Worm harness

Hansuld71

If you intend to troll, the easiest possible way you can use a worm harness is to use a 1-2 ounce bottom bouncer. It takes almost all the guess work out, even my kids know how to use them. 0-15 foot, use a 1 ounce bb. 15 foot plus, use a 2 oz. Drop harness and BB until you feel it hit bottom. Let your troll pull the rig up off bottom. Then let out anothe foot or so. If you feel if dragging or being in constant contact, reel it up a foot or so. Troll at 1-1.5mph. If there are pickerel present, you'll eventually catch some.

Edited by porkpie

If you intend to troll, the easiest possible way you can use a worm harness is to use a 1-2 ounce bottom bouncer. It takes almost all the guess work out, even my kids know how to use them. 0-15 foot, use a 1 ounce bb. 15 foot plus, use a 2 oz. Drop harness and BB until you feel it hit bottom. Let your troll pull the rig up off bottom. Then let out anothe foot or so. If you feel if dragging or being in constant contact, reel it up a foot or so. Troll at 1-1.5mph. If there are pickerel present, you'll eventually catch some.

If you fish current you'll need more weight...

I usually run 3-5 oz when trolling spinners... 4oz 99% of the time

I'm not too picky with my harnesses most of the time. In clear water I will stick with smaller Colorado blades and a more neutral colour, and in dark waters I like willow blades and bright colours with more beads and floaters. A good presentation is far and away the most important factor in my opinion. Most of my 'harness' fishing is a couple beads and a small Colorado blade and a couple shot for creek specks lol. Also a deadly tactic for inland bows trolled across the middle of the lake right on top!

If you fish current you'll need more weight...

I usually run 3-5 oz when trolling spinners... 4oz 99% of the time

YES, Mikey is correct but if no current you don't need a lot of weight unless you must stay close to da boat along a weed edge.

I fish a lot of Lake Erie walleye and I RARELY use more then 5/8 oz of weight in 40 - 60' of water using 8# line.....I just let out more line to get near da bottom.

Different strokes for different waters.

I like the brass and silver Colorado blades and if that's not working I go to perch coloured (fire tiger) blades. Orange blades work well for me in colder water. I use the quick change clevise as well but I rarely bother to change the blades.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer making my worm harnesses. That way I can use the best quality equipment. I make my harnesses with usually 1 Colorado spinner, a couple of beads in front of the spinner and 4 or 5 beads behind the spinner. I use rather heavy stiff mono and tiny metal beads in front and behind the clevis. I then add a swivel. I add 2 or 3 hooks snelled on 8 lb Trilene Sensation with a length of line in front of the 2 or 3 hook combo so that I can adjust the length of line between the spinner(s) and the bait. No bass where I live. I use my worm harnesses for walleye. I dislike fishing with bottom bouncers because I find that it's too heavy but if the walleye want them, I have no choice but to use them. I found the dandiest beads in the sewing department at Walmart's. They light up like walleye eyes when light deflects on them. I bought all that the store had on hand. I made a bunch of harnesses and gave most of them away. I still kept a few for myself and will be making more this coming winter.

Edited by Dabluz

There really is no end to how funky you can make a harness !!! I used to get beads in micheals craft store too lots of different colors & even glow in the dark beads & blades I also used to paint blades & use nail polish with sparkles it goes on & on !!!! It's a great thing to know that everyone if my harnesses are a 1 of a kind !!!! I used to make hundreds & hundreds of them and sell them and that would always pay for me to re-stock plus make plenty enough for me to fish with them at no cost !!!!! Like I said before there is not much you cannot catch with them ....

Depends on the depth. Stained shallow like BOQ, green or orange. Lake Erie 40 ft, large bladed purple. There is a color chart out there that shows what colors tend to fade away depending on the depth.

I think it is more on the shape of the blade and what vibration it kicks out when fishing deep.

Regards