Finally Fished Lake Erie - Video Clip

MrSimon

Nice video and great day on the water Mr Simon! Those big girls on light tackle are a blast. The Western Basin of Lake Erie is an absolute walleye factory and I'm very lucky to be a fairly short drive to some of the best fishing in the world so I go down that way every chance I get. If you ever get a chance to fish the area, make sure you do...it's a lot different than fishing the Northern lakes but a ton of fun.

It definitely was an amazing day, but there are still two things about it that kind of nag at me.

1) It was hard for me to swallow my catch and release attitude and watch all those nice fish go in the cooler. I'm certainly grateful and happy to now have a year's worth of fish in my freezer, but I couldn't help but cringe every time we tossed a giant walleye in the box. I know Erie is an amazing fish factory, but still. All those charter captains keeping up to eight limits day after day after day. That's got to impact the fishery.

2) Open water trolling is boring. I really enjoyed catching world class fish over and over, but it's still a boring way to fish. The charter captain rigged everything up and we just trolled along until one hit. He would take the rod out of the holder and hand it to me. Then I would just slowly crank away until he netted the fish. Plus, trolling rods and heavy line don't make for a great fight, especially when you are pulling in a planar board for half the fight. Not to mention the lake is boring as all get out. No islands to look at, no pretty pine trees along the shoreline, not rocky shores to explore. In short, it ain't Canada (well, I guess some of it is, but you know what I mean).

Again, I loved the experience .... but it truly PALES in comparison to catching a big Canadian smallmouth on six pound test .... or setting the hook on a heavy walleye and feeling it not move .... or having a big northern bump your spoon then come back and crush it.

one of my biggest pet peeves of trolling charters is the guides hook setting for you...hauling in a fish while trolling is like pulling up a clump of weeds, you dont even get to feel that initial kick.

Same goes for salmon charters etc...this is why when i troll on my own boat we run moochers.

It definitely was an amazing day, but there are still two things about it that kind of nag at me.

1) It was hard for me to swallow my catch and release attitude and watch all those nice fish go in the cooler. I'm certainly grateful and happy to now have a year's worth of fish in my freezer, but I couldn't help but cringe every time we tossed a giant walleye in the box. I know Erie is an amazing fish factory, but still. All those charter captains keeping up to eight limits day after day after day. That's got to impact the fishery.

2) Open water trolling is boring. I really enjoyed catching world class fish over and over, but it's still a boring way to fish. The charter captain rigged everything up and we just trolled along until one hit. He would take the rod out of the holder and hand it to me. Then I would just slowly crank away until he netted the fish. Plus, trolling rods and heavy line don't make for a great fight, especially when you are pulling in a planar board for half the fight. Not to mention the lake is boring as all get out. No islands to look at, no pretty pine trees along the shoreline, not rocky shores to explore. In short, it ain't Canada (well, I guess some of it is, but you know what I mean).

Again, I loved the experience .... but it truly PALES in comparison to catching a big Canadian smallmouth on six pound test .... or setting the hook on a heavy walleye and feeling it not move .... or having a big northern bump your spoon then come back and crush it.

Did he make you bonk the big walleye? I mean it was your charter, your fish, your money, couldn't you release them if you had liked?

Believe me, the charters taking limits is a drop in the bucket compared to the tons of commercial fish caught daily, yet erie continues to thrive.

Mr. Simon I agree almost 100% but I do like Lake Erie on those hot hazy days with a slow 2 foot rollers drifting a work harness. Not getting to many of those day this year....Grrrrrr

I gave up that kind of trolling about 10 years ago because it's not fishing, it's harvesting the fish. And I still do quite well just drifting around with my 5/8 oz walking sinker followed by my killer worm harness.

1. You could have released them

2. You were smiling ear to ear the whole video...didn't look bored to me

I agree trolling can be boring to a certain degree, especially if your on a charter and you have no responsibility but to reel in fish. But if you went out on your own and had to figure out where the fish are and what lure they wanted that day, what speed to go at, what depth etc...there is alot to think about and when you get it all to come together its anything but boring to start smashing fish that you worked hard to figure out.

Don't get me wrong ... I liked my charter captain a lot. Great guy, knew his business, and I'd totally recommend him to anyone looking to fish Erie. And I did have an absolute great time!

I just don't think I'd go out of my way to do that style of fishing again.

It looks like fun fishing for pics if thats your thing.

I love trolling, ive never been on a charter so i cant comment on that but im pretty busy during a day of salmon fishing. Between looking for temps locating fish and bait selecting the right gear at the right depth and keeping 6 lines down tangle free i do not find it boring at all, not to mention trying to dial in a speed on the kicker and frankly i need a break! Thats why there is 3 of us lol.

Point being, its not for everyone but its a lot different on your own.

