Remember when we thought wearing PINK was gay? NF

misfish

I will be the first to admit,ya it was gay, but it seems todays generation knows how to make that, pink a positive.

Tough guy with tats got pink hair. I wont mess with him,LOL

There are many changes these days I dont agree with,but this pink day thing,Im all for the stop the bullying.. This is something I have seen happen when I was younger alot. The fear on some of them kids when getting bullied was not nice to watch. Getting beat on by one or more fellow peers. I stepped in when I could and got into many fights doing so. Not many back then would be your friend if you stepped up. That brought on more fights for me. I dont regret the fighting. it was my thing back then. Even had a few 2-3 against one, due to standing up for those that couldnt.

Kudos to them.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1927265/day-of-pink-aims-to-end-bullying-and-discrimination/

Edited by Brian B

Ill wear my pink golf shirt on the 8th than, never worn it and not gone golfing so maybe ill have to find a course to hit too!

That being said bullying is a scourge that can and needs to be stopped. I have been bullied fought the bullies and stood up for those being bullied and frankly so should everyone else when possible.

Kudos to these brave kids!

and most people did believe you are what you wear

and many people did think if you were wearing pink you were gay

And a lot of folks say that you are what you eat. So I have friends who are nuts, some are fruits , some are animals.....even a few vegetables. It's all childish garbage.

well of course it was, but the 60 70 and 80s too. were different times

in the 60s it was illegal to be gay, so gay bashing was pretty common

times have changed

It was also OK to physically abuse wife and child in the 60's. Lord knows how many times my aunt slipped on that bar of soap.

Edited by bigugli

well of course it was, but the 60 70 and 80s too. were different times

in the 60s it was illegal to be gay, so gay bashing was pretty common

times have changed

In the sixties the term gay did not mean what it means today, I knew several girls from that time whose first name was Gay and it was even a common surname then. There was a Gay Motor Sales close to where I grew up and a good friend at the time was John Gay, there was no stigma attached to gay at that time. I don't recall being gay or homosexual being a crime but buggery was a crime.

"I will be the first to admit,ya it was gay, but it seems todays generation knows how to make that, pink a positive."

It sounds like you are saying being gay is a negative thing....no wonder then people get bullied for being gay. Suggesting a color is representative of a persons sexuality only perpetuates the stereotypes which people base and justify their bigoted, discriminatory and bullying behaviour.

To go further with my rant lets talk about gender stereotypes and the whole pink camo/fishergirl thing...or maybe not.....

Edited by limeyangler

My first dress shirt I bought myself was pink. Wore it to my sister in laws wedding. Grey pants and jacket, Grey and pink tie.

And yes I looked HOT :D

1981. Haven't bought anything with pink in it since then. No problem with pink on a guy. If I had an office type job I'm sure I would probably have some other stuff with pink in it. Never understood how any colour can be ruled as a do not wear colour :wallbash:

Never saw any bullying where I grew up. None...Zero. Lots of merciless teasing though....lots. I think there is a fine line between teasing and bullying and a lot of people that claim to be bullied just need to grow a thicker skin.

I never bullied a gay person and as far as gays go,thats their choice. I said pink was gay, I didn't say they were gay.The color was gay back in my days. The color..

Well I'm 50 years old and pink is not a color that any of the gay people I know associate with their identity, it was ascribed to them. The Gay community I know is as diverse as it can get and does not define itself in terms of a color and I find it offensive when people feel they have a right to define other peoples identities based on whatever.

Working in a steel mill with the grit and grime associated with it.. you wouldn't expect a gay person to want to work there but they did and still do.. rarely do they come out due to the stigma attached..plus the fact that we have communal showers might have discouraged them..i really don't care either way because they don't bother hitting on straight guys anyways, neither do the lesbians hit on the girls. I've never liked bullying but I'm not going to wear pink.. it's just not my color...

Maybe Im coming across the wrong way here Simon. I have nothing against them. I said the color. No matter to me, todays generation is making a stand to stop bullying. This is a stand that needs to be taken. That was my main point to this thread. They just happen to be sporting the pink color.LOL