,that sucks big time. Having said that two Cane Corsos one female and one male ,no worries I would think.Read up on them,not cheap,great pets and will never lose a fight.Your probably not ready yet,but the best dog of many that I have had.Loyal to the bone.!!!.Again so sorry ! Maybe not a great hunting dog.

Edited by davey buoy

Not trying to de-rail this thread but...do you mean one dog taking out a whole Wolf pack at once?? If that's the case that IS one tough dog. I mean wolves live 365 days a year in the wild and hunt/kill daily. They take down Moose and even Bison out west, which is the largest land animal in North America.

Yep, they will kill small packs. Although, you can see the other side of the story as well.

An individual dog stands no chance at a bigger pack of wolves. But they go after one and sometimes two and take them down, the rest leave. Here the packs are usually only 4 deep, maybe 6

Happens all the time up up here, its pretty much a normal occurance

Edited by manitoubass2