Ya don't need to be a cop to rescue somebody. I have rescued many people including the cops over the last 40 yrs on the water. Its just the proper thing to do.

10-4. I've been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time on several occasions. Living right on the water we get to see more than the average person would and we have learned to spot the trouble signs like; guys paddling a power boat or someone with the hood off their motor and cranking it like crazy or even a boat running way too deep in the water.

We will always do what we can but I think our cops deserve a lot more respect than they get, if you are good, then they are usually good.

Just last week a guy was out on haviland Bay, Lake Superior in a 12' tinny.

He tipped over somehow, the water is 40 degrees tops.

He just happened to have a life jacket on and a whistle on a rope around his neck.

Blew the whistle, campers heard it and pulled him out.

Lucky or smart?

Why stupid?

as far as I understand it wasn't really too rough out there that day

he just had some bad luck, maybe hit a wave bad or leaned over, crap happens and if you're prepared you make it through

Edited by Dara

Stupid and lucky.

Whats the difference between a 12 or 14 ft tinny, or even a 18ft when crap happens? I was out in my 14ft sylvan tiller one summer morning. Calm, as calm can be. 4 hours later,east blows up and Im at the boat launch waiting to get out, along with 5 other boats. With 4-5 foot rollers that came up in 5 minutes, It got to the point, I was not waiting no more and just drove the boat onto the cement ramp. Boat got swamped, but was on land. Just bailed it out and loaded it on the trailer. I would say, I was smart and lucky I didnt get flipped waiting. It was me or the tinny. We both made it.

Edited by Brian B

Whats the difference between a 12 or 14 ft tinny, or even a 18ft when crap happens? I was out in my 14ft sylvan tiller one summer morning. Calm, as calm can be. 4 hours later,east blows up and Im at the boat launch waiting to get out, along with 5 other boats. With 4-5 foot rollers that came up in 5 minutes, It got to the point, I was not waiting no more and just drove the boat onto the cement ramp. Boat got swamped, but was on land. Just bailed it out and loaded it on the trailer. I would say, I was smart and lucky I didnt get flipped waiting. It was me or the tinny. We both made it.

Huge difference, in a 18ft boat you're actually prepared if the bad weather kicks up, a 12ft tinny on Lake Superior, not so much. There's a time and place for small boats, that's one lake I wouldn't tempt my fate on. Add Nipigon to that list as well. I've been out there when she kicks up and it gets really nasty, really quick.

I'll take my chances in a 14' boat over a 12' boat. The Titanic sunk too, granted, but temping fate iin a big cold lake in a 12' boats either brave or stupid. I vote for just plain stupid in this case. And I agree with BillM here, again!!!! Wow wa weewa!

Huge difference, in a 18ft boat you're actually prepared if the bad weather kicks up, a 12ft tinny on Lake Superior, not so much. There's a time and place for small boats, that's one lake I wouldn't tempt my fate on. Add Nipigon to that list as well. I've been out there when she kicks up and it gets really nasty, really quick.

I'm thinking you missed the Haviland Bay part..its somewhat sheltered from the big lake. The Superior part was to describe water temp..there is still ice out there

Lots of people run around in 12' boats there but they stay close to shore

There is drownable (a new word?) water close to shore. I've seen a family of 5 including 2 kids a mile out on Erie in a 14 foot tinny on calm water more than a few times, tell me that's a smart decision. I pulled up and asked the gentlemen what in the hell is he thinking and his reply was we are close to shore, idiot.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

What a silly argument. Of course a bigger boat is better on big water, or cold water.

Stuff happens

The guy on superior might have fished that spot his whole life without incident? I dont know?

I mean I like to decrease my odds of dying on a fishing outing as much as possible, but its never 100% safe.

Im not even gonna lie, if I lived on superiors shores and all I had was a 12ft tinny id hit the bays and shorelines too(odds are).

And I already swam in superior and its amazing there is even an ice out season. Its fricken cold man

Edited by manitoubass2

I've only been out 4 times in my own boats on lake o ( whitby and west end) and they have buzzed me all 4 times never pulled alongside. I like Georgian bay policy. They pull up out of your spread and say show me your life jackets, and hold up your boaters card, have a nice day.

I was actually worried when I saw them this passed Sunday . I didn't have paddles with me like I'm supposed to. Like I'm gonna paddle a 22 ft boat 3 miles to shore.

You don't need a paddle, If you have anchor and 100ft of rope.

I can't find on the websites for boat regs in Canada where you are exempt from have a manual propelling devise if you have an anchor with a 100 foot rope. On one federal site for obtaining a boaters card there are statements made that just don't jive from what I have been taught. Like a light is required for operating a boat after dark but no mention of floating light or just waterproof, and if operating during daylight. It talks about needing a fire extinguisher for I/O motors or inboard gas tanks but doesn't say anything about a Marine approved (white) extinguisher. I am specifically trying to find out if the light the OPP are always checking to see if it works has to be water proof or can float. A light that can sink seems useless to me on the water. The site is boatsmartexam.com. It has some info but mostly general info. without much detail.

I am having problems navigating the federal sites for pleasure boat safety requirements like most dot gov sites. Can someone give me a link to pleasure boat requirements? Please.

Thanks. Maybe I should start a new thread.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I ve had many encounters with the police on the water, only 2 were bad, durham region on lake scugog ran over our lines trolling then proceeded to carry on about how its our fault blah blah blah, poor co in boat was clearly embarresed by the cops lack education.

Other time was in bass boat just let launch by my house with wife, let boat warm up while turning on all electronics and doing my checks for gear, pumps strapping rods ect, turned around and headed to goosebay after getting to a area to fish cop boat pulls up and calls me everything but a white man for doing a u turn and "outrunning" them cop 1 inspects all my gear I put it away then cop 2 wants me to pull it all out again so he can inspect it, after that i make use of several choice words and afraid we'll never be facebook friends, full on power trip that day.

most of the time thought there chatty and friendly enough, usually get a wave and a pass from them and when i do get stopped once the see jackets on deck they usually dont go further, i ve even pulled card out of wallet vessel papers that are duct taped inside glove box and opened hatch ad get told dont worry about it, we believe you lol got 20 rods on deck bet you got a $20 SAFETY KIT.

the other side of the coin is cops are people too, and after stopping hundreds of boats and gettin attitude from people i would be getting crusty as well, they can keep that job thankless that it is