Worm harness

Hansuld71

I also have made my own for over 30 years and here what REALLY works on Lake Erie for walleye..

WAIT FOR IT....WAIT...WAIT...LOL

But really just a #4 Colorado blade with FIVE orange beads followed by 2 hooks.....I don't even bother with anything else when BOTTOM BOUNCING this rig in Lake Erie.......now I did use many other combinations when I use to run worm harness for suspended walleyes but no longer fish that way because it more work then fun and it's what I consider "Harvesting" rather then "FISHING"..

I carry multiples of maybe 6 blade colours. It covers almost anything I want to do. I run with Chartreuse, silver, gold, purple, orange, and a bronze type. . With the exception of silver and gold, most of the other blades are half and half with a bit of black, or some other colour. I have maybe 12-18 harnesses in the boat, and most are duplicates of good producers. I've found I can catch fish anywhere with these colours and a mix of different beads. I carry some spare beads and blades and hooks in the boat as harnesses will get beat up after a while. They are really easy to retie. I've seen guys go nuts with dozens of harnesses in a bizarre array of colours. but really probably 4 patterns would cover all your bases. Anything with chartreuse/black, silver, purple, and a bronze/black blade would do the job almost anywhere. It's like husky jerks, you only need 4 colours in a size 12 to catch anything that swims!

Some I make with 2 Colorado #3 or 4 blades a few beads in between and some just a number 5 Indiana blade with a few small beads and that's all don't usually ever use willow blades just Colorado & Indiana and for beads # 5& 6 also I use interchangeable clevis so I can change blades on the fly !!!! Have been making them for over 40yrs learned from my grandfather when I was a young boy !!!! They are the most versatile bait there is and will pretty much catch everything !!! And all my personal biggest muskies have all come from trolling harnesses weather on a bouncer or off a board or just flatline trolling even cast into current and reeled in can't beat them that's for sure !!!! Lol ....and it's easy to work one and easy & fairly cheap to make your own too !!! Even a few of my biggest bass & pike have all come from harnesses like I said earlier in a post I even caught a lake trout this spring opener in Haliburton trolling a harness for walleye a decent 4lb trout too !!!! Lol ....not many species of fish will turn down a nicely presented dew worm on a spinner !!!! Is a dead wringer folks !!!!!

My go to harness is always perch colored. If it isn't producing - which is rare - I'll switch to chartreuse or purple n black. Purple n black is especially good when the water is calm. Perch color is better with a slight chop on the water.

bronze, silver, gold, with bronze as my favourite with red beads. The olympics of pickerel fishing lol. Usually with single hooks and half a worm. Other colours tend to get hit by pesky pike and bass too often, with the best pike and bass colours usually being chartreuse or fire tiger.

Edited by netminder

If your not casting harnesses your missing out on a great technique for alot of species! I catch tonnes of crappie, walleye, pike and bass casting shorelines where trolling isnt an option.

Here is what I use. The snap sinker on the right. And i make alot of my own harnesses but this brand is top notch.

20150709_120927_zpspep6cra4.jpg

I dont like the harnesses too long for casting so I usually trim them down to about 14" and retie the barrel swivel.

Also, these are deadly spinners for pike

20150709_120957_zpsftet4b7p.jpg

No need for a leader, just a weight like I posted in the first pic and youll rarely get bit off

Edited by manitoubass2

If your not casting harnesses your missing out on a great technique for alot of species! I catch tonnes of crappie, walleye, pike and bass casting shorelines where trolling isnt an option.

There's this too. It opens up a whole new world when trolling an area isn't an option.

I bought my first worm harness a couple months ago. I've tried it a few times and haven't had much success. What is the correct way to fish it? I was trolling it behind the boat.

I tried some weights to get it lower in the water column. Thanks Manitoubass for posting that weight, looks like it would be better to use.

What is the correct way to rig the worm, any other tips or tricks?

Thanks

I rarely use worms myself.

One hook rig with 2-4" berkley powerbait minnows(depending on species)

You can troll them of course but I like casting.

Cast at your target, let it sink, then just retrieve(speed depends on fish activity)

I like to cut my harnesses shorter, about 14" or so(just to cast accurately)

If inm using a two hook worm harness im definitely trolling it in the outside of weed edges, drop offs or circling reefs

Edited by manitoubass2