Backyard Speckin' 2015 - Updated with big fish

Rod Caster

UPDATE:

I took a break from making ATV trails (so close to the river now!) and decided to throw a few spinners. The water was down and the fish were in shallow current. This is the biggest spec I've caught in this river, and maybe my 3rd or 4th biggest ever. The fight was incredible in 1.5 feet of water in high current, just like fighting a small rainbow in the shallow creeks.

Estimated at 15 to 16". Released. He (?) sat in a quiet pool for about 8 minutes before swimming away... I really hope he makes it...he was not deep hooked.

IMG_20150620_193033_zpspwl9hush.jpg

IMG_20150620_193027_zpsxue4t2qi.jpg

Can you find the hidden brookie??

IMG_20150620_193141_zps0cot1i2j.jpg

I haven't posted much lately due to silly computer issues... but I always liked sharing pictures of the trout I catch off my own property and the random things I do, so here we go.

First attempt this year; not much luck and the water was very cold!

IMG_0015_zpscr82nxgk.jpg

The lawn finally turned a healthy green. My new ride as well.

IMG_0021_zpsqmwf4vet.jpg

Spagetti monster!

IMG_0044_zpsdnocolsk.jpg

Almost a year old now

IMG_0051_zpsq3mpbzpi.jpg

Twice in two weeks. I played vet the first time, the second time he got it much worse. I assume his thoughts are in the range of " I'LL GET THAT PORCUPINE NEXT TIME"

IMG_0054_zpsdzmfptjg.jpg

Thinning the forest and cutting stovewood. A big ol' maple way past prime

IMG_0091_zpsj0yhsbfu.jpg

Yesterday! I walked down the hill, through the thickets to the river that runs through my property to chase a meal. The fishing was slow as it's still a bit early, but the one pool was loaded with big specks. Average size was 10 to 12" with a solid 13" coming in at the end. The photos kind of suck because these iPhones have cameras that don't know how to focus properly.

IMG_0100_zpseogmy4sd.jpg

IMG_0102_zpsncoeonjt.jpg

IMG_0105_zps7tsy1wep.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsk7wdwdso.jpg

We went for an evening walk later in the day and enjoyed some brews and a sunset.

IMG_0115_zps7hpjpztp.jpg

Enjoying some homemade maple syrup...yuummmm

IMG_0008_zpsb0ov6fez.jpg

That's all for now!

Chad

Edited by Rod Caster

• 4 weeks later...

Beauty fish Chad. I knew there would be some in there that size. Easiest way to find them id lowest water possible in Temp range of 60-70 degrees. Then they'll stack up in the first deep pocket in the thauwag to take advantage of the high oxygen content and conveyor belt of food.