Workin' Down @ The Lake

This thing will keep my halibut frozen on the trip back from Alaska no problem.

Pretty sure I can jam at least $600 worth of yummy halibut in there frozen and it will still be completely frozen solid when I get home a few days later. So far after 1/2 a day the ice hasn't even started to think of melting yet.

WOW!!!!!!!

And I did think my Coleman Extreme cooler was pretty good..............

That is a very impressive cooler!!

I have an older igloo cooler that we use on our trips. On the way up (about an 8 hour drive); I pack the food in the cooler with about 4 lbs of dry ice. I can get it here at Praxair for $2.00 a pound.; everything stays froze solid and there's no wet packaging; when we get to camp.

On the way home; everything that has been froze (properly packaged fish LOL) gets wrapped in an old sleeping bag, so that the frozen packages are in the center. Then stuff the bag into the cooler; along with any towels or whatever to fill the cooler tight.

Get home and unpack the cooler and the frost will still be on the outside of the packages and the fillets as hard as a brick.

I didn't believe this would work; when the camp owner told me to do this; 20 some years ago but it does. His question to me, when I was trying to buy ice from him; "what's the first thing you do when thawing fish; you put it in cold water right?" What does ice do when it begins to melt; turns into cold water and starts thawing your fish.

The newbes on our trips think I'm nuts, when they see me packing the cooler; but are quite surprised when I unpack it at home.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Got most of the loft sub-floor installed. Loft window is ready to be installed this weekend.

Got the saddles for the deck posts cemented in place. Also set up and installed the saddles for the combination out/generator house.

Got my window buddy coming to help install most of the windows this weekend. The big ones will have to wait a couple of weeks until our third hand is available. Going to have to bring in some scaffolding on the next trip out to get all set for the big day when it comes.

13599809_1475557645803903_43783679741664

Ran in to town today for supplies and when I came back the water bombers were working on a lightning caused fire from last nights storm.
The fire was 1.5-2 miles NE of my place. But there is a hydro dam between me and the fire so they tend to work pretty hard and fast on fires around me. ;)
Don't know if this will work but I took video of the water bombers.
They had a spotter plane working with them as well as a couple of choppers (may be bringing in ground crews).
I also changed the privacy settings on last nights video so hopefully it works too.

Just found out, my son was working about 5 or 6 KM from that fire and called it in. Says within 10 or 15 minutes they had bombers overhead and then the helicopters with ground crews

Edited by Dara

Just found out, my son was working about 5 or 6 KM from that fire and called it in. Says within 10 or 15 minutes they had bombers overhead and then the helicopters with ground crews

The joy of being close to important infrastructure.

My guess is the crew @ the hydro plant 1-2 kms away called it in as well. ;)

Things are slowly coming along.

Here's a better shot of the loft.

13603416_1480375571988777_69807332498159

I also finished the final 4 window openings today.

Tomorrow they get windows in them. Along with 3 other holes in the cabin.

The final 4 have to wait until my extra help is back from vacation.

13641071_1480375568655444_52509782834678

Monday is town day to resupply and then it's onto the deck and porch roof so I can order up my roofing.

Very nice, Dave. Maybe you will still have some work left for me to do when I make a trip up there in 2018? LOL

Honestly though, I would love to be working on something like that right now! I miss building stuff!

S.

I imagine you got the area around your place free of brush and trees with so many fires up in that area - man can you imagine after you get this place all built some fire takes it down - I guess you have some insurance against that - sure is a beautiful location - best wishes - Joe

I imagine you got the area around your place free of brush and trees with so many fires up in that area - man can you imagine after you get this place all built some fire takes it down - I guess you have some insurance against that - sure is a beautiful location - best wishes - Joe

Now there's a vote of optimism.....

7 New windows installed today!!! :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

View of the front 4 high windows.

13668720_1481161788576822_88973455548511

Front and North side 4'X6' North facing window in living room area.

13669455_1481161818576819_11362481300329

Inside pano shot from the loft looking out the front.

13641121_1481161891910145_46593744159518

View out the loft 4'X6' window.

13584986_1481161911910143_69886679423520

View out the window in kitchen/dining area.

13580473_1481161925243475_70281835977554

Just 4 more big bad windows to put in and they will be going in in a couple of weeks. ;D

And if you think I believe you don't have a crew of 6 guys out of the camera view you are nuts. If you are really solo I could have laid off 12 guys in my old crew. How does 1 guy put in windows 12 feet plus above ground solo?????????????????????????? you have 4 arms buddy and are 14 feet tall? Super Dave!

Just goes too show you what one person can do, when they work with their back and their head. Its one thing to work hard; but when you can work hard and smart at the same time; it's a whole different story.

Dave I think you've got it figured out!

Be proud man.

Dan.

And if you think I believe you don't have a crew of 6 guys out of the camera view you are nuts. If you are really solo I could have laid off 12 guys in my old crew. How does 1 guy put in windows 12 feet plus above ground solo?????????????????????????? you have 4 arms buddy and are 14 feet tall? Super Dave!

Well I'm glad someone said it!?!?!? LOLOL!!! Exceptional work Dave, especially for a single guy. Any chance you want to do some work in the Haliburton area of Ontario? ;-)

I had my window buddy help me with the windows. :D

It will take 3 of us to install the 4 big remaining windows.

Sometimes you gotta have a little help. ;)