Workin' Down @ The Lake

16 footer and or drifter, im moving into a new place that will have this type of roofing.

How does it sound? Is there a specific sound barrier?

http://www.westmansteel.ca/technical/faqs/#faq-15

Is it noisy when it rains?

Steel roofing not only provides strength, but also when coupled with high build finishes, absorbs and deadens much of the noise (when applied direct to the deck). With the home insulation standards of today, you should not notice any difference in noise levels between roofing materials.

If the roof was strapped under the metal then you may get some drumming noise in a heavy rain. I placed my steel roof on top of the 1/2 plywood with a water proof wrap paper between, same noise as regular shingles.

I even used same steel as siding but different colour. Easy to install, last long time, same cost or less than vertical vinyl siding.

Yellowknife is classified as a "semi arid climate" so it hardly rains there...no worries about noise.

If it rains you actually may want to know :santa:

And Dave, don't skip the membrane between the steel sheets and roof deck...thats a very important item

Edited by Dara

Yellowknife is classified as a "semi arid climate" so it hardly rains there...no worries about noise.

If it rains you actually may want to know :santa:

And Dave, don't skip the membrane between the steel sheets and roof deck...thats a very important item

I spent good $$$$$ on the synthetic stuff. ;)

13913925_1501068166586184_71066892875864

FYI, it rained something fierce one day last summer.

First time in ten years up here that I have seen an actual super cell T-storm.

Complete with hail!!! :w00t:

Had a slight issue with the snowmobile trailer this morning so no materials were moved today. :(

Got a few K's outside of town and had a bearing failure. Nursed the ole trailer back to the house without the wheel falling off though. :good: :good:

Was gonna fix up the hub with a little JB weld, but decided to replace it. :whistling:

She's all back together and ready for next weekend now. :clapping:

17426328_1850031941689803_82556613668522

17499164_1850031951689802_68742932332820

Lucky you were able to get back by the looks of that last photo!

Dave

You are the most maintenance conscious person I know, based on your many posts. If that bearing issue crept up on you, it can/will do the same to the rest of us.

Now that the snowmobile season is just about ended here in Ontario, and the boating season is set to begin, maybe this event will make us all take a look at servicing a very important part of our sport. Winter and summer.

Lucky you were able to get back by the looks of that last photo!

Dave

You are the most maintenance conscious person I know, based on your many posts. If that bearing issue crept up on you, it can/will do the same to the rest of us.

Now that the snowmobile season is just about ended here in Ontario, and the boating season is set to begin, maybe this event will make us all take a look at servicing a very important part of our sport. Winter and summer.

I wish it crapped out @ the cabin.

That way I could unload my siding and then load my sled and sled trailer on the car trailer for the ride home. :D

It bugs me I couldn't get my delivery done.

Hopefully the ice and shorelines hold until mid April.

Temps are going to be above normal for the next couple of weeks though. :(

I have 3 more loads to get out there.

Spent the last couple of days catching up after last weekends issues.

Had more siding on the trailer than I thought. There was about 7,500#'s worth on that load.

Took longer than it should have but the temps warmed up a bunch and the trail was mushy so I could only take 240#'s per run.

Reloading the trailer tomorrow with the last of my roofing and another 3,000#'s of siding.

That will bring my total for the year after this weekend @ 17,000#'s!!!

Hopefully get one more load in next weekend and I'll be done until ice out.

Time to ready the boat!!!!! :D

17554442_1857753574250973_87424040701316

17757628_1857753570917640_69864594651193

17499209_1857753567584307_36555144274101

Dave, just out of idle curiosity, when they make the ice road, could you not have driven your truck and trailer out to the camp, instead of hauling loads by snow machine? I understand at the shoulder times, early and late ice, the road can't take a full load, but I thought you should be able to take the truck and trailer out during the peak weeks?

Doug

Dave, just out of idle curiosity, when they make the ice road, could you not have driven your truck and trailer out to the camp, instead of hauling loads by snow machine? I understand at the shoulder times, early and late ice, the road can't take a full load, but I thought you should be able to take the truck and trailer out during the peak weeks?

Doug

I take the load to within 1/2km of the cabin (the road runs up the middle of my bay) and I sled from the ice road to the cabin.

My cabin is at the North end of the lake 14kms from the access.

Light blue line is the ice road and red X is my cabin.

PS plenty of ice as it's over 4 feet thick. :D

Capture_zps386bsmmc.jpg

Even if I could park right at the shore I would still have to sled it up to the cabin.

It's 200' back from the water and gains over 100' of elevation.

I've carried to much heavy crap up that hill in summer.

Not gonna do it in the winter. ;)

13872818_1502887213070946_45520879063854

Edited by DRIFTER_016

• 1 month later...
Ice is starting to thin out quite a bit.

This was shot today. Plane is at the North end of the lake Looking South.

2 big sheets of ice hugging the West side of the main basin and a sheet of rotten ice in my bay @ the North end of the lake.

If you look on the right side of the North bay just NE of the little lake on the point you'll see a little white dot.

That's my cabin!!!! :D

18815007_1961591360533860_80375661624732

How long you figure before yo get back up to the cabin ?

I see you bought the Hardie board planks for the exterior ... is that the cement and fibre board ? Ive read that is a great product but expensive. We ended up using Maibec for ours.

Seriously Dave... I think about some of the large projects I'd like to do here at home...extend the garage, deepen and finish the crawl space...and I just can't bring myself to undertake such a big task. AND THERE'S A RONA 3 MINUTES AWAY!!! I see what you're doing and the work to just GET the materials there and I'm embarrassed. Hat's off to you pal. I should take some of the money I'm NOT spending on building materials and buy a ticket to NWT to work on your cabin! LOL

How long you figure before yo get back up to the cabin ?

I see you bought the Hardie board planks for the exterior ... is that the cement and fibre board ? Ive read that is a great product but expensive. We ended up using Maibec for ours.

Yes, Hardie is cement fiberboard siding.

Each 12' X 8 3/4" piece weighs about 30#'s.

I got a very good deal on it as my landlord had it sitting and wasn't using it.

Paid 1/2 price or less for it. :)