Workin' Down @ The Lake

Just curious, is there power on this island? Will the utility give you a feed?

Completely off grid.

Unfortunately they will not run power as it's too costly to do so through the bush with no roads.

Too bad as there is a hydro plant less than a mile away from my place.

I will eventually be running solar with generator backup but just running generator at this time.

Not an island, it's a peninsula. ;)

Capture_zps7aeav0mj.png

Installed some sheathing under the stairs and beside the basement doorway today. Also cut down the door frames to the correct size now that I have the doors out here. Gave them a coat of paint as well. Got 2 out of 3 deck ledger boards installed as well as the flashing behind them. Too hot out today though. Next couple of days are supposed to be worse.

13717314_1483958708297130_48216807645502

Sounds like we are sending our heat out there Dave.

Humidex today was about 40, stinkin' hot................

Not much in the humidex here.

Just lots of sun with no pollution to cut it down.

Plus there's that whole, hole in the ozone thing.

It's not really all that hot temp wise but the sun is very intense up here because of the clear air.

Lack of wind isn't helping either. ;)

Not much in the humidex here.

Just lots of sun with no pollution to cut it down.

Plus there's that whole, hole in the ozone thing.

It's not really all that hot temp wise but the sun is very intense up here because of the clear air.

Lack of wind isn't helping either. ;)

No forest fires? When I was up there a couple summers ago, you couldn't BREATHE without inhaling freakin' smoke! :angry:

Haven't been overly ambitious at the cabin today.

Too dang hot!!! Got the last ledger board up and the first 4x4 post and end rim board. Also got the last post saddle cemented in place.

Then it was time to hightail it inside. Snoozed for 4 1/2 hours.

Will go out and do some work when the sun starts to drop behind the trees.

13654308_1485010028191998_75265284269367

13669793_1485014468191554_24753346056695

Haven't been overly ambitious at the cabin today.

Too dang hot!!! Got the last ledger board up and the first 4x4 post and end rim board. Also got the last post saddle cemented in place.

Then it was time to hightail it inside. Snoozed for 4 1/2 hours.

Will go out and do some work when the sun starts to drop behind the trees.

13654308_1485010028191998_75265284269367

13669793_1485014468191554_24753346056695

I know the feeling.... I've been working in st. Joe's hospital on the Queensway and everything is under a negative pressure so to not allow any debris into surrounding areas... so every supply air is capped off and it's just sticky, stagnant air, makes for a quick sweat shower when you're working away

You just suck it up Sally and get to work, 30C is too hot? 30C on a Blast Furnace Casthouse floor is a cool tropical breeze. But I have to agree it sure isn't comfortable. We have 1 window 16 feet off the floor and I hate when I have to clean it and the ceiling fan. Invest in a good quality handle extension that will accept a squeegee. Then again when I was single I didn't do windows.

Keep up the great work Dave. You will have her all done before the snow flies. Are you planning on living there 365 when you retire Dave, I'm sure that's the plan if I remember? Do you have any Bears as neighbours? A 50 Cal mounted on the deck might be an upgrade. I don't think it's a commute to work unless you buy yourself a Black Hawk to go with the 50.

Keep up the great work Dave. You will have her all done before the snow flies. Are you planning on living there 365 when you retire Dave, I'm sure that's the plan if I remember? Do you have any Bears as neighbours? A 50 Cal mounted on the deck might be an upgrade. I don't think it's a commute to work unless you buy yourself a Black Hawk to go with the 50.

Yup, we gots bears. :D

I have a couple of different plans for retirement.

Both require the $$$$ I'll make by selling off the cabin here.

I don't plan to stay in the NWT when I'm finished working.

The current plan is to move somewhere nice with beaches and killer fishing (Panama).

If when I start spending some vacation time there I find it's not for me then Smithers BC is where I'll most likely end up. ;)

Little more productive day today. Still as hot as yesterday but there's a good wind and some clouds to knock down the killer rays.

13662060_1485905151435819_47726205612349

You gonna have a square dance there for 16 people??????????????

"Take your partner, dosy doe........."

Pray for northwest winds and heavy rain...............I watched the fires popping up every day around Great Slave Lake when we were there a few summers back. You would go past a bay and everything was normal, return an hour or two later and the whole hillside would be on fire, it was absolutely apocalyptic. Good luck, Dave!

Doug

Edited by akaShag

If this were my place, I think the first thing I'd be investing in, would be a high volume gas water pump and a few lengths of fire hose. Maybe even install a perforated pipe, that would run the length of the roof ridge; it be like a soaker hose for the house.

It be a shame for all that work to go up like kindling.

Dan.

If this were my place, I think the first thing I'd be investing in, would be a high volume gas water pump and a few lengths of fire hose. Maybe even install a perforated pipe, that would run the length of the roof ridge; it be like a soaker hose for the house.

It be a shame for all that work to go up like kindling.

Dan.

I was thinking the same. Also wondering how or what the water system is going to be, but I'm sure you could probably drink the water right from the lake there .....I would.

S.