what do you carry for first aid / survival / etc

2 tone z71

So true some people in the rest of the country may not understand once u leave our boat ramp it could be multiple hours before u see ANYTHING else, no cottages or towns around the bend, last year the coast guard honestly had to ask a boater what direction to go to go for a call for assistance, they were in a zodiac, I would go with the St Bernard and rum

I got stuck on an island for a week without supplies.

Ill never do it again.

Crap happens, be prepared.

Glad I survived and glad I had no kids with me

And get a lifestraw. Just because your near water doesnt mean you can drink it without serious consenquences

Edited by manitoubass2

GET A VHF.. and link it in with the GPS..

The day you need it,, the Cell phone will blink low battery, Get no service or get wet and stop working.

oh and duck tape

(fix a cut finger, fix a leaky hose, fix a .... everything..)

Edited by LeXXington

Your kit requirements kind of depend on whether you plan to abandon ship 10 miles offshore in one of the great lakes or get marooned on an island in an isolated Northern lake when your motor quits. A VHF is no good up North and a bag of munchies is relatively useless drifting half way between Rochester and Port Credit. In either case, the Marley Herb sounds like a must have but keep it in a good zip lok....

My Garmin GPS, whistle,butane fire lighter,compass,bug suit,rubber boots,hard salami &crackers in a ziplock bag,rain gear all in one waterproof carry on. This stays in the boat for the week........by the way..........it has come in handy on one occasion.

I'm at the age now where a satellite phone would be a welcome addition to my emergency bag.

I'm at the age now where a satellite phone would be a welcome addition to my emergency bag.

Rather than a sat phone I would try 1 of these:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

My fishing buddy has 1. You don't seem to have to wait for a sat to pass overhead anywhere near as long as you would with a sat phone. Apart from the 911 feature, it can be used to re-assure the worriers at home that you are OK via texting. On a trip up North out of cell phone reach my buddy used it to send msgs to his wife and our base camp.

i fish with rentals so usually small boats. it can get big out there real quick, and usually the reality would be a prop knock or engine failure that causes you to spend the night paddling or camping if you are down the lake.

i just carry a slightly better backup of what the rental boat kit is, with some extra items. i got this new Maxpedition bag to make it something that can just go into my tackle bag.

Now in a Maxpedition Bottle Bag, in a stainless Nalgene bottle, I've got a solar blanket, 20 aquatabs, bandana, 50ft paracord, swedish fire steel and a lighter. In the little pocket, my Leatherman multitool, powerful flashlight, loud whistle, could probably add a small flare or 3. I've got some floating rope in my tackle bag too.

Would be easy enough to fill the Nalgene with water and jam some things into the bag or pocket if I wanted to use it for extra water, but I usually use another water bottle on the boat.

Just seemed like it would be good to make sure I had something to stay on the boat, as we often shore lunch randomly or fish all day off and on and may have left some gear at camp having just planned to go out for an hour and end up out for 4 hours and low on fuel.