I'm sure you'd find it a little less boring if you were the one putting in all the leg work patterning the fish. Regardless that looks like a blast. I wouldn't worry about taking a couple fish home, since most of the walleye in your local grocery store are from Erie

Paul he was fishing out of the Brown town so it should look a little familiar to ya lol.

LOL, thanks pal! I had to do a double take of the video to realize I was getting old and senile! There should have been more sheephead in the pics then? LOL

Hope you are well! Obviously I am not! LOL

Don't people jig Erie?

I mean the walleye are there…why not jig for them?

I went out on erie a few years back and I'm not bothered if I ever go trolling again to be honest, I agree with Mr. Simon 100% about that style of fishing.

Fantastic video too, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don't people jig Erie?

I mean the walleye are therewhy not jig for them?

I went out on erie a few years back and I'm not bothered if I ever go trolling again to be honest, I agree with Mr. Simon 100% about that style of fishing.

Fantastic video too, thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are northerners. We dont troll simon, we jig, or cast?

I fish Erie a lot due to being close to home. I do agree with MrSimon it can be boring due to the lack of scenery. I also love the scenery of the smaller northern lakes. But when I tie into a 7 or 8 pounder on Erie it is a thrill. Most times my hands are shaking with a large adrenaline rush!

It's pretty unusual to see people jigging for walleye on this side of the lake, although it has been a long time since I have been able to fish and that may have changed. Jigging, lift and drift for smallies? another story.

Cleveland area, central basin, the water tends to be deeper than the western basin and the walleye fishing usually is for suspended fish in deeper water 20-30-40 feet down, sometimes in 50-60-70 feet of water.

One of my younger brothers was a lot more into walleye fishing on Lake Erie than I was, and he told me that at times they went 10-15 miles from shore to find them. I have no idea how far Mr Simon went out from shore. It always struck me as wandering in a liquid desert dragging a lure. Downriggers, dipseys, and no scenery except waves and water.

In the late fall they can catch walleye off the piers at times casting rattletrap style lures, it is rare in the summer months? Some charter captains on this side were known to move their base of operations as the summer progressed. Western - Central - Eastern, following the walleyes tendency to suspend over deeper water as the water temps rose.

Casting Erie Dearies, long lining crankbaits and spoons was most common in the western basin island region, shallower water. Like with the Bay of Quinte? Some areas here are known as pig walleye heavens for the late fall feed.

The charter captain told me that in the Spring the eyes stack up around the islands and other parts of the Western Basin. People often jig for them during that period and do very well. He likes to use big hair jigs.

Then, as the water warms, the fish move out to the Central and Eastern basins to suspend in deep water and follow the bait. Then they start to move back West in the Fall.

Pretty much just like Ohiofisherman said.

We were maybe seven miles out of Vermilion and we were catching fish about 20' down over 40' of water. The school of walleye we were on was at least a few miles across in each direction. There were a lot of boats following that school, but not all that many were catching fish. Even though I'm not a huge fan of trolling like that, there are a lot of small variables that you have to get just right to catch fish. Boat speed, weight size, leader length, depth control, lure/color choice etc.

When I was calling around to different charter captains, I was amazed that none of them would run bass charters. When I mentioned it you would have thought I asked them to clean toilets at a truck stop.

Vermilion? No wonder it looked familiar! It was my favorite starting point! Pig smallies and some steelhead in the fall.

Again things may have changed, western basin? Bass Charters, usually involved fishing with crawfish, a pricey item and you could spend a lot of time feeding sheephead, done it myself. Smallie fishing in Vermillion? You have to be dedicated, you might fish an area over an over for 4-5 hours and get dinks, and then have the pigs move in for 15-30 minutes of non stop action, and then disappear. Probably not what most customers on a charter are looking for? That area became known for big smallies fast, I can imagine the fishing pressure on them now, even with catch and release. Overall it's probably easier to put people on walleyes?

The two main areas known for the walleye run on this side of the lake are the Sandusky river and the Maumee river, both in the western basin and both with good sized estuaries to support and protect young fish. Sandusky river is at the end of Sandusky bay, a staging area for pre spawn fish, and recovery area post spawn. It's big, and would be one of the largest inland bodies of water in Ohio if it were landlocked.

It's not, a good thing, it serves as a spring breeding ground for a number of fish species, walleye, smallies, largemouth, white bass, crappie, and even an occasional Northern Pike.

Right off hand I can't recall any river east of the Sandusky river that has been mentioned for a walleye run here in Ohio.

Trolled off Nanticoke this morning for about 4 hours. Not really busy but we harvested 4 walleye over 8 lbs and lost a couple of rainbows due their ability to fly and toss hooks. The fishing is far better in the West end of the lake but Nanticoke is only a few minutes in the truck and 5 miles in the boat to fish so it's a nice quick trip. We weren't bored at all running 6 rods.

IMG_20150712_093257_zpsux49im5z.jpg

IMG_20150712_125252_zpshu29bmlk.jpg

Edited by G.mech