Grand Caravan towing capabilities?

landry

First off - a pickup is not an option for my family right now.

So - I am looking to buy a 2015 Grand Caravan to tow my crestliner 1600 fish hawk aluminum. Loaded it likely weighs 2000 lbs including trailer, motor, boat and all extras.

Has anyone been using a caravan for similar towing and how does it work for you and is it holding up???

The guy at the dealership told me that all caravans come ready to tow with the enlarged cooling reservoirs already. He said the tow package is Bull and you can add a class three hitch to any of them. I want to believe that.

Back in 2000 the transmission went lame on my Caravan while returning from fishing trip in NW Ontario. Towed it from upstate Illinois to Cookeville, TN with a rented dolly and a Ryder truck. That's the only towing I'd do with any minivan, let alone one with a Chrysler transmission. My repair guy showed me the inside of the transmission and I'm surprised it didn't go sooner. It's underbuilt for towing.

I would never purchase a used minivan equipped with a trailer hitch.

To clarify, he said the CVP is the only model that does not have enlarged reservoirs.

I have been running a Mazda MPV and it has been fine. Caravans are cheap and vans are just kind of lame so I don't want to spending on a van of any kind. Lol.

I have a great deal lined up but am wavering.

Edited by landry

My dad's been towing for 20 years with those things. He uses it just like a pickup truck, kinda funny to watch actuallyt. They get beat up but they last for years and he pulls what he needs to pull. Nothing too heavy, but tent trailers, loaded utility trailers, sleds etc.

I like minivans, I just wouldn't want to own one hahaha.

Are you looking at brand new or slightly used? If it is new you can get an extended warrantly and CAA Plus to aleviate some of your concerns. It may still end up being cheaper than other vehicles.

An extended warranty may still be an option on a used 2015.

Right now, due to these very expensive children (and wife) - LOL - the Caravan is an affordable vehicle for our needs so I grudgingly bought one this afternoon.

The pickup will have to wait.

Thanks for everyone's input.

here you go...I have a 2013 Caravan that I use to tow a 16'8" Alumacraft with a 90 hp and full console. I also tried to add a tranny cooler and was told it was not necessary....people turning down business? Gotta be true I guess. I tow from Guelph to St Clair and Guelph to Pigeon...no problem been doing it a couple years. Gas mileage gets cut in half though! And others have said, stick to paved launches. Get a hitch and have at er!

I have a pal that has an early 90's Chrysler something Van, the ID badges fell off years ago. There isn;t any paint on the hood and 1st half of the roof. The sliding door is held closed with a bungee cord. The radio sits on the dash board with wires going under the dash. His shifter is a vice grip plier. His heater is a space heater and the defroster is a small fan. He has 4 different tires, 1 is usually a donut. You get the picture and I kid you not. Runs that Van from Hamilton to here about 40 miles each way once or twice a week. We hid it and he was going to report it stolen. Man.

He tows trailers full of topsoil, firewood or bricks, a pop up camper, and a 70 something 16 foot fibreglass boat with a 60 horse the size of a house.

I think your new Van will tow a boat.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I had a caravan for a few years, a while back, and it towed my 16ft'er no problem. It hauled a hell of a load too. I think i put almost 400k on it before I finally got rid of it. I didn't mind it at all, except that it was a mini van lol