what do you carry for first aid / survival / etc

2 tone z71

the older I get and the farther I seem to wonder offshore the more I start to worry..ive recently invested in a first aid kit from crappy tire for starters..was wondering what type of things/stuff you fellas are carrying for safety etc

If I go in the deep bush I usually bring a deck of cards. If I get lost I just start playing Solitaire, somebody is bound to come up behind me and tell me " That card goes there" then I just pack up and follow him out!!

Definitely a compass

When fishing out on the big lakes I carry a compass, flares (whether required by law or not), handheld VHF, whistle, flashlight all in a waterproof 'ditch kit' that can be grabbed quick if needed. On board we have a first aid kit, VHF with DSC, and all other required gear.

The reality is that if you are a couple of miles off shore, make sure you have real life jackets, complete with whistles and a cyalum light attached. That will be more important than anything else you can carry. I've never had an unfortunate incident, but had my heart in my throat a few times. All accounts I've read from mishaps, people have found themselves in the water pretty quick. I run with real adult life jackets (with the goofy kids collars) on the seat backs. They have a whistle and a cyalum light. If I'm on my own on a great lake, I wear one, If I'm on an inland lake, I wear my inflatable PFD. I carry a charged cell phone in a waterproof (I hope) case in my pocket, and I keep a water resistant portable VHF at hand. I'm thinking about a ditch bag, but I'm guessing it would be mostly useless in an emergency any distance from shore, unless it contained a handheld VHF. I always carry a pocket knife when fishing anyway, so don't need that, and I can't figure what I'd do with much else If I was floating around in the water offshore, other than wanting a means to call for help and give location. Probably a small water resistant GPS so I could give an approximate location. I do keep a couple of short lengths of ropes with light carabiners attached. Sounds silly, but I fish with my kids a fair bit, and have a horrible vision of ending up in the water with them and losing one of them in rough weather. I figure at least I could daisy chain us together. Anyway, interested to hear other responses. Compass is a good idea, probably will get a couple and put them on the life jackets although I keep one in the boat.

Edited by porkpie

When fishing out on the big lakes I carry a compass, flares (whether required by law or not), handheld VHF, whistle, flashlight all in a waterproof 'ditch kit' that can be grabbed quick if needed. On board we have a first aid kit, VHF with DSC, and all other required gear.

. How does that handheld VHF work for ya ? Good signal ?

The reality is that if you are a couple of miles off shore, make sure you have real life jackets, complete with whistles and a cyalum light attached. That will be more important than anything else you can carry. I've never had an unfortunate incident, but had my heart in my throat a few times. All accounts I've read from mishaps, people have found themselves in the water pretty quick. I run with real adult life jackets (with the goofy kids collars) on the seat backs. They have a whistle and a cyalum light. If I'm on my own on a great lake, I wear one, If I'm on an inland lake, I wear my inflatable PFD. I carry a charged cell phone in a waterproof (I hope) case in my pocket, and I keep a water resistant portable VHF at hand. I'm thinking about a ditch bag, but I'm guessing it would be mostly useless in an emergency any distance from shore, unless it contained a handheld VHF. I always carry a pocket knife when fishing anyway, so don't need that, and I can't figure what I'd do with much else If I was floating around in the water offshore, other than wanting a means to call for help and give location. Probably a small water resistant GPS so I could give an approximate location. I do keep a couple of short lengths of ropes with light carabiners attached. Sounds silly, but I fish with my kids a fair bit, and have a horrible vision of ending up in the water with them and losing one of them in rough weather. I figure at least I could daisy chain us together. Anyway, interested to hear other responses. Compass is a good idea, probably will get a couple and put them on the life jackets although I keep one in the boat.

. Great ideas ..I'm building the ditch kit that's why I created this topic ..the handheld VHF has my attention as well as compass ..my floater suit is always in the boat

Just went thru my First Aid kit last week. It's a small case, maybe 12 X 8 inches. Pulled out a tensor and some prepackaged saline soaked guaze to add some extra skin glues, 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 Prolene sutures, 10cc syringes, fine 27 guaze 1 1/2 inch needles, and a half dozen amps of Lidocaine 1%. There's some bandages, antiseptics and other things in there as well, but the only times I've opened the kit is to pull out the freezing, inject the sorry angler who got a hook in them or laceration, clean and then sew 'em up.

Carry plenty of other things too. Like extra flashlights, (headlamp) lighters, tools and knife, Long trips a small tarp, blanket, plenty rope and spare prop.

. How does that handheld VHF work for ya ? Good signal ?

Boat to boat the range isn't great but they will reach the Coast Guard Tower in most cases on the great lakes. Many of the new ones are 6 Watts now and some even have built in GPS with DSC for even better range and automatic distress transmission of your position. Maybe it's overkill but if you ever find you need it, I think you'd be happy to have one.

This model is full featured for under 200 bucks:

http://radioworld.ca/m92d-p-10678.html

Where does one buy lidocaine? There's been a few times it would have been handy.

Any pharmacy carries it.

And another good thing to bring on a trip is codeine(although I hate saying that)

If you get stranded and sprain an ankle or break a bone it would sure help.

Also if you cant get a clean water source or suffer dehydrating diarhhea codeine will help lesson the severity

Im talking the mild stuff, tylenol 1's sold over the counter