How can you be happy with a $17 rod?

Dave Bailey

Very, if you're me. 22 years ago I bought an inexpensive Shimano combo up in Huntsville, because I decided that it was time to get back into fishing after years away. We had a few days at Algonquin so it was put to use immediately. Well, last year at Killarney that faithful old FX2652A finally bit the dust, but it died a hero after getting some nice fish, including my first ever lake trout. My Pflueger was called into action, but I almost cried over losing a faithful companion.

Replacement time, and I didn't want anything other than another inexpensive Shimano to mate with the FX2000 reel (never had a lick of maintenance, still works fine). Poking around Sail in Oshawa the other day rewarded me, a Shimano S-66MB2 for the princely sum of $17. Rod and reel have been mated, and they sit in the car waiting for their first adventure.

Might head out later for some crappie, if there's open water. Because FISHING!

My very first favourite fishing rod was a fresh tree branch (don't remember type of tree) with 7 feet of fishing line tied to the tip. Overhand knot.

The parabolic bend on that branch was unmatched to this day. I was hooked.

I had a combo very similar, used for the better part of 20 years, caught a lot of firsts and bests on it. It was early 60's vintage Shakespeare "Wonderrod ", old timers will remember the their " Howald Process " and the logo " the straight fiber rod with the spiral markings " . Cheap rods were still solid fiber glass back then. It was teamed up with a blue Ambidex No.4 spinning reel. The rod I recall came from the Coles Book Store at the Pen Center in St Catharines, surprisingly they had a very good selection of fishing tackle in those days, I don't recall if the fishing tackle was unique to this store. The reel came from the downstairs sporting goods dept of Herzog's Mens Wear on St Paul in St. Catharines. Both unlikely places today to buy tackle. Shakespeare had a factory that we used to pass going north up around Barrie, probably on the 11 or the 427.

Edit : the rod and the reel were both under $17, but actually decent gear in their day.

Edited by dave524

Wow! I remember both stores you are referring to. I didn't know Coles had fishing gear. Herzogs had fishing gear? I do remember Herzogs had excellent hockey equipment when I was a teen.

i'm guesstimateing this would have been 62/63. The Pen Centre at that time was still pretty new and an open air shopping centre far smaller than today's enclosed mall. I grew up on the Canborough Rd, between Ridgeville and Fenwick, just west of your Fonthill.

My dad still uses the same setup he bought 40 years for $35, Zebco Cardinal 4, he bought for $20, still has the box with the price tage, and a blue rod he bought for $15, the blue varnish/paint on the rod is long gone, and its now a mix of black and clear graphite, his cardinal reel still in perfect condition.

my rods range from $20-$900, the rod I use for pier casting for salmon is a $25 spinning rod from Gander Mountain! I love it, it was my first stream fishing rod. casting is smooth and easy, and it handles the big fish with ease

My very first favourite fishing rod was a fresh tree branch (don't remember type of tree) with 7 feet of fishing line tied to the tip. Overhand knot.

My Dad used to take me and my two brothers fishing about 2-3 times a summer when we were quite young ( < 12). He would stop by Crappy Tire to pick up line and very few terminal tackle and we were off to find a trout stream in rural New Brunswick! He always seemed to find a great spot easily back then.

My brothers and I felt like true outdoors men finding our own branches (poles), stringing them up, finding worms under a rock/log and being successful at catching a pan fry. Anytime we had a shore lunch, we talked about it for days after.

Thanks for triggering that memory!

ya baby I remember a Berkley bonanza rod . lotsa fish had grooves in the line guides. remember when I blew 32 bucks on a d.a.m. quik. a days pay. people thought I was crazy. still have that reel 1971.. 2cool I remember a tree branch single hook and brookie fishin. awesome but the skeeters always ate me.

You used it for fishing so your dad wouldn't beat you with it! LOL

A comedian once said that his father asked him to "get me something to beat you with".

He came back with a piece of paper!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm guesstimateing this would have been 62/63. The Pen Centre at that time was still pretty new and an open air shopping centre far smaller than today's enclosed mall. I grew up on the Canborough Rd, between Ridgeville and Fenwick, just west of your Fonthill.

I might have been your paperboy. Evening Tribune.