A neighbor dropped by to visit

lew

Went out on the back deck a few minutes ago and found this big ole black bear in the yard.

He's in the shadows so is a bit hard to see.

rsz_1rsz_022-001.jpg

I took a picture of this bear in the yard last summer and who knows, maybe it's the same one.

318a5ba3-51a1-4a7e-a1e7-2d4a2d019f74.jpg

Bears aren't un-common around here and it's always nice when they show up.

Yup, always careful when their in the area.

We're down the end of a mile & a half dirt road and I go for a 2-3 mile hike most mornings before sunup and always make some noise while walking.

My wife and some girl friends in the day and always carry air horns with them just in case. does the same hike later

Man Rick, carry an air horn???? First off I wouldn't be going for any walks in the dark unless the path had street lights, if I did I sure wouldn't be carrying an air horn, it would be a 50 cal. minimum. Since we moved to what we call the "country" I won't take the garbage out after dark 40 feet from the door. You country folks are nuts.

edit, strike that, you are completely nuts!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Meh, bears arent out to kill ya.

Frig in ear falls I could almost pet them(thats kinda pushing it lol)

Ive been charged once but totally my fault, i got between the momma and her cubs(without knowing at the time)

Live in NW ontario and bears are just normal appearances.

Thats a healthy bear lew

Here ya go OI, just sayin hello lol

julyaug2011152.jpg

Is there something in the water in the Artic watershed for G's sakes? I would rather deal with the Bloods or Crips or a couple of wiseguys in the club than a Bear .Charged by a Bear? What kind of dinner conversation is that? "Oh honey a funny thing happened to me on the way home, I got between Mama Bear and Baby Bears and she charged at me." How exactly does one get between Bear and her Cubs? I'm afraid to ask.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Is there something in the water in the Artic watershed for G's sakes? I would rather deal with the Bloods or Crips or a couple of wiseguys in the club than a Bear .Charged by a Bear? What kind of dinner conversation is that? "Oh honey a funny thing happened to me on the way home, I got between Mama Bear and Baby Bears and she charged at me." How exactly does one get between Bear and her Cubs? I'm afraid to ask.

That was a gnarly experience. I was shore fishing with my kids.

Behind us was a hill and in front some tall grass.

I seen the bear early but it was a good 150 yards away or so. I just told the kids to keep an eye on it. Never did nothing for like an hour so i wasnt too worried.

Then the kids told me shes moving. So i sent them home on a route around the rapids and told them to tell mom to call 911 and get down there in the vehicle right away. I didnt have a cell phone back then lol.

Just as the kids left the bear came at me full tilt. Covered that 159 in no time flat. I had nothing but tackle lol and outta instinct i grabbed a fillet knife haha.

She stopped about 10ft away, stood up and pounded the ground. She did this for a few minutes then turned and walked into the long grass. Maybe it was seconds im not sure? But it sure felt long lol.

Took like 3 hours for my heart rate to return to normal hahahaha

But outta hundreds of encounters thats the only scary one

That was a gnarly experience. I was shore fishing with my kids.

Behind us was a hill and in front some tall grass.

I seen the bear early but it was a good 150 yards away or so. I just told the kids to keep an eye on it. Never did nothing for like an hour so i wasnt too worried.

Then the kids told me shes moving. So i sent them home on a route around the rapids and told them to tell mom to call 911 and get down there in the vehicle right away. I didnt have a cell phone back then lol.

Just as the kids left the bear came at me full tilt. Covered that 159 in no time flat. I had nothing but tackle lol and outta instinct i grabbed a fillet knife haha.

She stopped about 10ft away, stood up and pounded the ground. She did this for a few minutes then turned and walked into the long grass. Maybe it was seconds im not sure? But it sure felt long lol.

Took like 3 hours for my heart rate to return to normal hahahaha

But outta hundreds of encounters thats the only scary one

Bears are only dangerous in certain situations, get between mama and her cubs, walk up on them suddenly, or when they're feeding, other than that, they're pretty calm and serine,

They're beautiful creatures, just give em a little respect.

Just don't be like these citiots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgT1jEzPMDw

Many, many encounters, never a problem.

Nice to see Lew, so many people would want to kill it because they are afraid of them.

My neighbor says we should all throw in some $$$$ and hire a hunter to kill all the bears in the area cause they "may" cause problems some day.

My neighbor says we should all throw in some $$$$ and hire a hunter to kill all the bears in the area cause they "may" cause problems some day.

Wow Lew! Thats crazy talk.

Is there something back there they like to forage on? Or just taking a break while passing through?

Nothing out of the ordinary for them to eat Rick but they get spotted quite often.

This is a mom & 4 cubs up a tree just 150' from the end of my driveway a couple years back.

img002-1-1.jpg

Nobody around here has ever heard of a bad incident between them and people though and some folks have been here 50 odd years.

I think this is the 4th I've seen in my yard.

black bears are usually totally ok, however brown bears....you are quiet simply food to them.

My cousins best friend was mauled by a brown in Alberta, the thing clamped onto his head and then started eating his leg. it then left for a bit and left buddy dying, he then came back and started eating his leg some more, the guy finally convinced the bear that he wasnt worth the tasty meal after gouging its eyes enough.

He then was rescued and survived but was in intensive care for months. They are no friggin joke.

I thought that in Ontario anyway black and brown bears were just different colour phases of the same species, just like black and grey squirrels, red phase and grey phase of Ruffed Grouse and Screech Owls. The Brown bears on the West Coast are an entirely different species. Don't think the colour of the fur could cause any behavioural differences.

I think your right dave.

I used to think they were totally grizzlies around here and I remember on here a much more knowledgable fella broke it down for me.

I dont think they are totally the same, you can see a structural difference in the head and the ones ive seen are def. Bigger then the blacks.

Never seen one aggresive though.