Coyotes ????? WTH..... Questions....

Gerritt

Not sure if anyone is trying to exterminate the species at the moment, just control the numbers. I was just trying to illustrate the point that you couldn't exterminate them even if you tried.(in the past people have tried exterminating all kinds of critters) People have trapped, poisoned, and shot them from aircraft with little affect on their numbers or expanding range, even with bounties in place. Another reason for there expansion is the reduction in wolf numbers, a less adaptable species. Nature doesn't like a void and the coyote is filling it. And to your second point, last time I checked I didn't see any signs here saying "no Asian Carp wanted" either. Both species are here to stay whether we like it or not but people will always try controlling them.

Asian Carp are a good example of we humans interfering!

Ignorance is bliss I guess..........

Perhaps we need to realize that we live in a country with big bad critters all lining up to eat us. Maybe we need to learn how to adapt and stop blaming mother nature????

hmm, since when are humans not part of nature?....a coyote gets killed by a wolf, the pack learns to avoid wolves....I shoot a coyote, the pack learns to stay away from my dogs....mother nature working in perfect harmony IMO

this guy is gonna keep my head warm next winter :)

skinnedoutcoyote_zpsb5977277.jpg

If you're so worried about your pets, same thing, go live somewhere else

Live where? What about the people already living in urban centres with Coyotes in their backyards that weren't there before? People have to live somewhere too. What about the farmer losing livestock? Is he suppose to move too, or let them kill at will? I'm neither a farmer nor someone who fears for my pets, but I don't begrudge people that want to protect their property either. I mean we are talking about Coyotes here, not White Rhinos.

hmm, since when are humans not part of nature?....a coyote gets killed by a wolf, the pack learns to avoid wolves....I shoot a coyote, the pack learns to stay away from my dogs....mother nature working in perfect harmony IMO

this guy is gonna keep my head warm next winter :)

skinnedoutcoyote_zpsb5977277.jpg

I sure wish your posts had 10% of the logic of your signatures!

Always nice to see hunters getting blasted by fellow outdoorsman for participating in a legal, sustainable harvest of an animal. Try telling a farmer they have no right to shoot brazen coyotes damaging their livestock herds. Do any of you buy local meat? It's a little late in the game for that kind of idealism. Coyotes will forever be a part of Ontarios rural and urban landscape, and a harvest of the more fearless animals is nothing to fret about :)

I'm not particularly fond of killing animals for reasons other than meat either, but for many it is necessary given their location and/or lifestyle. Guess they should pack up and move to the GTA with you guys, then we can all cry foul together when a poor little coyote gets shot.

LOL I'll try to work on it for ya

where's the logic in one of group of outdoorsman, arguing with another legal group of outdoorsman, based purely on emotional opinions? shooting coyotes is legal, not hurting their population, and to chris' one point, yes the hide is not wasted, it's being used to make me a new hat!

LOL I'll try to work on it for ya

where's the logic in one of group of outdoorsman, arguing with another legal group of outdoorsman, based purely on emotional opinions? shooting coyotes is legal, not hurting their population, and to chris' one point, yes the hide is not wasted, it's being used to make me a new hat!

Are you making the hat yourself?

My sons grampa on his mothers side made a few really nice coyote hats. They sure are warm!

I've got a neighbor who shoots red squirrels because they get into his cottage because his soffit is wide open.

Another neighbor shoots pileated wood peckers (probably illegal) because they put holes in his trees.

This mentality rubs me the wrong way.

Suck it up buttercup, there's critters out there that may not act the way you want them to.

I live in the GTA because that's where me and my wife get our paychecks. I've got a crappy, tiny backyard with no coyotes but it has a great view of cool buildings, houses, nice pavement. If the wind is right, I can hear the melodic hum of the QEW.

When I was a kid, still living on the farm; my dad had a few shot guns hidden in the barn & out buildings. They came in quite handy when the coyotes came around looking for another meal of our chickens, geese, lambs and goats. Now matter how well we tried securing the chicken coop, they would always find a way in. Talk about a man (My Dad) with a hate for coyotes, especially after having to bury 30 or so of his laying hens or other animals that were half eaten; with some still alive that had to be put down.

Dan.

I've got a neighbor who shoots red squirrels because they get into his cottage because his soffit is wide open.

Another neighbor shoots pileated wood peckers (probably illegal) because they put holes in his trees.

This mentality rubs me the wrong way.

Suck it up buttercup, there's critters out there that may not act the way you want them to.

I live in the GTA because that's where me and my wife get our paychecks. I've got a crappy, tiny backyard with no coyotes but it has a great view of cool buildings, houses, nice pavement. If the wind is right, I can hear the melodic hum of the QEW.

Don't you live in Oakville? LOTS of coyotes here.

Yes, I prefer to call it Jokeville.

Lots of scat, rabbit fur, I've seen one while on my mountain bike. I have a dog, cat and a newborn. I am scared, very scared.

Lol thats awesome?

Pretty much same stance here. We let them be. They get close and my dog takes care of em.

My kids are out in the bush right now, and im not one bit worried

We have tons around Alliston . My folks have 4 small dogs, chickens cattle and horses. Never seen one in the "yard". Even at night they stay on their side of the fencleline. We can be having a bonfire and they will come up about 100 yards away, but never had a problem. I don't think I would shoot one unless it was sick and brave, they look to much like my pets I guess. Raccoons on the other hand get shot on sight, they make a horrible mess in the barns and eat the chickens.

Edited by Freshtrax

Yes, I prefer to call it Jokeville.

Lots of scat, rabbit fur, I've seen one while on my mountain bike. I have a dog, cat and a newborn. I am scared, very scared

Ha. Wasn't saying you should be scared. Just saying you likely do have coyotes nearby(your post above suggested you thought you didn't).

How did asking advice about their calls turn into this?

Outdoorsman vs. outdoorsman..

I was hoping to get solid advice.

G

I was thinking the exact same thing.

This post is making my head spin. But, once the first "their's so many coyotes in the city" post came up, and people not respecting the OP.... This one was bound to go a little south.

G.... I hope you found some good info on coyote vocalizations! That's why I have been following this post. But obviously any chance of helping the OP in this post is long gone.